New challenge

Mwhwsmith

A strange thing has happened …

Some of the regulars on here may recall I bought my V20 when I signed up with a few colleagues for a London to Paris charity ride. Suffice to say I probably did underestimate the challenge of getting comfortable on my Vendetta but, with thanks to those on here whose advice was very helpful, I made it … (http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/paris-or-bust-probably-bust.8344/)

Well six weeks has passed since this ride and I found myself being drawn to concept of long distance cycle rides. So I have signed up to my first Audax in 15 days. Given it is my first, I thought I should go for the entry level classical distance of 200km and I picked one that was local and comparatively flat.

I now have a few more questions for those wiser and more familiar with Audax events:

a) Essential hardware: when I did my last ride I was ‘fully supported’ and didn’t need to carry much with me. However, I will need to be self-sufficient. I’m thinking 2x inner tubes, 2x inflators, tyre levers, multi-tool, pump, 10x zip-ties, spare USN battery (for Garmin and Phone)

b) Essential software: I wasn’t going to take much beyond perhaps a light rain jacket, suncream, sunglasses, cash, credit card. I should get round in ~10hrs so I don’t think I need much else.

c) Fuel: I was going to carry fluids and food sufficient for 4hrs ride (1.5litres of fluid, three flapjacks and 3-4 gels) and work on the basis that I will eat / restock fluids at café’s and corner shops wherever possible. Given the ride is not at all remote, if this sensible or too much?

d) Other: Do I need to grow any facial hair in advance?

Have I missed anything?

Many thanks

Mike

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
If you're not used to riding long distance, I would also add some ibuprofen tablets, a few Excedrin tablets, and some caffeine tablets as a backup just in case. The pain pills are for pain (such as back pain). The caffeine is to give you a boost when you need it (I don't carry it any anymore, but I'm used to long rides). You also can pack some electrolytes to use around the 60 to 80 mile point (I don't do that anymore either, but I used to when I was not as well trained). The combination of dehydration, lack of muscle training for that distance, riding hard, climbing, and loss of electrolytes can cause severe cramping, which will put an end your ride quickly. You might also want to pack some tube patches in case you blow out both tubes (it happens). And try to keep your overall weight (you and your bike and your stuff) as light as possible, of course. Just my thoughts on the matter.

LMT

Hi Mike

What audax ride are you doing?

And as a veteran of a few 200k rides and a SR series I'll say the following:-

a) Is about right, my kit is about the same when doing a 200, except I carry AA batteries for the Garmin Etrex and the phone I usually keep turned off.

b) All depends on the weather, if it's raining, sure take a light rain jacket, if not then a gillet and some leg/arm weathers usually does the trick but this all depends on the weather. Check before hand and with weather bagel you can upload your gpx track, input an average speed and it will give the weather at points throughout the ride. Regarding money and such, I find a pencil case does the trick, in this I keep some cash, debit card, driving license, brevet card, keys, pen and phone. That way you don't have to carry a wallet around with you an you keep all the important things in one place.

c) That's sensible, I usually carry some Nunn tablets with me and some shot blocks. Refuelling at the controls as I go round.

d) Just enjoy the day, remember the max limit is 30kph, and audax has come a long way since steelies, beards and carradice bags. Sure you do get them still but on rides lately I've seen some blinged out carbon bikes as new age cyclists begin to realise that Sportives are overpriced for what they are and they start to convert to audax riding.

LMT

I'm doing this one:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-388/

I thought it would be a great first Audax. I know that part of the world very well having studied in teh area and got married nearby. Its also a pretty flat route so shoudln;t be too hard.

I'll see you there! The organiser Tom Deakins is a great bloke whose rides are really well thought out. I'm doing this ride to get my ''Essex SR'' having missed out on the Essex 200 back in March, but having done his 300, 400 and 600k rides.

Some more details on the ride and if you want some more advice about audax in general here:-
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91295.0

jond

Zen MBB Master
A strange thing has happened …

Some of the regulars on here may recall I bought my V20 when I signed up with a few colleagues for a London to Paris charity ride. Suffice to say I probably did underestimate the challenge of getting comfortable on my Vendetta but, with thanks to those on here whose advice was very helpful, I made it … (http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/paris-or-bust-probably-bust.8344/)

Well six weeks has passed since this ride and I found myself being drawn to concept of long distance cycle rides. So I have signed up to my first Audax in 15 days. Given it is my first, I thought I should go for the entry level classical distance of 200km and I picked one that was local and comparatively flat.

I now have a few more questions for those wiser and more familiar with Audax events:

a) Essential hardware: when I did my last ride I was ‘fully supported’ and didn’t need to carry much with me. However, I will need to be self-sufficient. I’m thinking 2x inner tubes, 2x inflators, tyre levers, multi-tool, pump, 10x zip-ties, spare USN battery (for Garmin and Phone)

b) Essential software: I wasn’t going to take much beyond perhaps a light rain jacket, suncream, sunglasses, cash, credit card. I should get round in ~10hrs so I don’t think I need much else.

c) Fuel: I was going to carry fluids and food sufficient for 4hrs ride (1.5litres of fluid, three flapjacks and 3-4 gels) and work on the basis that I will eat / restock fluids at café’s and corner shops wherever possible. Given the ride is not at all remote, if this sensible or too much?

d) Other: Do I need to grow any facial hair in advance?

Have I missed anything?

Many thanks

Mike
ahh audax rides love em.

a. agree sounds right i also carry a cut down strip of old tyre in case of a slashed tyre and a spare quicklink. and i just use a pump if i get a flat which out of the city limits is really unusual. bike maintenance or the lack of it will be very pertinent out on a long distance ride. check and maintain your thoroughbred steed and she will reward you with a reliable ride. give her a wash b4 you go.
b. yes check out the weather forecast and ditch anything you can like the jacket. i am always guilty of carrying too much. some of my fellow audaxian riders who are up the pointy end run with just one tube on 1200klm rides and carry virtually nothing. this strategy is "too dangerous a risk" for many including me but over the years i have become lighter. remember it all gets carried from start to finish.
c. probably carrying too much food for a flat 200klm audax. the check points ususally come at 100klm mark then every 60klm or so. have a good breakfast. pick up a chocolate milk have a good solid lunch and another choccy milk at the last checkpoint.....and always always ride smart and within yourself 60% and you can go all day and get off the bike without wanting throw up your lunch. there is always someone younger faster on the day than yourself. i doubt that you wont be up the pointy end though on the v :_)
d. there is nothing wrong with carradice bags and facial hair. now one piece of advice i give you is to not hang around too long at checkpoints chatting. for a 200klm event based on 15 klm per hour it is relatively easy for a fit person but go to 300 400 600 1200 and as you know that changes quickly especially if there is 4-12 klm of vertical ascent.

yes you should always always go in thoroughly determined to enjoy the ride no matter . having a healthy mindset is key.

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Hi. I am not brevet veteran but I also have some brevets in my legs. 200 km brevet is from my point of view only little bit longer ride because you do not need to ride in night.
I usually ride "heavy" setup on my homebuild recumbent, but with Vendetta I will try to cut some weight.
My actual brevet setup is:
  • bike: homebuild SWB recumbent 20/26, mudguards, carier, homebuild lights (high/low front + rear) with battery and electronics inside of frame.
  • spares: 2 inner tuber (front/rear), patch kit, multitool with chain tool, pump, spare boot buckle, chain link, wet paper towel, tyre levers, gumi-cuk, spare o-rings for pulley
  • small first aid kit, magnesium, sugar tablets, some astma medicine
  • 3l of water and sport drink
  • solid foot for whole ride
  • spare clothes
  • for night: warm socks, gloves, overshoe, cap uder helmet
  • spare battery for light, small spare lights
  • plastic bags
  • iPhone in waterproof case, wallet
  • Suunto Ambit 3 watches for measurement and navigation
I am sure that I have forgotten something... I am experimenting with nutrition and hydration now, I have failed on 400 km brevet because of nutrition and hydration.

Mwhwsmith

So I did it ... a fantastic day out, great weather and wonderful scenery.

I was very pleased with my overall pace ... when riding, I was very much at the faster end of those participating, although I indulged myself with some long stops at the controls and more than my fair share of cake! Overall distance was 214kms and my time was 9hrs 50mins including 2hrs 20min of stops. The bike performed faultlessly throughout - more than could be said for my knees.

Unfortunately I was the only Cruzbike ... I guess I will need to wait longer before I see another!

Thank you for all your advice.

Mike

jond

Zen MBB Master
c

I was very pleased with my overall pace ... when riding, I was very much at the faster end of those participating, although I indulged myself with some long stops at the controls and more than my fair share of cake! Overall distance was 214kms and my time was 9hrs 50mins including 2hrs 20min of stops. The bike performed faultlessly throughout - more than could be said for my knees.

Unfortunately I was the only Cruzbike ... I guess I will need to wait longer before I see another!

Mike

well done and congratulations. now what is next. remember you can ride to 400klm in one day. overnight for a 600. they are great fun. try a 300 next. dont hang around in those stops :)

LMT

Mike

Ah yes, forgot about this. Had a slight muscle twinge in my right leg so did not want to risk it with PBP being only a week away so was a DNS. Glad you had a good time.

Mwhwsmith

Ah yes, forgot about this. Had a slight muscle twinge in my right leg so did not want to risk it with PBP being only a week away so was a DNS. Glad you had a good time.

I'm sorry to hear that .... I hope all goes well this weekend.

It's shame you weren't able to make it; there was one other recumbent (plus mine) at the event and there was a fair bit of interest in the V. It would have been great to have had two of them there. Oh well....

Have been flying the flag here too: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91295.50