New Cruzbike Accessories

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What are the dimensions and holding volume of the CF Race Case ?
http://cruzbike.com/carbon-fiber-case
$285 692 gm with top cover on.

Are the two M5 inserts for an external bottle cage?

What are the rear tail light mounting details?

Are there any photos of the interior?

M5 inserts yep for anything that uses a standard frame bottle mount.
More details in the Mallet thread as soon as the box arrives.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
The 'race case' looks sweet. Great that it will contain a bladder, which is my preference. I'm currently running a TerraCycle"Fastback" system. It works well enough but I think the 'race case' will be mo' bettah.

joy

The case looks really nice, but....Can someone explain how the case attaches to the head rest tubes? How does it not interfere with the "sock" holding the padding in place? Do you have to take the head rest out to install it? Room for tool, tubes, jacket etc. or do the bottle holders take up all the space? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but before I spend more (especially since I just bought a used Q I'll be spending money on) I need to know exactly how it will work. A picture of the inside might be nice too. Thanks, Joy

ratz

The case looks really nice, but....Can someone explain how the case attaches to the head rest tubes? How does it not interfere with the "sock" holding the padding in place? Do you have to take the head rest out to install it? Room for tool, tubes, jacket etc. or do the bottle holders take up all the space? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but before I spend more (especially since I just bought a used Q I'll be spending money on) I need to know exactly how it will work. A picture of the inside might be nice too. Thanks, Joy

Photo review coming soon; just waiting for the box to arrive.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The box is held on by a plate that holds it to the tubes. The new pad doesn't have to slip over the tubes. The old pads will need to be slightly modified but that should be too bad with a pair of scissors.

The install is very simple. Ill likely do a video if an install here soon if I ever catch up on stuff.

Robert

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Cage mount utility post--

Is the utility post supposed to mount in the center of the bottle cage mount between the two 'arms' that the cages attach to? If so, was it supposed to come with any mounting hardware? Or is it designed to mount slightly off center, to the outside of one of the 'arms', between that arm and the support for the bottle cage using the bolts that come with the bottle cage??

Might be a crazy question. But the post comes with unthreaded mounting tabs that are far too thin to be held securely between the arms of the cage mount kit. I made the (incorrect) assumption that the mounting tabs would be wide enough to fit snugly between the arms at the attachment points for the cage holders, and be threaded so as to be held very securely by the cage bolts coming in from each side.

I can mount it quite securely off center but an off center post seems out of place aesthetically. Just askin'.

ratz

Cage mount utility post--

Is the utility post supposed to mount in the center of the bottle cage mount between the two 'arms' that the cages attach to? If so, was it supposed to come with any mounting hardware? Or is it designed to mount slightly off center, to the outside of one of the 'arms', between that arm and the support for the bottle cage using the bolts that come with the bottle cage??

Might be a crazy question. But the post comes with unthreaded mounting tabs that are far too thin to be held securely between the arms of the cage mount kit. I made the (incorrect) assumption that the mounting tabs would be wide enough to fit snugly between the arms at the attachment points for the cage holders, and be threaded so as to be held very securely by the cage bolts coming in from each side.

I can mount it quite securely off center but an off center post seems out of place aesthetically. Just askin'.

That would mean you bottle cage mount screws are too short. I will try and get a picture up before tomorrow morning. It should be solid between the arms

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
A picture would be welcome. I remember the pics of the original design of the utility post; the mounting tabs were far different than those of the current design. Also, the cage mount screws that came w the cruzbike cages do appear too short.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Is the utility post supposed to mount in the center of the bottle cage mount between the two 'arms' that the cages attach to?
I've been wondering about this. I bought two of the new Cruzbike bottle cages to go with the bottle cage mount. There's so little of the cage mount screws protruding into the center space, that I couldn't imagine how one would mount that post.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0501.JPG
I snapped these on the way out the door to work this morning to show how thin the mounting tabs are. I didn't think to shoot the tabs from the side to show the slots in the tabs for mounting. They are just that: slots, with room to adjust the position, wider by far than the 3mm mounting bolts, and unthreaded. Even if the bolts were long enough to meet in the middle, the mounting slots don't allow for the bolts to tighten against the tabs in any way. It wouldn't fall out but it would just slide around. The original design had a mount that filled the space between the arms of the bottle cage mount.

IMG_2484.JPG
View attachment 4343 View attachment 4344
I snapped these on the way out the door to work this morning to show how thin the mounting tabs are. I didn't think to shoot the tabs from the side to show the slots in the tabs for mounting. They are just that: slots, with room to adjust the position, wider by far than the 3mm mounting bolts, and unthreaded. Even if the bolts were long enough to meet in the middle, the mounting slots don't allow for the bolts to tighten against the tabs in any way. It wouldn't fall out but it would just slide around. The original design had a mount that filled the space between the arms of the bottle cage mount.
The post goes between a cage and its mount.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
The post goes between a cage and its mount.

Yes, I mounted it that way since that's the only way it would be stable, but it is asymmetrical, and being off to one side or the other puts it closer to the cage/bottle than I'd like for what I want to mount on it.
The original design was far better imho, at least the design I recall. I will see if I can find a pic of the original on the forum. IIRC it was a more elegant solution. As it is now it is useable but suboptimal.

IMG_2486.JPG
Yes, I mounted it that way since that's the only way it would be stable, but it is asymmetrical, and being off to one side or the other puts it closer to the cage/bottle than I'd like for what I want to mount on it.
The original design was far better imho, at least the design I recall. I will see if I can find a pic of the original on the forum. IIRC it was a more elegant solution. As it is now it is useable but suboptimal.
Agreed, I previously used a pipe (cut from a handlebar) Zip-tied to the middle. This made it harder to make changes. The current set-up puts my Design Shine closer to the centerline, though. All will rendered moot for me when FedEx delivers the Carbon Fiber Race Case next week. :)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
This:IMG_0502.PNG

A lighter weight option would be using mounting tabs like on the current post but make them the width of the space between the arms, like the one pictured. That would center the post.

As before, the current one is usable but suboptimal, being off center.

Last edited:
Anyone want to buy a new father to be a tail box, clamp and head rest plus shipping to Australia :). So much want maybe I will be able to afford them one day. Maybe when the twins are 18;)