New Cruzbike Conversion

johnc0897

I received my Cruzbike Conversion Kit Saturday afternoon and did my first "ride" late Sunday afternoon. It took me a total of about 8 hours to convert a Specialized mountain bike frame. I had already prepped the frame by disassembling the bike while waiting for the kit, so when it came I was ready to go. I had to grind the fork a little to get the conversion drop out to fit flush and allow for the 135 mm spacing, but other than that, and lengthening the stock chain by 3 inches, no modifications were required. I did need to buy a new front derailleur with a larger diameter clamp. That, new high pressure skinny tires, a new seat post and new cables were all I needed. Then the fun began; trying to ride the thing. I compared it to the first time I tried to fly a hovering helicopter backwards (I'm a retired professional pilot.) But, just like flying, with a little practice it becomes intuitive. After weaving all over the road, nearly knocking down several mailboxes, and scaring the crap out of the neighborhood squirrel population, I finally got the hang of it. Today, I spent nearly three hours on the bike and really became quite comfortable. I still have a lot to learn but I love the bike. The bonus...no sore wrists, no sore back, no sore crotch. If I'd only known about these recumbent things 20 years ago I could have enjoyed riding even more.

chrisblessing

Welcome aboard John

Thanks for the update, and welcome to the world of both recumbents and moveable bottom bracket (mbb). Your experience sounds like mine; build n' go. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Chris

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Awesome image in my mind

john c,

I have a pretty interesting image of "running scared" squirrels.
Nice work - that's a fast learning curve!

Enjoy!

Romagjack

your new conversion

Great job, John. Will be great to see you out there and ride Skidaway Island with you.

JGDiRocco54

anyone have a conversion kit for sale??

<font face="Thread-00001148-Id-0000009d">does anyone have a conversion kit for sale??

Rick Barber

Also looking for a conversion kit.

Like Mr. Rocco - I'm looking to buy a conversion kit. I've been waiting years now to be able to afford to build the bike of my dreams with this kit, have a suitable bike frame, wheels, gears and everything, and can finally afford what i thought the price would, only to log in today and find out that the whole thing has dropped out of production. No way I'll ever be able to afford any of their now 'standard' line of bikes, so finding a kit second hand looks like my only option! Totally bummed out about this one....... ;-(

buyagain

My wife and I ride as a pair. Her breaking her leg at work and at age 71 and 70 we realistically will not ride in the future. If you live in the Memphis Tennessee area, I have the completed conversion bike if someone want's it. One hitch is that it comes complete with the rock solid Robin 4cyl engine from Golden Eagle Bike engines. Make me a realistic offer. Coolest bike in the neighborhood! We never even got the engines broken in.

upload_2015-12-17_22-58-30.png

Last edited: