New/Old Q559 rider

Rocky1405

Hi Everybody! I have ridden bikes since I was 5 years old and that means I have been riding for over 68 years! Beats me where the time went but it sure did fly by - especially when I was on my bikes over those years. I tried jogging and did it for 6 years before realizing I was never going to get better at it so I quit that before my knees gave out. Then for exercise I walked a lot but always was bored but never have been bored when riding bikes so I went back to cranking away for my main exercise. Over the years I have tried all kinds of bikes and back in 2004 bought a "Comfort" or "Hi-Bred: Raleigh Passage 4.0 - I managed to ride that for about 15,000 miles - wore out the wheels and the running gear and had it rebuilt twice. Ended up spending more money on just the replacement wheels than on the initial purchase price of the bike. I loved that bike until the close of last riding season in November here in MN when I realized that no matter which seat I put on it my old body was only gonna be able to sit on it for 90 minutes before my posterior gave up and it just plain hurt too much to keep riding longer than that. Our bodies change as we age and my rear end "cushion" is getting depleted - it seems to have wanted to move up and bulge over my belt! I didn't want to quit riding and I want to ride farther and longer so I started to look into recumbent bikes - I rode a BikeE for 4 years back in 1999 until the end of the season of 2003 - wore out the shifter on that at least once before selling it so I did have some recumbent experience before deciding to buy a Q559 last fall. The BikeE was just too slow or I would have kept it because the riding position was pretty comfortable. I liked the specs on the "Q" and appreciated all the info on YouTube about it so I bought it and managed to assemble it to get it ready for the 2016 riding season. Without going into details I want to say the instructions could be more detailed - especially with better photos of the critical assembly points with the Click-Box and shifter cable routing but after a bit more futzing around in my shop than I would have liked to have had to do when putting the "Q" together I got it assembled and out on the road. My first attempts at riding it were not pretty - for me at age 73 - learning to ride it has been harder than I imagined it to be - so far I have confined myself to a nearby pretty much straight bike trail so I don't embarrass myself too much in front of anybody as I wobble around - but, since the weather here in MN has gotten ride-able as long as I am bundled up with warm clothing, I have managed to crank on 173 miles on my bike so far and on one of those rides was in the saddle for a little over 3 hours to the tune of 31 miles. After that ride I realized that while I was working hard to develop "Recumbent Legs" and not to end up in the weeds whenever I turned my head, NOTHING ON MY BODY hurt - the seat and riding position is that comfortable on this bike. I had one day where time and weather made it so I had to ride my Raleigh instead and at the end of only 13 miles my posterior was hurting. So, the bottom line is: Would I buy a "Q" again? The answer is Y-E-S, but expect the learning curve to be pretty steep at first. Robert at CruzBike has been wonderful in answering my questions about accessories - I upgraded the tires to 1.5 width because I carry a "kit" on my luggage rack - and I'm not so interested in speed as I am utility. Before I hit the street with my bike tho I am awaiting the delivery of a bigger rear view mirror - the one I bought from CruzBike just isn't big enough for me. There, now you know what my experience has been like as a new/old rider - this is a high quality bike - it has really great components and fit and finish and I am looking forward to putting many fun miles on it. If you are thinking of quitting riding because your "SEAT" hurts buy a "Q" before you quit this wonderful sport. The investment in keeping your health is worth every penny! Now you know what I know! :cool:
Best Regards and Happy Trails!
Ron from Hastings, MN

1happyreader

zen/child method
Ron,, 1+ on the comfort comment.

It's not often we get to experience being a child with a new toy.
Give yourself a treat, go play like a child in an empty paved lot , swoop and turn and almost stop without the pressure of staying between the lines.
Learning anything new by yourself without hints and helps can lengthen the process.
See if you can pick up a tip or an ah-ha moment from the forums. http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/spring-time-learning-to-ride-time.10889/
keep your chin up and smile !!!!

skipB

Newer Q owner here . I have had mine about a week or so . I am glad it isn't just me . I have found the learning curve to be pretty steep as well. But I am sure I bought the right bike . Thanks for the story

DavidJL

I have a QX100 and used two bar ends to mount a Mirrycle mirror above the left grip. I can lay the bike down on the ground without messing up the mirror. Have found it's no harder to ride a straight line with a Q than with a DF bike, but I am not quite ready for hands-free, and for high-speed descents. Did have to tighten up the spokes on the wheels recently as I was getting a noise. Learning to take off and turn at the same time was a bit of a challenge. Enjoy your Q, it's a great bike even if you're not flying down the road.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have found the learning curve to be pretty steep as well. But I am sure I bought the right bike . Thanks for the story

If you get bored hit some of the video in my signature; especially Summer Cruz and The Ride of the Vroom. You will see various members of my family from age 16 to 67 learning to ride; doing laps in the parking lot practices. Summer Cruz is like day four of them diligently doing their laps; while ride of the vroom was his very first ride. It's so important to just embrace the learning; laugh at yourself, and remember you didn't just jump on your first bike and do 20 mph down the road. I teach the kids in the neighbor hood to ride gliders (training wheels be damed foolish things). The kids have the good sense to spend most of their time learning everything a slow speeds. IF you excel at the slow the fast is easy. Skip the slow and your fast riding will be quick to be a problem.

You can't have your speed if you don't eat your figure eights :cool:

I do so love the start of the season and all the new riders.:D

Rocky1405

Thanks for the responses and suggestions
. I took the advice and did 2 miles of figure 8's and hill climbing last night. It's amazing how much more comfortable I got on the bike now That I learned the trick about dropping the outside shoulder on turns! I even know was able to loosen my "Death Grip" on the handlebars! Now if the weather will cooperate I can get in my daily fun rides. Thanks again for the help!

Rocky1405

Even since the first ride on my Q the rear brake has made a lot of noise both when stopping and when just coasting. I finally took a really good look at it and found the rotor disc has very little "run-out" except for one small spot which appears to have a slightly raised spot on it sorta like a little "Kink". I have looked to U-Tube and tried adjustments of the pucks and also tried to get that sharp little raised area of the disc out of it but can't get it corrected. I'd hate to take it off the bike and try to pound it out on a surface plate for fear of causing problems in other areas of the disc. The front brake is very quiet and does not have any such noises or run-out areas. I am wondering if anybody else with a Q has had a similar experience with their rear brake. I did email CruzBike and ask about it and am waiting for their response. I now have 200 miles on the bike in spite of the cold MN spring weather and other than that annoying rear brake problem am really enjoying riding it.

ratz

Even since the first ride on my Q the rear brake has made a lot of noise both when stopping and when just coasting. I finally took a really good look at it and found the rotor disc has very little "run-out" except for one small spot which appears to have a slightly raised spot on it sorta like a little "Kink". I have looked to U-Tube and tried adjustments of the pucks and also tried to get that sharp little raised area of the disc out of it but can't get it corrected. I'd hate to take it off the bike and try to pound it out on a surface plate for fear of causing problems in other areas of the disc. The front brake is very quiet and does not have any such noises or run-out areas. I am wondering if anybody else with a Q has had a similar experience with their rear brake. I did email CruzBike and ask about it and am waiting for their response. I now have 200 miles on the bike in spite of the cold MN spring weather and other than that annoying rear brake problem am really enjoying riding it.

Not sure what part of MN you are in but if you are near me (southwest metro) we could pick a day and you could haul it down here and we can try and get you fixed up. AND go for a ride. Plenty of Q's in my garage.

Rocky1405

Bob: Thank you for the kind offer to help me get my rear brake problems fixed. After yesterday's 22 mile ride I bit the bullet and took off the rear wheel, removed the disc and got it straightened out so it runs true and no longer has a high spot on it. I used to be a machinist and have a surface plate so I was able to really nail down where the problems were. I don't know how much of the disc life I shortened by removing that little high spot - only time and miles will tell. Thanks again for the kind offer - I really appreciate it!
Best Regards,
Ron

Rocky1405

Today I received a package from Robert at Cruzbike - it contained a new brake rotor and shift cable as per my request. I now have a smooth running rear wheel with no rubbing sounds or drag coming from it. I got wonderful and prompt service and you can't get better than that on any product. Thanks a million, Robert!

Rocky1405

Hi again everybody! I now have 300 miles on my "Q559" and have several hills on my favorite trail that I simply cannot make it to the top on this bike. I shift well ahead and get down into the lowest gear and keep the rpm's up as long as I can but soon the "pedal-steer" gets too difficult to overcome and I have to put my feet down, tuck my tail between my legs and WALK - (rats, mice, shucky-darn, complain, etc, etc) - up the rest of the hill. I am wondering if anyone has the answer as to if they have changed the gearing on their Q559 and if so what was it changed to and what were the results. The more I ride it the more I like it and am glad I bought it but I'd sure like to be able to stay seated and crank my way to the top of the hills instead of walking it up there.
Best Regards,
Ron

ratz

The gear on the Q559 can be a bit tall with a little fiddling with the b-screw you can fit an 11-34T cassette to the stock stuff and get gearing much more compatible with hills. The net change give you similar gear inches to what was found on the Q451.

Without that change the gearing just didn't work on the MN river hills for anyone that had ridden our Q559.

Rocky1405

Thanks for the reply Ratz. I would like to hire the work done to change the gearing - is the 11-34T cassette change something the mechanics at Eric's would do? I don't wanna mess with that myself.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I made that change to the 11-34 PG950 SRAM 9 speed cassette on my Q559, and it is great! Any LBS should be able to make this change and adjustments for you.

ratz

Thanks for the reply Ratz. I would like to hire the work done to change the gearing - is the 11-34T cassette change something the mechanics at Eric's would do? I don't wanna mess with that myself.

Yep ERIK's will do it. they might look at the dual drive a little strange or tell you the clearance is awful tight. If they bualk you can take it to calhouns on Hennepin or worst case I could run over with the tool. It is about a 10 minute swaps out and onky needs 1 special tool.

Rocky1405

Yesterday I took the bike to Eric's and Aiden , or Hayden, changed the gearing for me - I wont be able to ride it intil Sunday and hope the new set up will help me do hills better. I couldnt have been treated better at Eric's - they had the part, got me in right away and finished the work promptly. Rider report to follow after Sunday's ride. Have a great weekend everybody!

Rocky1405

Rider report with the new gearing (11-34) ---- the gear change works really well on the hill that was giving me trouble. Today I got out and rode that hill and was able to crank all the way to the top and still have one gear left and so I am very glad I made the change. The stock gearing just was not working out on the hills on the trails near Hastings, MN. Thanks to ratz and emiljay for your advice!!

Rocky1405

Another rider report from last week - up until this ride I had always ridden by myself on my Q so I wondered what my speed and performance was like compared to a pal of mine who I have ridden with off and on for years on our hi-bred comfort bikes. He is a bit taller and is 18 years younger than me but on the hi-bred bikes we are very evenly matched for cruising speeds both on level ground and on most hills in our area. We rode a 21 mile ride together and I was pleased to find our speeds are still matched and we can still easily visit when I ride the Q. On really steep hills he gets ahead of me but on the return he can't keep up with me so all in all like so much in life its a trade off. At the end of the 21 miles he complained his seat hurt and mine didn't. Now that I have a little over 380 miles on my Q I find I am comfortable on it for the duration of the ride and I look forward to riding it and at this point do not see myself going back to riding my hi-bred Raleigh Passage 4.0 ever. I thought I would share my experience with the Q559 so anybody considering one could see how my journey switching over to it from a so called "comfort" bike went. I am glad I made the purchase and was able to get to this comfort level in riding it. So far, after that initial steep learning curve during the first 100 miles its put the fun back into bike riding for me.
Now you know what I know. :cool:
Best Regards,
Ron

DavidJL

Just today I realized that there are mounts for water bottles on the back of the seat, so the Q can take up to four water bottles. The Q bikes are really well thought out. Just went Nuvinci today. Haven't yet tried it on hills. What's been killing me on the big hills is my conditioning...