New/Old Q559 rider

Rocky1405

Now that I have over 600 miles on my "Q" I am very comfortable riding it except in very sharp and slow turns. I get around them but the pucker factor is still there! :cool: Its getting better tho - the more I ride it the better I get. Duh! :cool: The more I ride it the more I like it and pretty much have resigned myself to riding only the "Q" and not my Raleigh. I am pleased that I can put in a 40 mile ride and not have anything hurt - I wish I had gotten this bike a long time ago instead of riding the upright bike until my body would no longer allow me to sit on any seat I put on it for longer than 90 minutes. When I purchased this bike I also bought the vented seat and was wondering if it would be comfortable as the standard Q seat. It turns out it is very comfortable and on today's ride - 06-10-16 - with high heat and humidity I am very glad I made that extra investment because it worked great in keeping me as cool as possible.
Best Regards!
Ron

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
heh rocky,
have you tried the smowmobile lean for those conditions ?
(sit up and the bike leans into turn while you lean the other way relative to the bike frame )
Lets me keep pedaling.
later,,,, bye

Yeah, that's how you do it.
The CHP motor officers do this and so do the Shriners.
So do I.

Rocky1405

The other day as I completed my ride I started hearing a "shuffling" noise coming from the front wheel of my bike. I'd never heard that before and now have 700 miles on it. Upon checking I found the plastic disc located between the largest sprocket on the cassette had broken two of the little ears that hold it in place and the whole disc was shuffling back and forth with each wheel revolution. The disc was also cracked one half so it was just loose and falling apart. When I got home I broke it the rest of the way to get it out of there so it didn't jam up on future rides. My impression is that it is there to keep the chain out of the spokes if you ever "Over-shift" and end up with the chain jumping off towards the spokes. That has never been a problem so far on this bike. Have any of you guys had this happen and is this plastic disc something that is necessary so I should get it replaced? Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The other day as I completed my ride I started hearing a "shuffling" noise coming from the front wheel of my bike. I'd never heard that before and now have 700 miles on it. Upon checking I found the plastic disc located between the largest sprocket on the cassette had broken two of the little ears that hold it in place and the whole disc was shuffling back and forth with each wheel revolution. The disc was also cracked one half so it was just loose and falling apart. When I got home I broke it the rest of the way to get it out of there so it didn't jam up on future rides. My impression is that it is there to keep the chain out of the spokes if you ever "Over-shift" and end up with the chain jumping off towards the spokes. That has never been a problem so far on this bike. Have any of you guys had this happen and is this plastic disc something that is necessary so I should get it replaced? Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

First thing I do on at wheel that has those is remove it and put in the garbage. The second thing I do is make sure the lower limit and b-screws are set to prevent shifting into the spokes.

The only reason for that plate is to protect people that don't know how to maintain a derailluer. Much better to spend the time learning that; than the time to replace the plate.

FWIW I learned this the way you just did when mine broke on a bike years back :)

Rocky1405

That was what I thought too. Mine is shifting fine so I am not worried about over-shifting and jumping the largest sprocket. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!