New S 40 build

joy

Got the new bike on the road. Sram Rival 50/34, 11/36 cassette. Rival brifters, TRP brakes, Force 22 front derailleur, GX rear, Velocity Aileron wheels with Clement Explor Ush 35 mm tires, Woodchipper bars. Ran well yesterday on a paved, wet rail trail. Today, I took it up the street to an up hill, hard packed gravel road, with some loose stuff. Got to one short (50 yards or so), steep section and I could not get up it. Tried 5 different gears and kept stopping at the same spot due to wheel slip. It's probably the engine, so I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I tried sitting up and pushing on the seat, but nothing worked. Finally just walked it. I like it alot and I think it will be good for the non paved trails around me. (But Robert, nothing can replace my Vendetta!)
IMG_0964.JPG

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Beautiful bike! I personally don't think it's possible to ride any front wheel drive MBB bike up a steep 10+% gravel road with a loose surface unless there was sufficiently high momentum while approaching it.

Lowering the tire pressure and maintaining a smooth pedalling cadence may help, but when it really gets steep you may still have to walk the bike up the gravel.

I also don't think a recumbent, especially FWD, is a suitable for riding hilly gravel off-road routes. The physics just works against the FWD MBB in those scenarios. I'am a realist. For that I would get an upright cyclocross bike or a mountain bike.

Otherwise, on a light note, if you don't like the bike you can donate it to me ;) hahaha!

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
What's the widest tire you can put on? I just bought some 33mm challenge tires that have tread on the sides. I bought them as I need to make my hybrid bike a bit more comfortable. That might help.
challengeChicane.jpg

telephd

Guru
snip I also don't think a recumbent, especially FWD, is a suitable for riding hilly gravel off-road routes. The physics just works against the FWD MBB in those scenarios. I'am a realist. For that I would get an upright cyclocross bike or a mountain bike.

ak-tux Im a sample size of one here and not sure what you are thinking about when you say "hilly off-road routes." We have a V3 Softrider that I have equipped with both 1.5 and 1.95 tires and successfully and enjoyably ridden 100's of miles on Rails-to-Trails routes, fire trails, mountain dirt roads and single track. Although there are limitations I have a ton-o-fun with the Softrider in those conditions. Occasionally I have to get off and walk when I wouldn't have had to with my mountain bike but that's a no-nevermind for me.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
ak-tux Im a sample size of one here and not sure what you are thinking about when you say "hilly off-road routes." We have a V3 Softrider that I have equipped with both 1.5 and 1.95 tires and successfully and enjoyably ridden 100's of miles on Rails-to-Trails routes, fire trails, mountain dirt roads and single track. Although there are limitations I have a ton-o-fun with the Softrider in those conditions. Occasionally I have to get off and walk when I wouldn't have had to with my mountain bike but that's a no-nevermind for me.
I have also ridden gravel roads and Jeep tracks on my DIY cruzbike copy. It is great fun. I just meant that it cannot handle exceedingly steep bumpy grades on gravel like a mountain bike or a cyclocross bike would because of loss of traction. It's worse without suspension. Fortunately, steep sections are only an exception. The majority of the grades are rideable.

It's good to let those new to cruzbike know that there are some limitations and not to expect it to completely replace every kind of bicycle, even a mountain bike. As the skill level advances one learns how to manage the challenges.

One thing is for sure though, there is no limit to the fun!

Last edited:

dtseng

S40 is nothing but a fancy model of T50 . I think S30 is a much more graceful bike. Unfortunately, S30 frame set is no longer available. I have no choice but to take this T50 version of Silvio.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
S40 is nothing but a fancy model of T50 . I think S30 is a much more graceful bike. Unfortunately, S30 frame set is no longer available. I have no choice but to take this T50 version of Silvio.
The irony of this statement was the opposite for me. I backed the T50 KS campaign and then heard the news about the new S40. I thought to myself. I should just have got the S40.

However... I will probably end up buying both. The idea is to rent out the bikes and give lessons in them. So the T50 comes into it's own. It's easy configurable. Once the S40 has been set up you don't want to keep changing the configuration. Who knows, the T50 might be so popular with clients that I might buy more.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
The silvioS40 frame has welded seat stays and a superior boom and front triangle assembly. It should be laterally stiffer, lighter and more rigid than a T50 which has alot more joints and skewers.

The last iteration of the S30 was a beauty! A rigid front, 33 deg seat and a titanium leaf suspended rear! Unfortunately that suspension added to the cost (and weight).

Due to the low the volume of production, the S30 and now S40 will always be way too expensive compared to a DF road bike of similar quality. T50 was funded differently allowing better pricing.

I don't work for cruzbike but I can clearly see that the S40 is a significantly Superior bicycle.

Last edited:

S40 is a more upright V20. It is really nothing like the T50. The S40 has the same front triangle as the V20 with improvements for how the chainstay attaches to the boom, and you can be sure that improvement will make its way to the V20. The S40 also allows for wider tires and has plenty of clearance for disc rotors, I would expect those improvements to make their way to future version of the Vendetta also. The S40 has the same hydroformed frame as the V20, it is just attached at a different angle. The Silvio line used to be different than the Vendetta line in that it had added weight for suspension, but that is now gone, making this even more like the V20. What can be used for suspension is wider tires running at lower pressure and a Ventisit comfort pad.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
The silvioS40 frame has welded seat stays and a superior boom and front triangle assembly. It should be laterally stiffer, lighter and more rigid than a T50 which has alot more joints and skewers.

The last iteration of the S30 was a beauty! A rigid front, 33 deg seat and a titanium leaf suspended rear! Unfortunately that suspension added to the cost (and weight).

Due to the low the volume of production, the S30 and now S40 will always be way too expensive compared to a DF road bike of similar quality. T50 was funded differently allowing better pricing.

I don't work for cruzbike but I can clearly see that the S40 is a significantly Superior bicycle.

Superior? I'm very careful with that phrase.
More bang for the buck? Sure.

On the other hand, I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that my 27deg Silvio is faster around where I am.
It is all about the tradeoffs-- the S40 looks to be a better offering for the money.

dtseng

Is the "lower" derailleur hanger included in the S40 frame set? I don't see it in the picture. Why it is not welded on the chain stay (or on the right side of the front forks)?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Is the "lower" derailleur hanger included in the S40 frame set? I don't see it in the picture. Why it is not welded on the chain stay (or on the right side of the front forks)?
The hanger is a sacrificial part; it needs to break off in a crash to prevent the leverage of the derailleur from cracking a frame. This is normal and customary on all high-end bikes. If it was welded on to the frame that would defeat the purpose of the hanger.. Two hangers are historically included with the bikes, on the S30,S40,V20 series it's a press-fit part that can be removed with simple hand strength.

dtseng

Thank you ratz. My modern Italian steel framed road bike has permanent rear hanger. All my other 7 low-end bikes have replaceable aluminum hangers. In a crash, these aluminum hangers will bend, not break off.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My modern Italian steel framed road bike has permanent rear hanger.
Color me green with envy...

If you crash like larry they break; but your are correct they bend; and usually really easy , I replaced one last month in fact that was bent and we had one on RAAM that go bent too.

Kencumbent

Hi Joy,

going back to your original question, could you run your 35mm tyres at lower pressure, and possibly tubeless, to improve your traction off-road without increasing your puncture risk?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi Joy,

In comparison did you ever try any of the Silvio / Quest / QX100 on the same hill? Are you able to compare steep slope traction between them? How did you have them set up?

A weird thing but I am curious if you put weight in the panniers if that would have an effect. I seem to have better traction on the front with weight hanging on the back of my seat - strange as that seems. The only thing I can think of is that this might smooth out my cadence, maintain momentum, or possibly shift a small amount of weight further forward.

Last edited:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
If you have a hill with a gravel or other 'off-road' surface to practice on, do yourself a favour and practice pedaling up that hill.
Your pedaling, cadence and power delivery will benefit as your technique improves.

FWD will alway slip way before RWD will up hills -especially slippery hills.