New Silvio build

mickjordan

Cycclops trainer alert

Beware of the Cyclops trainer. My Silvio fell out of it on the first ride and I concluded that, given that you cannot get a properly sized trainer skewer for the Silvio, it is not safe as the clamp hole just doesn't accept the skewer in a safe way. I swiched to my Kinetic (yes, I had two trainers!), which has a much better and safer attachment scheme.

mikethebike

I forgot to mention

Eric Winn: The fender tab is glued to the extension using silicone compound exactly for the reason you state.
The Rapto isn't mine but belongs to my brother in law, we share a two family house. It's too small for me to ride. The Velokraft VK2 however belongs to me and has been my primary ride for the last five years. A wonderful bike thet I have really enjoyed. But then suddenly you get the itch to try something new
wink_smile.gif
. Also, at the age of 67, I was beginning to have issues with my feet going numb so I wanted a bike where the feet were lower positioned. And thirdly, I wanted to sit higher to get a better overwiew of traffic and to fit in better with DF riders.

About the trainer, I have so far only been using it as a convenient stand whilst tinkering. But I must admit that i wasn't aware that the rotation direction mattered. Can anybody explain why?

georgec

Nice Fenders!

Nice to see an installation of functional fenders on the Silvio. Great job!

It looks like you cut gaps in the fenders for the forks. Is that correct?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
About the trainer, I have so

About the trainer, I have so far only been using it as a convenient stand whilst tinkering. But I must admit that i wasn't aware that the rotation direction mattered. Can anybody explain why?

Almost. :)

The trainer cylinder (what the wheel rests on) will spin the opposite direction that it was intended. It's possible that this is bad for some trainers.

Also, the frictional force between the wheel and the cylinder will now point in opposite directions. This might mess things up too.

As far as I can tell, it is no worse than putting a fixie on a trainer and pedalling backwards.

Cheers,
Charles

mikethebike

Fenders

Yes Georgec, you are correct. I've had to cut the fenders since they won't fit between the tyre and fork crown.
Mickjordan: On my trainer there is a slot in the holder (the "fixed" one, not the one with the clamping mechaninsm) that will take the skewer lever. So I'll have to reverse the skewer so that the skewer handle is on the non-drive side. No risk at all of the bike falling off.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Well, I had a trainer with a

Well, I had a trainer with a fan. I rode it backwards, so the air pressure was pulling the blades outwards, instead of pushing them against one another, then one day it .... exploded on me! ha ha Had bits of fan blades all over the place.