New Silvio build.

atretes1

Ok so I have a new Silvio on order. I am coming to realize that I am going to have to order more stuff for it than I realized. This is what I have so far.

1×Silvio 2.0 Frameset
1×CB 700c Aero 67 wheels
2×Zefal Spy mirror (USA only)
1×Silvio Chainstay Extension
1×2 Bottle Cages lightweight black (USA only)

I am still deciding on which tires I want on of course tubes will be added. The rest of the stuff needed I am leery on.

Thanks,

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Go with nothing less than a

Go with nothing less than a 10 speed setup, folks have also got the new 11 speed stuff to work as well.

1. Cassette - cluster depends on what you ride hills, flats, etc 11-36 for hills (I prefer Shimano) or 11-28 flats
2. Rear derailleur - depends on what you ride hills, flats, etc. Short, med, long cage. This is specific to the shifters brand. Sram or Shimano
3. Front deraileur - 2 speed or 3 - sometimes this is brand specific, but to play it safe stay with same brand as shifters.
4. Crankset - depends on what you ride hills, flats, etc. However a compact double should be. 50x34 should get you up hills with 11-36 casssette. If you want 3 speed, you are stuck with Shimano, but go with the granny that is 94 BCD to clear the bb clamps.
5. Road brake set - unless you are stuck on disc. Sram Apex and up work great with the Silvio.
6. 2 chains. However if you go with a small cluster cassette like 11-28, one chain will work.
7. Outer cable, shift and brake. I usually buy this in big rolls from Universal Cycles on line. Your other option is your local bike shop, they can cut you off in lengths you need.
8. The frame will come with bar tape and handlebars, and end plugs.

The list above is the basics.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I see you ordered the

I see you ordered the chainstay extension, in that case get 2 chains. It always good to have extra chain handy anyway.

atretes1

Thanks, I thought the FAQs

Thanks, I thought the FAQs said the Silvio is not set up for disc brakes has that changed? I will not be doing the build but will stop by my local bike shop with this list to help me some more. I will be mainly in the flats with some hills.

I do not know if I want to use the chain stay. I bought it just in case. I am 6 foot so from my reading that seems to be borderline of wanting one or not.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
You can go with disc brakes,

You can go with disc brakes, but I see that you ordered the Cruzbike wheels which or not disc hub. the main problem with disc brake setup is sqeezing a 135mm disc hub into an area meant for 130mm, but folks have done it.

If you are mainly flats with some hills, a double compact crankset with 34-50 chainrings. In this case I would outfit it with Sram doubletap Apex or above. The Sram Rival is a good compromise. Go with a Sram X9 type 2 long cage rear deraileur. And should you go with Rival, then you could stick with the Rival Groupset, excluding the rear derailleur (however, the Rival med cage will work too).

Jeremy S

Dude
Just FYI, I've been pretty

Just FYI, I've been pretty happy with my all-SRAM-Rival setup. I just wish I had gone with shorter cranks (165mm or 170mm instead of the 172.5mm I got) and I might benefit from some chainstay extension given my leg length (~45 inch x-seam).

- 50x34 compact chainrings
- 11-32 10-speed cassette with WiFli rear derailleur
- Rim brakes
- No chainstay extension

For this setup I needed exactly one SRAM chain, no links added/removed.

Cruzbike used to order component kit bundles with their bikes, it made it easy for someone like me with no experience ordering bike components. Unfortunately they stopped doing that.

Bottle cage mounting may be an issue. On my bike (from the first production run) there was nowhere to mount a bottle cage. I drilled holes in the seatback to mount there, and discovered that the bottle cage was too horizontal and dropped my bottle during a ride (I never found the bottle, fortunately it was cheap). On a recommendation from this forum I bought a Lezyne Flow bottle cage (have two behind the seat now) and that has been working great.

davengel

Silvio Componentry Suggestions for a heavyset hill rider

Subject line says it. About to buy a Silvio 2.0. Trying to decide on how to kit it out.

Some of the feedback in this thread suggests that you all know what I need to know. Here is a little bit about me and how I intend to ride.

Height 6'2" (1.88m) Weight 225 lbs (102 kg). Intended use: multi-day, hundred+ mile-per-day supported and credit card solo tours involving lots of climbing, some of it very steep (12+ degree slopes). Some riding on gravel trails (The Delaware and Raritan Canal trail, for those of you who know it, is about as rough a road as I'll ride: hard packed pea gravel and the occasional cobblestone patch).

Cost is a factor, but not a huge factor. I'm ready to spend some money for quality. But I'm not such an aficionado that I can tell the difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra, so I'll go Ultegra (or even 105) unless users dissuade me. SRAM would also be fine, but I know less about their stuff, and I have been using Shimano for decades.

Here is my thinking so far, in descending order from what I think I know to what I definitely need expert advice to choose.

Disc brakes, mechanical. Haven't decided on brand or rotor size yet. Open to suggestions.
Handlebars: Dying for advice. What I have read on the forum so far leaves me less, rather than more, illuminated.
Shifting: mechanical, not electronic. I *think* I want brifters, but maybe my handlebar selection should dictate choice of shifters and brakes? Help.
Bottom bracket: I have no idea what to buy. Again: help?
Cranks: double or triple? (I'm expecting double, but I have long ridden a triple, so I'm not dogmatic.) Compact? Semi-compact? I currently have a low ratio of 1.21 on my diamond frame, and I frequently drop all the way down to it. On a recumbent, even a climber like the Silvio, I think I'm going to want to go even lower. I'll sacrifice smooth transitions along the cassette for a very low bottom climbing ratio.
Cassette: clueless.
Derailleurs: also clueless.
Hubs: clueless.
Rims and spokes: clueless.

For BB, Hubs, and Rims: bear in mind my weight and the rough roads I sometimes ride. Strong enough not to fail is more important, when I'm 100 miles from a bike shop, than an anorexically skinny ride. I do want skinny, but not *too* skinny.

If you were my guide as we walked down the bicycle hardware superstore aisles, knowing now what you know about the Silvio I dream of riding, what would you be tossing into my cart ?

Thanking you all in advance,

David

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Handlebar

I have the Origin 8 Gary handlebar, which came with my Silvio. It offers plenty of hand positions and is more than wide enough to prevent interference between my awesomely-powerful quads and the bar itself.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Go with the complete package

David,

Given what you know and what you want to do; Start with this as your baseline: http://cruzbike.com/silvio-s30-complete That baseline configuration is very good and tweak-able at the component level for things like a wider cassette for the hills etc.

I'm pretty sure from what I have gleaned that Robert from Rose City is doing these complete builds. Get ahold of him and let him know your special requirements and he can probably suggest simple deviations from the standard build that will suit your needs. This will save you time and effort on the "clueless" items. I've saw the Vendetta Robert put together for a local (to me) rider and it was a fine piece of work. If you don't want to become expert at all these nuances that's a great way to go.

On the other hand we can let her rip and recommend you a nice solid $6.5k build.... Example: my favorite BB is http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id332.html which is bomb proof wet or dry but it's stupid expensive. Got one on the Vendetta but not something I'd put on my Silvio. The Gary bar that Andrew mentioned is great; have one on the Vendetta; impossible to find these days large diameter clamps, except with dumb luck on ebay; but the Midge is basically the same bar and can be gotten here: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMI/on-one-midge-handlebar; for the Silvio I prefer our custom Bulhorn Brifters that my wife and Mark have setup. There's a reason for everything.... how much time you have before you order plays a roll. We can waste all for that here for you no problem. :)

davengel

The complete package: handlebars and disc brake wheels

I'm embarrassed to say, especially given how many hours I have spent lurking on these boards, that I did not RTFM and see that complete build page. Thanks for the link. I'd love to cover up my negligence, but it's probably better just to cop to my stupidity and move on. Reading that page would have saved me--and you--some trouble.

I like the idea of a bomb-proof bottom bracket. I'll spend the money for it. I'm hoping to do 800 miles in the spring on a credit card, unsupported, on unknown roads with expectation of few bike shops. Bomb-proof and light = ounce of prevention.

The high and low end gearing ratios on the complete build crank and cassette look about right for my needs, and I'm sure I can make the adjustment to Sram brifters.

As for 'clueless', that was a mild exaggeration. I probably know just enough to hurt myself.

My holdout questions now are down to two: handlebars (still) and wheel build. Ratz, would you mind going into the pros and cons of the Midge vs. your custom bars vs. the stock bars?

And if there are any disc-brake-riding Clydesdales out there (including Quest tourers), I'd love to hear what you think of your wheel builds. Regrets? Delights? Wishes?

ratz

Disc

Well just had the brake conversation so your timing is good, cut and past to the rescue.

I never under stand disc brakes as a need unless you ride in the rain all the time or massive mountains. I have bb5 disc brakes on the quests and they are a pain in the butt and I know what I'm doing. For any one that doesn't know how to adjust them tears are likely. I know how and can teach someone in about 5 minutes how to set them; but it amazes me there are very few good video tutorials on them. The people in our neighborhood frequently bring me there disc brake bikes to fix; it's a nice source of pizza money since most refuse to let me do it for free, so I've give up arguing with them.

But if you understand them and use BB7 or something of that class they are nice.

1) Positive: Carbon rim much less scary with disc brakes
2) Negative: Your spokes provide all the braking force from the the brake to the road; your wheel better be really well made
3) Positive: Good in the rain;
4) Negative: Ugly
5) Positive: Don't over heat if you spec them correctly; great in hill country
6) Negative: Heavy
7) Positive: Great stopping power
8 ) Negative: If they rub you won't know it but they will rob power
9) Positive: Work well with Hydralic
10) Negative: Expensive parts
11) Positive: Cleaner
12) Negative: Mount wheel is harder.

Now that they are UCI legal we may see more improvements.

Any how I have never had a problem stopping with my RIM brakes but like many long time riders I've got the experience to ride them correctly and use the right brake lever at the right time for the situation; and I know how to drag a wet brake ahead of time to dry it. I use my rear brake far more on a cruzibike than any other traditional bike; the rear is great for scrubbing speed and since the bikes are so darn fast you need to scrub more often.

But I think Discs will attract the new rider; and then they will complain that they can't adjust them correctly.

ratz

Bars & Wheels

I like the Midge and Gary's on the Vendetta because of the boom position they are low enough to give me good Aero and do not mess with my broken and battered shoulder. You have to cut about 4-6 inch off the ends and then they are perfect. Kudos to Jim Parker for convincing me to try them they are staying.

For the Silvo the Handlebars are much higher because of my boom angle (I'm two barrel chested and short to ride with an extension); I could not get the hand position low enough so that I could be comfortable using drops; and the stock bars where too wide for my taste. We tried a ton of option, you can see that over in the handlebar thread. In the end the Deda's with the big drop worked great on the Silvos. I had bar end shifters and custom brakes on mine all summer; and the wife ran the bullhorn brifters. She loves hers still. I've ridden her's enough to know I like her's even more than mine; I'll be converting mine to bullhorn brifters this winter; Already have the parts; just not enough season left here to bother with the change until the snow flys.

As for adapting to SRAM Brifters. I road Shimano most of my life; I adapted to double tap after about 150 miles of riding; it's weird at first and then the brain figures it out and they are just as good as Shimano's system.

As for Wheels; it's all about the Hubs.... I'm partial to the tubless ones we went with; again that was a learning experience but now I'm content. The Bontrager Aura5 is a nice affordable Aero wheel; and the Race Lite, and Race XL are great too, also easy to score those on Ebay because they come on lots of Tri-Bikes and get sold unused.

That said the Wheels that Gary and Larry are using and getting are really nice, at a great price. If I had known of them at the time of our build I might have pursued that option.

davengel

to disc or not to disc: how big a rotor will the Silvio take?

Agreed entirely on pros and cons of discs. For me disc brakes are a matter of foxhole religion. Rainy road + distracted driver = STOP NOW OR DIE and (since I survived to type the testimonial) I am devoted to my discs. But yes, there is a maintenance learning curve.

My question was further downstream. Once you've made the decision to use discs, what wheel build makes sense for a full figured boy like me? Spoke count? Hub selection? Anything you'd definitely avoid?

What I'm thinking of using on the Silvio rear wheel is a Shimano Alfine dynamo hub, which will take a disc brake. My current bike has BB7 / 160mm rotor, so I was hoping to make the new rig compatible with that, to permit wheel swapping. Any reason I shouldn't do that? (I haven't even figured out the differences between a BB5 and a BB7 yet...)

Also, thank you, Ratz and Andrew, regarding bars. One funny thing about http://cruzbike.com/silvio-s30-complete: it mentions that all you have to do is attach the handlebars and pedals and get rolling, but nowhere in the list of included items does it actually say what bars come with the build. Anyway, I've decided to start with the stock Origin 8 bar and experiment once I have lived with it for a while.

Jeremy S

Dude
Hi David, the Silvio and

Hi David, the Silvio and Vendetta frames come with custom Cruzbike drop bars. They are not Origin 8 bars. I ride with them on my Silvio and like them.

BentBierz

davengel,I am 6' and 230#. I

davengel,

I am 6' and 230#. I went with the following on my build:

- 32 spoke HED Belgium Plus 25mm disc rims front and rear.
- BB7 Road brakes front and rear.
- 140mm rotor on rear, 160mm on front.
- SON dyno disc hub on rear wheel.
- White Industries CX11-130 Disc Hub for front.
(Yes...I like disc hubs and would have them on everything if I could...my bikes, my likes).
- SRAM Red 22 components include DoubleTap shifters, front derailleur and 50/34, 165mm front crankset.
- Force 22 WiFLi 11-32 cassette and Force 22 WiFLi medium cage derailleur.
- Still playing around with handlebars but will probably go with the SOMA Junebug. I have a set of those and also a set of Salsa Woodchipper 2 bars. The Junebug bars seem to work better for me but I am going to hang on to all of my bars until I get it dialed in and then probably sell the bars I end up not using.

Not long ago I was given permission from my back surgeon to start riding two wheel bikes again (have been riding my trike for the past year) and will FINALLY get my Silvio 2.0 (original version 2.0 ) on the road. Can't wait but I have had such a LONG build-up to this (thought I would be riding it last Spring) that I am actually getting pretty nervous about finally riding it. I ocassionally cringe at the thought that a year later the bike won't be right for me but I have for the most part kept those thoughts out of my mind.

At any rate...good luck on your build!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The  mechanical cable

The mechanical cable operated Avid? BB7 has a rectangular brake pad that is twice the area of the round BB5, and adjusters for both sides that makes it HEAPS easier to align than the BB5, especially if riding a trike with two front brakes and brake levers.

On my Quest I have installed TPR Sprye double mechanical screw brakes, that are even easier again to adjust than the BB7 as there is an equal gap required on each side of the disc, as both pads are actuated, so just loosen the location bolts, tighten the brake, then tighten the location bolts.
Both the BB7 and the TPR Sprye have very progressive braking for bitumen riding or hard packed gravel, while good hydraulic disks are still better for downhill and braking on loose dirt tracks.

Both the BB7 and the TPR Sprye cost about $90, compared to $60 for a Shimano Ultegra 6800 rim brake, but the better braking in the wet is worth it, AND you do not need to carefully clean the rear wheel rim for 1/2 hr after every wet days ride to maintain some rear brakes.

I have gone for a Shutter Precision PD8 6w disc brake hub dynamo,

http://fahrradzukunft.de/14/neue-nabendynamos-im-test/

and will use 32 off Sapim CX Ray Bladed spokes and hopefully a

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/162.htm

700 c BHS C31w AL rim that is 31 mm deep, and 24 mm wide (19 mm inner).

I am waiting to see if a 32 mm wide tyre on a wide 700C rim will fit under the rear Silvio S30 forks.

If not, it will be a 26" Kinlin XM250 rim that is 24 mm deep, 25 mm wide (18 mm inner)

SS