New Silvio Owner advice needed

oldcyclist1950

Hi folks, my last post was "Trying to decide" and I decided. I got delivery of my new Silvio yesterday and went out today. Got comfy in a coast, started pedaling, even started out on an incline although it took me 4 tries. BUT, I dont have the courage to do a complete relaxed leaned back ride yet. Any advice on the balance? Ive been riding urights for 30 years and this is like learning all over again. So HELP!! Tomorrow I go out to do it again. I am stoked but shaky! Thanks, Sandy

oldcyclist1950

So perhaps I am a little

So perhaps I am a little impatient. Ha, patience is a virtue and I hve none. So I will head out tomorrow and do a bit longer a bit more relaxed. We've got some pretty good climbs in the neighborhood so what goe up comes back down. And the flag idea is perfect...I will certainly do that. THANKS

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Congrats on your new purchase

I too got a Silvio back in June, after being a DF rider for 50 years or so.
It took me about a week before I could ride on the road with cars.
Look up flinstoning on the site to give you some more ideas.
For me - I just gently coasted down a slight decline just learning my balance and then each time went a little farther around the loop and back up the other side.
Eventually I could ride around our subdivision - and about 10 days later I was commuting to work.
I really got addicted to the recumbent way of riding and before long I was stretching my 8 mile ride to 20, then 25.
10 weeks after I started I rode in a 12 hour race. It was great, and my appetite was wetted for more.
Good luck, be save, and make sure you get a mirror on your handlebar (if you haven't already- as no other way to see the cars behind you. I would suggest a flag off the back to. It is harder for the cars to see you because you are so low.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
btw -

Walter, you might be wondering why all the strange avatars and screen names.
We are just having some fun with them through Dec, then will will be back to normal.
Stick a photo of you with your Cruzbike and put it as your avatar if you like, that is what most of us do when we are not having an "avatar war".
Check out the thread: ?http://www.cruzbike.com/cruzbike-handle-alias-avatar-fun if you are curious.
Larry

Wannabe

I have

I have had mine for 2 weeks. I was able to ride in a neighbor hood after just a few tries. But I was not good enough to ride on street or with riding club. I practiced everything recommended by the kind folks here and cruzbike. Took a few days and 20 miles. It is worth whatever it takes to get good with your bike ( if you like to ride). ( as the saying goes, "God give me patience and give it to me now!") Once you get it, I am betting you will be like me.... and wonder why you took so long to get "cruzin"

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I like that "avatar war"!

I like that " avatar war" ! Yeah, watch for the Avatars'!

Hey Old', also you will want to get the feel of the bike before you go to hills. I practiced good and plenty on flats before I hit the hills.

+1 on Bob's thread. This is talked about a lot, but yes a little patience will go a long way in developing your MBB rhythm.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Sandy,
All great advice here.

Sandy,

All great advice here. - The results are well worth the patience as anyone here will attest.

Also pay attention to the setup - I dialed your bike is according to your measurements but over time you may find that tweaking the pedal reach/handlebar reach/headrest as you acclimate will help a ton. It takes a bit of time and miles to truly dial it in - i spent an entire riding season - but after all was said and done the feeling of passing a draft line of 14 roadies into a headwind solo (after having been riding 75 miles to that point) was worth ALL of the effort. :)

Robert

oldcyclist1950

Thanks Robert!  Yes I think

Thanks Robert! Yes I think at this point things are good. I rode again today in wind and cold and got the feel of lying back but find I can get into some wild 's' curves during which I have to "flints tone " to get under control. And I have started some small climbing although advice is to stay flat. But I live in Colorado! The more I relax the better thins are until I relax too much. Now I understand when I was teaching my 37 year old some 33 years ago to ride a bike. But each day is better and before long I will be passing those pace lines! Tell me, we are still looking for that 10 degree bend in the leg right? Thank all for the encouragement, Sandy

oldcyclist1950

I should continue by saying

I should continue by saying the bike is great and I can tell will climb, it is the engine right now that needs improving!