New To Cruzbike and your T50?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I have borrowed a Cruzbike Quest and rode it a for a while a couple of summers ago. I returned it after a couple of bad falls. When this opportunity to buy one came about, I jumped on it, and now own a green one that I have assembled, having purchased the complete basic. I have ridden recumbents since the late 1990s and my main bikes now are both Tour Easys. I also still own a Rans Rocket, which was my second recumbent. I traded my first recumbent, a Rans Gliss, to a gentleman for his Tour Easy. I love the Tour Easy and it is very easy to ride and climb and everything else. Even though I had trouble with the Quest, I am looking forward to spending time and doing better with the T50 and probably, since it is not really geared for climbing and I may never use clipless pedals with it, will use it for mostly flat rides and for trail rides, taking on trips for trail riding, and just generally getting around town and looking cool.

I am not a mechanic and was able to assemble the bike, with help from various videos and whatnot. I posted a new thread related to my experience but no one has chimed in yet. A parts list and a diagram of some sort would have been helpful. I realize there was not much to do to put the complete together, but I originally could not find the part to attach the derailleur and found it loose in the packing in the big box. I also did not cut down the stem, because I had no idea where to cut. Probably I could use it to be a little lower, but I am not going to take a hacksaw to it, having no idea what I am doing. The videos from Cruzbike were a good start but the bike being used was not representative of the bike I purchased, and things like installing the steerer tube definitely were not as easy as it looked in the video. I am not especially thrilled with the seat and grips. The quality of those, in my humble opinion, is significantly inferior to what I expected, even though I did not buy the deluxe version. The video for the accessories, likewise was not a lot of help, and, in fact, I am unhappy with the accessories that I purchased on the recommendation that we received after pledging to buy a bike. I have not succeeded in getting in touch with customer service yet and am wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get a response. I need parts and advice for rack installation, or directions how to return them for a refund.

I know several Cruzbike owners in my town, Fresno, California, and we even have a local dealer, but they are not widely ridden. I ride fairly often with a friend with a Silvio. She really does outride me, but we do okay and I am better at directions and so end up being the navigator. I would love to show off my new green T50 and encourage people to buy them, and will as soon as get some answers to make sure I have not left something off (people talking about lock rings and such and the extra clamp I found in the packaging with no instructions about where it goes). I may approach the dealer if necessary, but would prefer not to, since I did not buy the bike from him.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great, and I look forward to being part of the Cruzbike community.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
... I also did not cut down the stem, because I had no idea where to cut...
I'm sure Robert already trimmed your steer tube as part of his pre-assembly steps.

I am not especially thrilled with the seat and grips. The quality of those, in my humble opinion, is significantly inferior to what I expected, even though I did not buy the deluxe version...
The foam grips on my black T50 are growing on me but I agree about the seat cushions, the quality has eroded from the early days and Cruzbike really needs to address it. I would get the Ventisit, those things are great.

Here is the Ventisit on my T50. It is just sitting on the seat pans. I had not stuck it down at this point.

35433700960_aeff8e327f_z.jpg

... I have not succeeded in getting in touch with customer service yet and am wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get a response. ...
They are usually pretty good but it is a small company and sometimes are a little slow. I'd imagine things are still a bit hectic with getting the early-bird Kickstarter shipments taken care of and recovering from RAAM.

... I need parts and advice for rack installation ...
Post more info here, preferably with photos if you can and the tribe will probably chime in. Lot of good riding weather in many parts so might be less keyboarding and more riding going on right now. :)

-Eric

Vicki C.

Thank you for the response.

Yes, perhaps the stem was already cut. The included paper said to cut it to nine inches and it is longer than that, but I didn't really understand what it was telling me to do. I also considered that they are busy sending out the bikes and recovering from RAAM. I don't mind taking a number, but I guess it would be nice to know my messages have been received after a couple of days have gone by. Maybe the start of the new week will bring a response. :) Sometimes a quick phone call can get the answers much more quickly than numerous back and forth emails.

My budget dictates that I not spend any more on this bike than I have already spent at this time, considering that I paid the premium shipping and so forth for the complete. I just really wish the seat cushion were better quality. Grips are not expensive. One of mine came with a slit down the side and probably won't hold up long and I will be replacing them, but that is not a big ticket item. A new seat cushion is. I even considered trying to find foam and make something, but it would be difficult to find a material that ventilates the back. A foam seat pad I am used to.

I just watched the video for the frameset build and realize that there is a part mentioned in that video that is not installed on my bike, a locking headset spacer. I don't know how important it is but from the video it sounds important. Is that why my handlebars are not holding straight?

As for the accessories, I don't know the answer. Hopefully I will get a response soon to my emails, phone call and FB message. :)

ratz

I just watched the video for the frameset build and realize that there is a part mentioned in that video that is not installed on my bike, a locking headset spacer. I don't know how important it is but from the video, it sounds important. Is that why my handlebars are not holding straight?

As far as we know/speculate that was dropped from the specs after the videos were made, but we are waiting on official word. It's really not needed; it's nice for beginners, more experienced people would toss it aside same as their skewer springs. The old Ditech ones on the Q series cause a lot of confusion so that might have factored in. When someone hears official word I'm sure it will get posted.

DavidJL

I have noticed that the stem will slip on the mast. I roughed up the clamp area on the mast, hoping that the handlebars will not slip as easily. To secure the headset adjustment, I used the BI-3 headset locking from my QX100 bike.

Brad R

Thanks much for the "learn to ride" instructions.

I practiced in my driveway on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

I practiced (5 miles worth) in the high school parking lot on Sunday afternoon.

This evening, I took my first ride on the road. It was only a mile to the pharmacy and a mile back, but it was a big deal to have the confidence to ride on the road.

I coasted down the hill to town and found the bike pretty easy to ride up the hill to home.

I haven't tried riding up my steep driveway yet. I want to find a series of different grade hills to practice on and work my way up to steeper hills.

Vicki C.

I'm sure Robert already trimmed your steer tube as part of his pre-assembly steps.

The foam grips on my black T50 are growing on me but I agree about the seat cushions, the quality has eroded from the early days and Cruzbike really needs to address it. I would get the Ventisit, those things are great.

Here is the Ventisit on my T50. It is just sitting on the seat pans. I had not stuck it down at this point.

35433700960_aeff8e327f_z.jpg

They are usually pretty good but it is a small company and sometimes are a little slow. I'd imagine things are still a bit hectic with getting the early-bird Kickstarter shipments taken care of and recovering from RAAM.

Post more info here, preferably with photos if you can and the tribe will probably chime in. Lot of good riding weather in many parts so might be less keyboarding and more riding going on right now. :)

-Eric

I am curious. Is the entry level seat cushion the same as on the Ventisit with only a different cover? Or is the whole thing different? I never paid attention to other Cruzbikes I have ridden. I just know that the cushions were attractive and well made.

DavidJL

The seat cushion does have a Ventisit-like appearance. The QX seat cushion is two piece, closed-cell foam on the back side and open-cell foam on the sitting side, one part for the seat pan and the other part for the seat back.

Jeremy S

Dude
I am curious. Is the entry level seat cushion the same as on the Ventisit with only a different cover? Or is the whole thing different? I never paid attention to other Cruzbikes I have ridden. I just know that the cushions were attractive and well made.
If you're asking about a Ventisit cushion: the whole thing is different from stock. Ventisit is one material, like a net folded over on itself many times; there is no cover or layers of different foam.

If you're asking about cushions between bikes: I remember my stock Sofrider cushion looking a bit more finished than my Silvio 2.0 cushions, which consist of a fabric cover and a couple of layers of foam. No idea how the T50 cushion compares.

Last edited:

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
T50 cushion is a single thicker piece of the very light weight open-cell foam. No second, thin base layer of dense closed-cell foam and the cushion cover has no embroidery and the sewing seems less polished.

35855953515_6f1c336465_c.jpg

I think the cushions should have the same quality apparent in the Cruzbike cap, which is really nice.

-Eric

ratz

T50 cushion is a single thicker piece of the very light weight open-cell foam. No second, thin base layer of dense closed-cell foam and the cushion cover has no embroidery and the sewing seems less polished.

I think the cushions should have the same quality apparent in the Cruzbike cap, which is really nice.

-Eric

I think that speaks to the popularity of the Ventisit pads; seems like 3 out of 4 people go Ventisit.... Perhaps a transition of the default is required but that, of course, affects cost for customer and supplier. I'm not sure I'd have wanted that choice on a kickstarter project.... and nope I'm not sure what the correct answer is, just thinking out loud.

Brad R

Got another 7 miles in tonight while my son was at hockey camp.

I averaged 10 mph on residential streets and sidewalks including stops. I am not trying to go fast yet. So it is nice to see that taking it easy is still giving a reasonable pace for my first week on a Cruzbike.

I like the having the 559 wheels on both ends. My Compass Naches Pass tires and the long wheelbase of the T50 provide a smooth ride.

Still have to concentrate on what I am doing, but it is getting easier to ride an almost straight line when I want to and to transition from straight to turning and back to straight.

It will be time to put the SPD pedals on soon. I always feel so much better connected to my bike with clipless pedals.

I think I am going to like this bike a lot.

Brad R

I started my build last Friday and ended the week with a total of 28 miles.

I feel pretty comfortable.

I even tried riding up my steep driveway at the end of my 15 miles this evening. I made it halfway and was able to stop and put my feet down without any drama.

I am not comfortable pedaling at a fast cadence yet. But I have been over 20 mph on some downhills and was able to hold 21 mph on the flat after the hill for quite ways.

This is going to be a fun bike!

Vicki C.

Well, I managed to do five miles and only wobbled once. I am finding this T50 a little more forgiving than the Quest I tried two years ago. I also found out another local cyclist has joined the Cruzbike family, but she is starting out at the top with a Vendetta. :). She is a strong cyclist on a DF and I expect she will really enjoy her Vendetta. And going out and riding 50 miles on my Tour Easy and then coming home and riding the T50 is working out just fine. I am so glad I can ride both.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I put the SPD pedals on today. The bike feels even better with my feet attached securely to the pedals.

I found it easier to pedal at a higher cadence.

I was able to climb my steep driveway and the other steepest hills in town in 2nd gear.

I completely agree with you.

At first, I think it is very helpful to not be clipped in as taking your feet off of the pedals makes the bike feel much more "normal" to novices.

After getting experience, being clipped in makes riding a Cruzbike (in my opinion) much easier.

Vicki C.

I completely agree with you.

At first, I think it is very helpful to not be clipped in as taking your feet off of the pedals makes the bike feel much more "normal" to novices.

After getting experience, being clipped in makes riding a Cruzbike (in my opinion) much easier.

I haven't got the courage yet to do so, but I know once I am more confident on the starts and tight turns that I will likely install the clipless pedals waiting for me.