New Vedetta NeckRest R&D

trplay

Zen MBB Master
It wasn't long ago when a Cruzbike frameset came with air pillow packaging for exactly that concept. I never used mine , now I have no idea where it is :( How about trying those kiddie water wings?

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
"How about trying those kiddie water wings?" "How about a hot water bottle? They are pretty tough."

Both of those would likely be more durable than the packaging air pillows. My suggestion came as a result of being a former packaging salesman, which also has me wondering if bubble wrap would also be a low cost and highly configurable option? The 3/16" would have the smoothest surface, and the 1/2" would provide the most flexibility. One could combine the two for the best of both. Office supply stores now sell bubble in smaller quantities, making it a small investment. Or if one could source it, barrier bubble would have the best durability.

Just a thought from my clouded mind...

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
"How about trying those kiddie water wings?" "How about a hot water bottle? They are pretty tough."

Both of those would likely be more durable than the packaging air pillows. My suggestion came as a result of being a former packaging salesman, which also has me wondering if bubble wrap would also be a low cost and highly configurable option? The 3/16" would have the smoothest surface, and the 1/2" would provide the most flexibility. One could combine the two for the best of both. Office supply stores now sell bubble in smaller quantities, making it a small investment. Or if one could source it, barrier bubble would have the best durability.

Just a thought from my clouded mind...

Bubble warp + 1
Fooled into thinking your tire popped -2

:p

trplay

Zen MBB Master
It seems I am getting closer to nailing the headrest. The photo shows my latest attempt. The smaller Headrest is for the Silvio which has had the frame shortened. The larger one is for the standard size headrest. I'm using kiddie water wings as the bladders shown in the second photo. The water wings have two independent air bubbles and are connected with a flat piece of plastic to make a triangle for the arms to fit through. I have simply cut the triangle to make it straight. This is nice because you can adjust the amount of air in each bubble and it provides a natural curve. Still working out the aesthetics but the comfort and shock absorption results are the best so far.
hr.jpg

hr1.jpg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey Moose... you are getting very creative! Still I love the idea of putting some of those blown inner tubes to work somehow.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Ok for those of you who have been following my road to 500 miles thread you have read of my struggles with the stock headrest. So over the last week I've brainstormed several ideas that in effect will accomplish two things.

1st Keeping the headrest in contact with the neck up to the base of the skull and no higher to avoid discomfort from helmet interference.

2nd Adding a small amount of shock absorption to bumps in the road that with the stock headrest makes it feel like someone just hit you with a baseball bat with every sharp bump.

My first idea was a plate system made from spring steel and after some searching around I found that someone was already making a system similar to what I was thinking but out of aluminum instead. I liked their execution of the idea but with a lack of up and down adjustment I didn't want to spend the $150 on something I may not be 100% happy with, plus I have my own sheet metal shop so I can make as many prototypes as I want till it's perfect. I was doing just that this morning when another idea popped into my head. Why a foam pad? No matter what grade of pad you use there will always be spots of high and low pressure that can lead to discomfort so why not ditch the pad for suspension? If I make a small leather hammock in just the right place it should be light enough for racers and comfortable enough for tourist.

Here's what I've got so far and obviously I lack the proper leather material for the hammock part but I can make do with some foam toolbox drawer liner for now. My first impression is extremely positive and I can't wait to fine tune it a bit more so I can take it for a spin.

With the new hammock idea I don't think I'll need the spring of the spring steel so I may just stay with the 1/8" aluminum. If you guys and gals have an ideas or suggestions nows the time to speak up so I can still change my design as I go.

95CD25C5-424C-4A3D-9DFE-C25FF6A142D0_zpsxv0fz9am.jpg
38C86A65-7401-419A-9713-155033A9395F_zps70itttlq.jpg
233EAB47-686A-4F96-BB1F-EDC7FB549A01_zpszn3dxugg.jpg
B622998C-6922-42C6-AE65-FCA48372C666_zpsvc3wuhre.jpg

I was looking at this again and was struck with how the vertical upright section would be an interesting area to experiment with mounting various doo-dads - lights, bag, bottels, etc. Particularly with a quick release design.

-Eric