New Vendetta V20

Yes, I remember the feeling well!
Have a great time Abbott - we'll all be expecting some pictures on your build!
Thanks LarryOz. I'm definitely excited. Will put up pictures of the build.

She's going to be a bit of a Frankenstein initially. I need a working bike and the frameset taxed my budget. My best friend is raiding his spares and we're canabalizing my V-Rex to get her up and running. Going with a compact Shimano ten speed crank set and a 9 speed cassette for now. Eventually I'll switch out the rear to a 10 speed wide range 11-42. But not now.

She won't be as color coordinated as some of the other bikes here, but she'll be beautiful to me.

BTW, her name is Sigrditha. She's named after a Valkerie and her name means "Inciter to Victory". Specifically she's an inciter to victory over hills and an inciter to victory over the daily challenges I face as a person living with T1 diabetes.

image.jpg View attachment 134
Today Duncan Watson and I worked on building the Seattle area Cruzbike community. We met for the first time and went for a ride on a local trail. We rode our existing recumbents while I wait for next weekend and the rest of my Vendetta parts and Duncan builds his cycling fitness before purchasing his Vendetta. A quick photo for Charles to prove we were on the trail.

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
View attachment 135 View attachment 134
Today Duncan Watson and I worked on building the Seattle area Cruzbike community. We met for the first time and went for a ride on a local trail. We rode our existing recumbents while I wait for next weekend and the rest of my Vendetta parts and Duncan builds his cycling fitness before purchasing his Vendetta. A quick photo for Charles to prove we were on the trail.

I consider it proved. :D

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Kind of curious I noticed that the front wheel had the cover on and not the back wheel. I always thought the drag coefficient was on the rear end. Perhaps someone can tell me? As I am thinking of putting covers on. Personally I would have thought it would be safer on the rear as the front seems twitchy without any gusts hitting the bike when doing 30+ MPH

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Kind of curious I noticed that the front wheel had the cover on and not the back wheel. I always thought the drag coefficient was on the rear end. Perhaps someone can tell me? As I am thinking of putting covers on. Personally I would have thought it would be safer on the rear as the front seems twitchy without any gusts hitting the bike when doing 30+ MPH

I believe you are correct on both accounts. I think MBB bikes will handle a front cover better than RWB bikes, but a front cover in wind is going to make things dicey regardless.

This is Lief 's bike. The front cover and racing slicks both make it twitchy. I won't set my V20 up like this because I have different goals. Lief uses his bike for competitive short sprinting.

DuncanWatson

Abbot, I had a great time meeting you and going for a ride on the Eastside trails. You mentioned your Tahoe JDRF charity ride coming up on the ride. Do you have the page for that? I wanted to toss some into the kitty.

Abbot, I had a great time meeting you and going for a ride on the Eastside trails. You mentioned your Tahoe JDRF charity ride coming up on the ride. Do you have the page for that? I wanted to toss some into the kitty.
Duncan, it was a pleasure to meet you. I had fun as well. Thanks for wanting to support the JDRF. Here's the link to my personal ride page and a bit about why I ride and why I ride to support the JDRF.

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?fr_id=5205&pg=personal&px=9550496

Last edited:

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Davidch,
I have a cover on the front because they are easier to come by-since they are usually on the back of the old fashioned bikes (OFB).

Getting a cover for a non-drive wheel proved just a bit more effort.

Bob has a line on a company that will make one custom for you.
I looked it up online and made my own.

It makes a noticeable difference. The front just a bit more difference but you are right, in any wind, speeds get twitchy.
Not completely undoable though. Maria has done ultra events with two full discs.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yes - 2 full discs are do-able, I road 2 full discs down in Sebring this year for 24 hours.
You just have to be alert "all the time", especially on the open road. It is quite tiring.
Certain trucks generate a massive amount of wind against you.
Also coming into an area that is open and allows the wind to fly through can also play havoc with you.
There were several times I almost lost it at Sebring.
Bottom line, it is just hard to stay that focused all the time.
The back full discs are harder to come by, but the V and S are easy to ride with just a back disc. The front one is what makes it twitchy to me.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For front covers you just have to find someone that is willing to sell you Qty 2 non-drive side covers from a rear wheel. The dish on the non drive side on most 130mm rears is very close to the dishing on both sides of a standard 100mm front wheel. You get 3 basic options. Make your own, buy cheap from wheelbuilder.com (they work but are noisey). Or buy expensive from someone like catalyst.bike. Get a true "disc" wheel made for the the CB Rear now that's a whole-nother animal. If you only have 1 wheel and want to remove the cover and put it back on for events then wheelbuilder is probably the best bet at $100. Catalyst is a nicer cover and you probably want to Permanently mount it on a dedicated wheel.

image.jpg I find it fascinating that this thread has wobbled all over the place following an erratic path that pretty accurately traces the fledgling efforts of most neophyte FWD MBB riders.

Look, more bike bits arrived today. And my new compact crankset is ready to retrieve as well.

Last edited: