New Vendetta V20

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I find it fascinating that this thread has wobbled all over the place following an erratic path that pretty accurately traces the fledgling efforts of most neophyte FWD MBB riders.
Sorry Abbott, we can be a wobbly group sometimes (but once we mount our adored steeds, we R-not), as I just wobbled off topic once again! :D:D:D

Lief

Guru Schmuru
The dish on the non drive side on most 130mm rears is very close to the dishing on both sides of a standard 100mm front wheel.

I tried that one side using my Wheelbuilder cover to see if I could do it (Tim Turner suggestion...again) but it wasn't a good fit.
I'm going to post my DIY method now on a separate thread.

Remember waking up early on X-Mas morning or your birthday because the anticipation was driving you a bit crazy? Yep. It's build day and I'm wired to the walls.

DuncanWatson

You have my phone number Abbott. If you need anything give me a call, I may something hidden in my garage to help. I love how Robert's build time-lapse came out just in time.

Thanks Duncan. Took all day but we got her built and I was able to take her out in the local nursery parking lot. Still need to tweek the fit, so we held off on things like handlebar tape. But had a blast being able to recline fully while playing with a variety of figure eights and loops. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Very nice!

I tried riding a Silvio 30 this weekend and while it was fine (I got on and rode), I didn't like how the handlebars were too close to my chest. I like how you have more clearance there (I like to be able to sit up on big hills and in traffic).

Lief

Guru Schmuru
NOW THERE is a Vendetta what fits ya!
Looks great!

Whenever you are ready I'll meet up and we'll get some dual-vendetta riding in.
Awesome.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
just a thought - You might consider relocating the rear brake to the top bosses - gives you more room for a frame pack in that space between the seat/rear triangle.

just a thought - You might consider relocating the rear brake to the top bosses - gives you more room for a frame pack in that space between the seat/rear triangle.
Thanks Lief. Thought about it but opted for this to make the build quicker. My friend is an OFB kinda guy and he liked the challenge of building Sigr-d, but I didn't want to push it. His comment about her when we were done was that the reclined position would drive him batty. (He also referred to her as an 'Unicycle with a Training Wheel'. As I said previously we rib each other regularly about our riding preferences.o_O)

Just grateful he helped and I have a new bike.

Woke up this morning to wet roads and a light drizzle. Perfect weather for our first ride in the neighborhood.

Out the driveway and through the first roller. Too high a gear on that first hill. Walk to the crest and downshift on the downhill side. Did a few circuits of the end loop changing tempo, practicing hills and basic shifting. Worked on varying my position and relaxing into a full recline on both the uphill and downhill segment of the loop.

Few observations:

1. Look at the horizon, not the pedals.

2. Relax. This bike is well designed. Trust that she will take care of you if you ride her as she was designed to be ridden.

3. If things are a bit dodgy, sit up and coast. Take it easy. No harm in looking like a neophyte. I am a neophyte on the FWD MBB.

4. And for Charles we have proof. :)image.jpg

Very nice!

I tried riding a Silvio 30 this weekend and while it was fine (I got on and rode), I didn't like how the handlebars were too close to my chest. I like how you have more clearance there (I like to be able to sit up on big hills and in traffic).
Robert's advice about the steering extension was great advice (the silver gizmo above the fork) really helps. I'm 6'2" with an X-seam of 47.5". I needed to set her up with the clearance to ride her comfortably. So far I'm loving this set up. The extra clearance makes her easy to ride, get on/off and shift position while riding. Felt totally comfortable removing a hand from the handlebars going downhill to adjust my mirror.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Few observations:

1. Look at the horizon, not the pedals.

2. Relax. This bike is well designed. Trust that she will take care of you if you ride her as she was designed to be ridden.

3. If things are a bit dodgy, sit up and coast. Take it easy. No harm in looking like a neophyte. I am a neophyte on the FWD MBB.

4. And for Charles we have proof. :)View attachment 218

Charles is happy.

You are absolutely right about (1) and (2) above. What I recommend for newbies is if you feel like things are going south, take your feet off of the pedals and let your arms take over. It's weird at first having your legs interfering with your steering.

This leads to contradictory-seeming advice. I'm a big fan of clipless pedals and MBB bikes, but clearly you shouldn't do that if you still occasionally need to take your feet off of the pedals. (Unweighting your feet from the pedals without unclipping is just as good, but takes practice).

Again, I very much like your setup because you can sit up.

Cheers,
Charles

Lief

Guru Schmuru
another observation about your setup Abbott.
I know you are using "scavenged parts" but with those cables coming out the side of the hoods - I'm surprised you don't have interference.
For the next iteration (shifters/brifters) you might want to get internally routed cabling.
It'll clean up the cockpit quite a bit.

NOW THERE is a Vendetta what fits ya!
Looks great!

Whenever you are ready I'll meet up and we'll get some dual-vendetta riding in.
Awesome.
Soon Lief. I'm feeling really comfortable on her already. I'm adjusting my training schedule accordingly. This week will be all about ride reps. Morning and evening. I'll probably also try to get in a Sammamish River trail ride.

If this continues to settle in quickly, I'll resume training next weekend. The JDRF is doing a ride around LaConnor Sunday. If I make it up and down Ed Hill before then, I'll ride with the JDRF NW crew on Sunday. Then my normal Wednesday loop around Mercer Island nect week and the Skagit Spring Classic the following Saturday.

If I feel confident enough I'll do the Chuckanut-Lake Sammish-Bow Hill route. If not I'll stick to the farmland shorter route.

That's a lot more aggressive than I originally planned but if I feel comfortable there isn't a reason not to do it. I'm not going to hammer the route, just ride it safely.

another observation about your setup Abbott.
I know you are using "scavenged parts" but with those cables coming out the side of the hoods - I'm surprised you don't have interference.
For the next iteration (shifters/brifters) you might want to get internally routed cabling.
It'll clean up the cockpit quite a bit.

Yeah. The cabling gave us fits. Think we tore up four derailleur cables on the RD alone. Part of the mess comes from not having the handlebars taped. But the derailleur cables come out of these Ultegra brifters on the sides. We tweaked the placement until I had the clearance I needed. Not the most esthetic cabling but it works.

Charles is happy.

You are absolutely right about (1) and (2) above. What I recommend for newbies is if you feel like things are going south, take your feet off of the pedals and let your arms take over. It's weird at first having your legs interfering with your steering.

This leads to contradictory-seeming advice. I'm a big fan of clipless pedals and MBB bikes, but clearly you shouldn't do that if you still occasionally need to take your feet off of the pedals. (Unweighting your feet from the pedals without unclipping is just as good, but takes practice).

Again, I very much like your setup because you can sit up.

Cheers,
Charles
Thanks Charles for the insight.

Being able to sit up was critical to me. I bought this bike because I can change position during climbs. Sitting up and rocking when necessary is one of critical advantages of this design.