New wheels for my V20

Alan W Dolbeer

First ride on the V20 today with the new wheelset was a nice 50 miles on the Silver Comet Trail here in Georgia, USA. The wheelset is 2016 Boyd 44mm carbon clinchers with the Eternity hubset. The wheels are specifically designed for the wider 25mm tires that many of us ride with these days. Outer rim width at the brake track is 27mm. The nondrive wheel fitted no problem. The drive wheel however would not initially fit between the SRAM Force front caliper. The issue being the aft part of the brake pads hit the fork blades. My solution was to insert a small spacer (circled in 2nd pic) to move the brake forward perhaps 2mm. This allowed the pads to open wide enough to accept the 27mm wide Boyd rim.
V20_w_2016_Boyd_44mm CF_wheels.JPG V20_Brake_w_2016_Boyd Wheels_edit.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Looks Good Alan, that's a common problem with the SRAM force calibers in many sets of rims. I had 3 spacers on of the silvios, that fix should hold you good for may miles.

Apollo

Very nice wheelset! Your bike looks like it was made for these wheels, they complement it so well. What tires did you choose?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
NICE wheels. That is the exact way I attached my Norback to my new V20 build - bolted it right to the seat after drilling a few holes. Works great! This allows me to leave the bike specific items in that bag and swap my scarab bag on/off different bikes and save it for commute gear.

Robert

jond

Zen MBB Master
that's a common problem with the SRAM force calibers in many sets of rims. I had 3 spacers on of the silvios, that fix should hold you good for may miles.

hi ratz is this clearance issue related purely to the design of the new fork of the v20 in comparison to the v2???? and does it include shimano 6800/9000 calipers dual pivot??

i have a new core edition v20 i am going to build up and was looking to transfer my calipers sram red or purchase some new better performing 6800/9000 calipers with the added benefit of being able to locate the rear caliper to the aero position.

Alan W Dolbeer

Ratz,
I went by the LBS today and purchased a longer threaded insert. Now I am not worried about having enough threads engaged from the caliper stud.

Apollo,
Tires are Conti GP4000s 25mm, which happens to be the same tire Boyd Johnson used when designing the rim. I use the 23mm version on my Silvio 1.5 as the suspension smooths out road imperfections rather well. In fact, I have Conti tires on two hybrid bikes and 29er MTB as I have experienced good service with Conti brand tires.

Kline,
Yes, it is the Norback bag. I cut the velrco straps off the bag and attached it to the seat with four pop rivots and backing washers. The bag is fairly well shielded from the wind I think, though perhaps not completely free from wind drag. If I needed more on bike storage space, I would add the Scarab bag as Robert commented above.

Robert,
Thanks. I have been enjoying the V20 when not away for work. Fairly well dialed in now. Next purchase will likely be a Garmin GPS unit, though don't know when I will get around to adding one.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Apollo,
Tires are Conti GP4000s 25mm, which happens to be the same tire Boyd Johnson used when designing the rim.
And it was good to see them mounted in the correct direction on the wheel.

hi ratz is this clearance issue related purely to the design of the new fork of the v20 in comparison to the v2???? and does it include shimano 6800/9000 calipers dual pivot??

The clearance issue was there on the Silvo 2.1 pretty bad; not as bad on the Vendetta TT 2.0 but still there.

SRAM Rival's really bad, two thick brake washers needed (Tektro Serrated #6 washer)
SRAM Force better but still more than any single (Tektro #6 + Campagnolo toothed washer).
The 6800 series needed a single Tektro #6 much better but then you are using a 4:1 ratio break so you have those issues.

Really the forks are wide enough to tolerate the the brake hitting the fork a little bit (front mounted break only). In that case (brake restricted by fork) you can still easily get a 25c on and off the bike; so it then becomes a function of: can you tolerate the brake scratching the paint job for the fork.

some new better performing 6800/9000 calipers with the added benefit of being able to locate the rear caliper to the aero position.

Just remember 4:1 ratio on those; versus 3:1 if you keep your SRAM brifters.

The new Tririg brakes I got seem like they are going to work really good on the front and they might work good on the back too; They look to have some good power but you might not be able wait until I can actually road test them.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
They look to have some good power but you might not be able wait until I can actually road test them.
:) too right ordered the ultegra calipers. the brake advantage will be good on the carbon rims.

on another note . re: ten speed powertap wheelset hubs. 11 speed shimano cassette will not fit. i was able to have machined the shoulders of the powertap 10 speed freehubs taking off 1.8mm to convert it to 11 speed. by adding the standard spacer i can convert back to 10 speed for my DF etc. no dishing of wheel required.