Newbie... Differences in Freerider vs. S30/40?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi all,

New to the forum. I have been riding roadbike for a few years and wanted to give recumbent a try because I am tired of constantly going to PT and massage for my lower back and shoulder. I was lucky enough, to my wife's disappointment, to have found and bought used Bacchetta G26 and Freerider to try them out. I actually learned how to ride both in about 30 min in the middle school parking lot. Both have fair components.

For Freerider, I understand it's the entry level bike. It's heavy and a little clunky, especially its front concentrated weight. The torque steer from the feet is a little unnerving, especially when trying to turn and pedal at the same time. I am curious as to how different the Freerider is from S30/40 in its torque steer, ability to maneuver, weight distribution, and smoothness.

Thanks.
Michael

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I don't own an S30/40 but what I know is that they are significantly lighter in weight(nearly by half) than the old freerider. They are also more reclined, with fixed seat angles.

The weight distribution should be a little more balanced for the S30/40 than the Freerider albeit still a little front heavy compared to a RWD recumbent.

The pedal steer is a fundamental feature of all cruzbikes because of the FWD moving bottom bracket design. It requires some time to learn it. It is best if you learn and practice it exclusively for some time without mixing it with the RWD Bachetta. Once you learn to ride it the unwanted pedal steer will seem to disappear, because your hands and legs will start working synchronously together.

The advantage of the pedal steer is that once you master it, riding hands free is very possible because one can deliberately steer with the feet! In addition by pulling on the handlebars you can generate alot more torque than just pushing with your feet. The S30/S40 and reportedly very good climbers compared to the RWD recumbents.

Last edited:
I do not have a free rider but I do own a Sofrider and a S30. The Sofrider is more of a utility bike. It is heavier and, for me, it is more like you ride the bike. My S30 is in a totally different class. The S30 is a smooth operating road bike. I glide into the seat instead of sitting on the Sofrider seat. I feel more connected to my S30. The Sofrider is my truck and the S30 is my sports car. I can maneuver each equally well. They are built for different purposes.

Suz

I do not have a free rider but I do own a Sofrider and a S30. The Sofrider is more of a utility bike. It is heavier and, for me, it is more like you ride the bike. My S30 is in a totally different class. The S30 is a smooth operating road bike. I glide into the seat instead of sitting on the Sofrider seat. I feel more connected to my S30. The Sofrider is my truck and the S30 is my sports car. I can maneuver each equally well. They are built for different purposes.

Yes! This. I own the same two bikes. Perfect explanation.

I will add that I was glad to learn on a more upright bike (sofrider) first before going to a reclined seat (S30). However it looks like the S40 has the best of both worlds in terms of learning without a super reclined position.

Oh and the T50 has way less torque steer in my opinion than the sofrider. If that helps