Next Shocker mtb good for conversion?

Jon Austin

Found this on the trash pile down the road. Is this a suitable donor frame ? note the welded cross bar by the shock.

26" Men's NEXT Shocker Mountain Bike

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/26-mens-next-shocker-mountain-bike

Jon Austin

Thanks Charles

It is a 24 inch bike Charles but I'm trying to accommodate a smaller rider (my girl). My donor bike is a boy's veresion so it does feel like it might be high

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Jon,
How tall is she?  A

Hi Jon,

How tall is she? A folding (or even "BMX") bike may be the way to go...

Cheers,
Charles

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Jon,
How tall is she?  A

Hi Jon,

How tall is she? A folding (or even "BMX") bike may be the way to go...

Cheers,
Charles

Jon Austin

5'6"

5'6". A Canadian Frog with long legs. On closer look this is a 26" bike which she had no trouble riding in diamond frame mode. Her only complaint was the hard seat!!!! She kept looking longingly over at my Lightning Phantom ! Unfortunately I can't afford a her's model of the same!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
In the past, Doug Burton has

In the past, Doug Burton has said:
Generally the bike is easier to handle at a stop if the seat height is 3 inches or more below your inseam measurement. A clue to a good top tube is when the seat mounting area is below the bottom of the steering head tube when viewed from the side.

If that's true in her case, then I think you're o.k.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Charles' comments are correct...

Charles is fixing it so I don't have to post as much.
shades_smile.gif

And so far he's been right every time.

... but if it's a junkpile (I read "free") bike, all is not lost.

I'm 5'6" with a 28" inseam, so I can relate to your challenge here.

You really want to keep the seat height in this case to about 25" or less.

A way you could use this frame is to replace that tall front fork with a rigid, inexpensive ATB fork - you could find one at a bike co-op, or maybe even at the dump, so anywhere from free to $5-10. They're pretty common. It's unlikely you'll miss the front suspension in this case. My experience is that with these Walmart-level bikes, the front suspension is going to bottom out every time you look at it hard anyway.

That rigid ATB fork would lower the front by maybe 3-4 inches.

Then, you can dial-back the preload on the rear suspension to lower the rear. Just turn the upper spring mount and watch the suspension lower down.

This would keep the steering geometry intact, and lower the bike significantly.

Then, if she falls in love with it and you find you like tinkering with bikes, you can always keep an eye out for other frames and transfer the kit parts.

Hard to say "no" to functional free stuff, especially if you can have fun and learn by using it.

One of my favorite frames for tinkering, the Walmart Tiara kids bike, my Dad picked up two of from a flea market for $5.

Good luck. Shout out if you need help. We're all with you out here.

Cheers,

Doug

Jon Austin

Thanks Doug & Charles

Great input here Doug. I'll get the tape measure out. I think I have the ATB hard fork you are talking about here on another junker (or should I say repurposed bike?!). This is wonderful help and thanks to the both of you. ......Jon