Nice Morning Ride

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Today, I took the day off for my wife who had out-patient surgery. She didn't have to go into the hospital until noon, so I decided to take advantage of the early morning cool and went out to do some climbing. I did two laps around the Sunset loop, which has a few short but steep grades and just a lot of climbing. Very scenic, though and not too much traffic. I passed a few road bikes and wouldn't have gotten passed except for having a bee fly into my jersey and sting me. I stopped for that, but otherwise hammered the whole loup. I couldn't remember how, for sure, to do the second loup and took a couple streets that were about 20% grades. Couldn't get up them, as my tires are getting worn after 5000+ miles and were slipping badly. Finally, I found the right street and got back up for the second loup. I came down on Ford street and headed out to do a lap of greenspot, another favorite ride. On the way down, I got passed by a DF because I was just kind of lazing along. He never stood a chance when we passed under the fwy and started up the other side. I cruised right past him and made the comment "no fair stannding up!" as I rolled past. He retorted, "No fair sitting down!"

I got around Greenspot in just fine shape and decided I had time and stuff left in my legs, so I headed up Weaver street in Highland. It's a pretty good climb in and of itself. I got to the top of that and decided to head up Cloverhill, which was a bear of a climb. I didn't slip my wheel, but I'm pretty sure there were climbs in excess of 10-15%. I got home with 43 miles on the computer, a good deal of which was climbing. I felt pretty good.

The wife's surgery went fine, so it was a great day.

Mark