Nice to met you all

philip1el

Hi, My name is Philip and I have ordered a Silvio.

At present I have a Trek Modane with ultegra components over here in UK and a Rowbike abroad. I actually owned a recumbent trike some years ago that was easy, the Silvio is not going to be quite the same!

I have read with great interest the tips for starting out on this forum and also visited a guy that lives locally who managed just 200 miles before he sold his Silvio, so I am under no illusions!

Before the Sivio arrives the helmet cam will, my idea is to strap the cam on before I even put foot to pedal and record in agonising detail my first attempts on this most unique vehicle. Then I will post the link to the forum

I will start on the Somerset Levels, its flat. My feeling is that no matter what stay on/with the bike just take all that advice you guys have given and try to keep going thru the wobbles, over compensations as far as I can.

This is my plan!

Romagjack

What a great idea. I've

What a great idea. I've always thought of getting a helmet cam for wildlife videos from a Cruzbike.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  I feel sorry for the people

I feel sorry for the people who give up too soon they dont know what they missed. I have over 7000 happy miles on my Silvio. Jack

philip1el

It arrived within a working day!

Well the bike arrived before the helmet cam! I ordered it on Thursday from the States and it arrived outside my door in UK on MONDAY, yesterday!!!!!! Its 95% assembled but still decided I would take it to my local bike shop and get them to do the final bits and pieces. Think it will be ready this Friday. Helmet cam arrived this morning!

philip1el

1st time out on Silvio

Bike was great, helmetcam wasnt! Picked it up from the cycle shop, seems like boom adjustment was tricky to get right because of cable lengths, It took them 4 hours to get that last 5% right and this is a shop thats assembled a Silvio before. This is a well respected shop in our locality and the owner a pro biker, so I am very, very glad that I didnt try to assemble it myself at home.

My first 10 minutes were fraught, I just didnt get the feeling I was going to be able to ride the bike, the pedals a distant speck on the horizon ahead of this HUGE Wheel....then I drove the bike by truck away to a car park and finally 'found' the pedals with my feet and I WAS NOT going to let them go so I did a near suicidal turn and headed out down the road. 28 miles later I was back in the car park.

I am absolutely delighted with the bike, its just fine.

First impressions? Its a Weight shift machine like a windsurfer or hanglider.... feather like touch on the bars.....when I felt the beginnings of divergence I just relaxed my grip and the bike all but took over and rode itself. Sounds hard to relax instead of tense up when things feel like they are going to go wrong but it wasnt. Starts will need some polishing what I am doing at present is getting the bike to roll and then giving the pedal a fairly strong initial thrust to get momentum then catch the other pedal quick and give that a fairly good poke too, if I dont do that I lose inertia and start heading towards the roadside ditch!

Helmet can total bummer switched it on cycled for 2 hours came back here...NOTHING!...and I thought the cam would be the very least of my worries! My average speed over 2 hrs was awful but I think that was because I had the computer on when I was messing around in the car park and once I got out on the road I started off for the first half hour in a very low gear. Later sort of found my confidence and got to about 17-18mph top speed on the flat, then was joined by my mate Mike who dragged me up a hill (she climbs VERY well) downhill too scary for me at present so only 21 mph with LOADS of brake.

Weather permitting, I will do my 60 miler on her on Saturday instead of using my conventional bike, then I want to pedal her over to Wales the week after. Its all about time. My advice to anyone starting like me is once you get going dont stop keep going and everything else will fall into place if you allow it too. Go, go, go!

Superb design, lovely bike, happy customer

Tom Roberts

Similar Story

I too felt very unsure of myself on the bike at the beginning so I in similar fashion found a large parking lot (car park) to ride in until the bike and I were on the same page. Four plus years later I have over 5,000 miles on my Sofrider, over 11,000 miles on my Silvio and a few hundred on my Vendetta. Happy with all three bikes.

philip1el

second ride

Managed to get in longish ride on the Silvio, learnt loads felt much more confident, but then 64 miles of flat on nearly empty roads can lead to pride before the fall! The bike and I 'left the page' on the only descent when I decided to just let the bike run down a nice steep section of road and. Started to go all over the road at 30mph and ended up in an undignified heap in front of the oncoming traffic that had halted to enjoy the view (me in a state of oscilation) dont know how I initiated wild divergence probably a lean forward or a shift on the seat. A sobering experience and with my brake levers torn off an expensive one, I suffered absolutely no injury other than a very slightly barked knee. So back to the bike shop and time for reflection. I THINK it may have occured because I am over extended on the bike, I need to shorten the boom, my heel looks to be a good inch off the pedal fully extended. I am also perpelexed as to how I was able to walk away from the accident, fools luck. The lead vehicle driver that stopped for me was very gracious, I think if I had been him I would have given me a piece of my mind. Had hoped to do 120 mile ride over to Wales this week but looks like the bike will be in the shop longer than that.

One think I have noticed and that is I awoke this morning with that lovely tuned up feeling, I felt my entire body had had a workout...NOT because of the accident which did NOTHING to hurt me but because I am using just more than my legs. My overall average is still lousy 12mph over 92 miles but that will improve.

Wonderful bike.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
continue light pedalling

is highly recommended.

The body learns the bike for a particular cadence and particular effort. Therefore, once you have smoothness, vary power and cadence gradually. A sudden change to coasting and you may be in territory you are not yet acquanted with.