noob's initial observations of silvio 1.5

bubbabent

Hey guys, recently got a Silvio 1.5 that needed assembly and a good deal of cleaning and some parts.
Robert gave me some help and just got my Ventisit, derailleur hangar, spring and screws, thanks!
I still have a few mods to do, but was able to take it out the other day for a ride (with brakes and gears).
When I returned, I took my 2007 Bacchetta Corsa (650c) out on the same route. I felt faster on the Silvio and also felt that it climbed better on the 5-6% rises in my neighborhood. My hands also felt idle on the Corsa as if I should be feeling some resistance. I had to order another shifter cable for the front D as I cut it too short and needed to drop the boom a bit for knee clearance. I also noticed that my right knee comes pretty close to rubbing against the front brake cable adjuster wheel and touch it at times? anyone else do this. Decided to go with a rear rack and bag and had to return the Topeak Explorer because it wouldn't fit, but have another coming that will. May post an image later for feedback on the looks and setup.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
recently got a Silvio 1.5
Did it come with the shock pump for the front shock?

I also noticed that my right knee comes pretty close to rubbing against the front brake cable adjuster wheel and touch it at times? anyone else do this.
Yes, I have this with my Silvio 1.5 as well, usually when I'm just starting out on a ride. Once I'm up to speed, I rarely notice it.

May post an image later for feedback on the looks and setup.
Please do. We like photos around here. :)

bubbabent

I did not get the shock pump, but have a Topeak valve extender that you can use with regular pump. I think it worked for getting it around 150 or 160 psi.

bubbabent

The Topeak valve extender I mentioned is actually a "Pressure Rite" Schrader valve adapter so I might be okay, seems to work similarly. I got to take it out again last night doing figure 8s and using palms of the hands. I went no hands for the first time, but only about 30 feet or so..not on Bacchetta. I should get front derailleur cable today which will give several more gearing options. I was using FD plastic spacer block and able to use middle 5 gears on RD to practice. Attached Ventisit but the default Velcro position that came on the pad was actually over the cut out on the seat pan and grips the edges of the cut out (if that makes sense). Anyone have some mounting ideas better than this or drilling a few holes and weaving lock-tight straps into the Ventisit and attaching to seat pan looped through the holes? need to figure out how to post a picture without linking to a URL or dropping down below 6 megapixels to upload file.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Does the seat pan of your Silvio 1.5 have pre-drilled holes in it for bottle cages and stuff?
Is your Ventisit pad an open weave through and through?
If so, I'd try lashing the Ventisit to the seat pan with boot laces.
I like boot laces.
Boot laces are long, strong, don't stretch much, the aglets (plastic end-thingies) make life easy, and they are cheap.

I have a Silvio 1.5 - I had a rack on the back of it with a trunk bag for years. Worked great and had lots of storage, but recently I took it off and added an extra water bottle mount near the top/center of the seat. Now I use water bottles mounted to the seat and I put all my stuff (OK just the essentials) in a tennis ball can in the "extra" water bottle holder. It's about 3 pounds lighter this way, looks better, and more aero. :)

Here's a photo:

SilvioBack.jpg

bubbabent

Looks like a good solution John, for now I am going to try the rack and bag setup for a while. I always haul a bunch of stuff including 2 tubes , tools, first aid bag, mini pump, and sometimes food. Looks like I have another delay as my Ultegra Front Derailleur has a stripped out cable attaching bolt and my rear wheel has an incomplete weld from Mavic that was covered by one of their stickers that I removed. I don't like that a bit and I am going to have a good welder look at it so I don't have to get new wheels now. I ordered a 105 triple (braze on) FD that has the right span for my 50-36?-30 105 triple crank. I will get this thing going eventually.

bubbabent

Everything is better than expected, the rear wheel was sort of an optical illusion with the Mavic SUP weld process that and some old adhesive stick in the joint made it look bad. I also found a slightly longer bolt for the Ultegra FD and managed to get it working. Rode 15 miles on my Corsa today and it took me a couple of minutes to figure it out again.

Looks like a good solution John, for now I am going to try the rack and bag setup for a while
Yeah it's definitely nice having a lot of storage. It was tough to pare down to the essentials after having lots of storage for so long. I started with a 3-tennis ball can. Had to go up to a 4! haha.

bubbabent

Tried another rack and it wouldn't fit without some mod's, but the wife wants it for her bike. I just ordered the Sling Pack and should be able to make it work with what I carry I hope.
Went for my usual 15-18 mile lunch ride, but on the Silvio for the first time. I enjoyed it and learned a lot about the bike. I got recumbent butt and that was my only complaint. A guy actually complimented my bike and said that it was a beautiful design. I also noticed that the hills seemed easier than usual and that if the gear was too easy the handlebars wiggled, if it was right, I could hold a straight line.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Tried another rack and it wouldn't fit without some mod's, but the wife wants it for her bike. I just ordered the Sling Pack and should be able to make it work with what I carry I hope.
Went for my usual 15-18 mile lunch ride, but on the Silvio for the first time. I enjoyed it and learned a lot about the bike. I got recumbent butt and that was my only complaint. A guy actually complimented my bike and said that it was a beautiful design. I also noticed that the hills seemed easier than usual and that if the gear was too easy the handlebars wiggled, if it was right, I could hold a straight line.
P1090476.JPG P1090476.JPG close up Arkel rack connection .jpg

A Randonneur rack design to fit the DF seat rails and seat posts fit a Silvio V1.0 and V1.5 easier

bubbabent

Tried to get a low res picture of my bike on the back of my car Swageman (XC?) standard 2 bike carrier and my new bag. I put the sling pack under the seat on one end and looped it through a water bottle carrier on one side (aluminum Ibera brand recommended) and gets it out of the way of the rear wheel. This junk pile in a box has been given a makeover!20160718_064822.jpg

bubbabent

Also noticed that the front derailleur bracket/mast with the Ultegra FD-6700 is bolted at the lowest position possible on the mast and is still gives the FD more clearance than the 1-3 mm recommended settings. Looks like 6-10 mm or more without measuring, is that normal? Have Blitzu cheap and bright rear and headlights.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Silvio  side view.JPG

You could move your bag to the slider boom, so less aero resistance. Being above the front axle side winds do not effect the steering.

The extra gap of the front derailleur should not effect gear changing!
How are your gear changes?

bubbabent

I didn't consider slider/boom mounting and may give it a try, shifting is decent and any fault is my own..may need to tension cable more as the only issue has been a little extra effort to get in the big ring and only in the last four gears on the right. looks like you have rotor q rings on yours, have them on my Corsa.