Now for build components...

gannet

So, I've had my test ride, and I want a Silvio. Now I need to work out what bits. ( well, and save a little).
Likely two options are a Rohloff - if this can be done on a Silvio ?? or otherwise a triple chainring job - and that sounds like Campag.

My thinking:
Starting off - particularly uphill, is a bit harder on a bent, I gather?
Given that you cant 'stand up' on the pedals, as you can with a DF, particularly if you are in too high a gear, the ability to change down when stationary would be a big advantage.
I'm thinking with a cruzbike, this would also mean less complexity and weight up high and forwards, which couldn't hurt.
OTHERWISE - if not hub gears then: 'Use just what you'd have on your 'normal' road bike', I hear?
My road bike is 1978 vintage, touring rather than racing frame, so perhaps not a perfect basis for comparison, but:
I have triple chainrings, and I do use the smallest ring on some killer hills on the way to work. And 'bents' are not so good at hill climbing anyway??

Crank length.
I'm 6'2", and longer legs need longer cranks usually? I have 175mm on my other bikes, but people tend to go shorter on Cruzbikes - 170, or even 165 ? Although Maria used 175 on her record run, yellow bike, so... ??

Pedals - Still thinking about these. I'd want cleats that are not too strong. Something
to hold your feet up, not so much clamp them on strongly. Something that will release when you pull your feet 'back' towards the ground, as I think will happen a bit when learning the new bike.

Oh, and an MBB is a .... ??
Thanks,
Steve w

Gromit

Guru
MBB = Moving Bottom Bracket :)

Rohloff?
The Silvio's has a 130mm dropout width. The standard for road bike frames.
The Rohloff is 135mm wide. The standard for mountain bike frames. :cry:

gannet

so that is two questions conclusively answered, thanks Gromit !

As for pedals, the brains trust where I work has suggested Shimano multi-directional release cleats, that work with standard SPD pedals and shoes - and seeing I have those, it looks a safe and cheap option to start with.

gannet

Well, it's taken a while, but I have an Ultegra triple set on order, 170mm cranks as advised, 11- 28 cassette.

Campy wheels - two way fit ( an expensive way to experiment with tubeless - I may end up regretting it :shock: ) Um - Hutchinson tubeless tyres, speedplay frog pedals - curiously, they are MTB pedal, but also said to be good for bents - I'm curious as to why this is.... but so long as they work. May end up with these on an MTB and go for speedplay zeros ( again, may be an expensive experiment ).

Umm yeah, and the Silvio kit via Melbourne.

bits might start arriving this week, so the fun can begin :D

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
gannet wrote: Well, it's taken a while, but I have an Ultegra triple set on order, 170mm cranks as advised, 11- 28 cassette.

Campy wheels - two way fit ( an expensive way to experiment with tubeless - I may end up regretting it :shock: ) Um - Hutchinson tubeless tyres, speedplay frog pedals - curiously, they are MTB pedal, but also said to be good for bents - I'm curious as to why this is.... but so long as they work. May end up with these on an MTB and go for speedplay zeros ( again, may be an expensive experiment ).

Umm yeah, and the Silvio kit via Melbourne.

bits might start arriving this week, so the fun can begin :D

Campy wheels with Ultegra triple. I assume you know you'll need Shimano spacers to make it shift right?

Speedplay road pedals did not work for me. I felt as though I was ice skating every time I put my foot down at a stop. YMMV.

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
We have speedplay frogs on all of our recumbents. No slipping issues using the Shimano sandal. However, as Mark states the road pedals can be slippery on pavement. When I gave up riding an upright, gave away my zeros to my brother who is a fanatic roadie.

gannet

Mark B wrote:

Campy wheels with Ultegra triple. I assume you know you'll need Shimano spacers to make it shift right?

Speedplay road pedals did not work for me. I felt as though I was ice skating every time I put my foot down at a stop. YMMV.

Mark

That would be some of the many things I need to learn!! - they do have the shimano hub, but what other little details there are.... I hope I work it all out before I damage something !!!
A bit silly, perhaps, but I wanted something Campy ... ( unfinished business from when I was younger and couldn't afford it, perhaps). Of course, it is not at all important that they look cool and should match the Silvio nicely :cool:

I have a few MTB shoes and will be using those with the frogs. I'm confident they'll work out well.

I have a few serious cyclists where I work (they seem OK about me going 'bent')
One is a speedplay fanatic, so at least I've been able to see some zeros for real, rather than just looking at them on a website. So I'm a bit tempted to try them, but no rush.

If I am reading your post correctly, you have Campy rims attached to shimano hubs. If that is the situation, then you are in good shape to build the rear wheel with the Shimano cassette cogs and spacers.
The modern shifting systems all work wonderful (compared to 1970's etc), but need to be all the same company at least---sometimes they must be the same group. And in the case of the old 8 speed Dura-Ace, which I use on my DF, some have to be the same year!
Shifters that match your derailleurs will give you the fewest difficulties and that will allow you to focus on learning to ride your Silvio.

I made my first Silvio ride a short 10mile ride with regular pedals and put the SPD pedal on immediately afterwards. I found that starting from a standing stop was easiest for me to push -then pull back, all with the same leg, to have to smoothest and straightest take--off. Being clipped in always seems more in control for me and un-clipping at a stop is instinctive now, after years of cleated pedals on the DF bikes --and recumbents are no different.
The only difference from a DF, is the traction of your shoe when you put your foot down to steady yourself at a stop. When reclined on a recumbent, I feel like my foot is inclined to slide away from the bike and that would result in the embarassing- "falling over while sitting still". I wear a touring shoe with a conservative lug pattern on the sole that has the recess for the SPD cleats.

Good Luck & Keep asking Questions.
Larry

gannet

Doc Reyman wrote: If I am reading your post correctly, you have Campy rims attached to shimano hubs.

Good Luck & Keep asking Questions.
Larry

The wheels are these http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=13324;page=1;menu=1000,4,123,30;mid=1;pgc=0
obviously chose the shimano option.
I'm a little concerned that they may be a bit light, but Dr Jim says I'm 'light by American standards' at 185lbs, and the suspension on the Silvios is supposed to look after the rims. Can only wait and see.
I did want something campy, and wonder if I should have tried a bit harder in sorting a triple kit. I wasn't too keen on the thumb lever on the Campys, but later noticed a flat bar Ergopower brifter
http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126177662&TID=367
that would probably work well - you never need to ride on the 'hoods' on a bent (?!) But it needs a QS FD, and I cant find a 3x10 or even 3x9 QS - just the comp triple (maybe I didn't look hard enough).

Still, groupo has arrived - it was handy to pick them up on the way to work - and do a bit of show and tell - and someone says they have all the new shimano tools needed.

I will probably fit some old platform pedal for a few days - and I will sure keep asking questions !!- thanks!

I've got the Campy Centaur groupset Cruzbike offered when I bought my Silvio. I also went with the Xerolite wheels. Although I was initially concerned about lightweight wheels & poor Idaho roads, I've had no problems with the wheels even though I'm 205# (& also 6' 2"). The air adjustable front shock has been reliable for me & once I got it tuned to my liking, it works well. The rear damping on the other hand is less than optimal on chipseal -- I wish it too was adjustable. (The Quest spring rate is much nicer on chipseal.)

I've found the Campy 3x10 drivetrain to be finicky, requiring cassette shifter adjustment twice a week or so to minimize noise -- this even after 1000 miles. [Is this a 10-speed cassette or Campy flaw?] However, the brifters work well. I've had no problems with the shifter springs as I've seen reported elsewhere. The rest of the Campy components work as intended with no problems, although if you are looking for production quality up there with your late 70's memories of Nuevo Record components, you'll be disappointed. There is visible casting flash that hasn't been polished out in a few areas on several components.

Unfortunately, the lowest cassette cog available for my Campy setup is 28 (I'm currently riding a 25) with a 30/42/53 front & 170 cranks. My lowest gain ratio is 2.37. Swapping to the 28 would give me 2.12. On the other hand, Shimano offers a 34, yielding 1.74 -- a much nicer low. My next "improvement" will be testing a Jtek Shiftmate & some Shimano levers.

I forgot to mention the pedal concerns you brought up earlier. I've had good results with my cane creek eggbeaters & dearly love riding them. However, after an ACL repair last fall, I can't ride clipped in for a year. My solution was to swap in some nice platform pedals with toe clips, but no straps. That way I can pull my feet out without any twisting. Althoiugh you can't pull 360°, you can push 180°. They work very well on the commute, since I can wear my normal shoes & even on nastier roughly patched areas, pushing forward on the pedals keeps your feet firmly in place..

fthills

Hi Gannet,

I have some Campy flat bar shifters and I do not recommend them. Mine are clunky and dont always shift reliably.
On my set there is a problem with the way the nipples of the shifting cables sit in their sockets . Campy cables were supplied and used. I would look to the more experienced flat bar shifter manufacturers . And use Jtek shifmates to pair up with the remaining Campy running gear. Shiftmates work nicely

gannet

thanks for the replies - I've probably had too much time to think of 'maybes', but tonight there was a big cardboard box by the front door - and some parcels to collect at the post office tomorrow - (dare I hope wheelset?). And I'm not going to work tomorrow :)
So - enough thinking and internet surfing, time to get with the spanners :D.
And ( whenever) start a new thread on the build brag board.