numbness in tip of middle finger on right hand

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
No - this is not a joke.
Now - for the last week, I have noticed numbness in the tip of my middle finger of my right hand.
Very mild, but it lingers almost the entire day
No jokes about road rage, or using it (middle finger) too much at idiot drivers. I don't do that - thank-you very much. (I mostly just yell loud at them (but am thinking of getting a semi horn to blow).. i digress ..)
I have not really changed anything that I have been doing over the last 6 weeks or so that I can think ok, so I can't quite figure out what it can be from. It does not appear to be worse if I ride 6 hours or better if I only ride 1. I have been spending 90% if my time on the KICKR.
Has anyone out there experienced something similar?
Thanks in advance!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
RPSI

Repetitive Strain injury comes from changing your account alias back and forth rapidly.

Ok sorry couldn't stop myself....

Sounds like a pinched nerve Outdoors you where gloves; on the kicker probably not?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Riding Outdoors?

Were you riding outdoors recently in very cold conditions?

This could be a long shot, but several years back I was riding from my house to the bus stop in -23 F conditions. During a ride of about 2 miles, my fingers became painfully numb. After I was out of the cold and began to warm up, it felt as if my fingers were being smashed with a sledge hammer - the kind of pain that makes a person nauseous. I ended up losing all feeling in two of my fingers for about three weeks.

It could also be a nerve injury. Even the pressure from cables run under the handlebar tape can create a pressure point on a nerve that can cause issues like you're experiencing.

Or Bob might be onto something about changing your alias too frequently. ;-)

LarryOz

You guys are a riot!
I think

You guys are a riot!
I think I'll just make a weekly alias change just for the heck of it now! :)

No - no really cold weather riding lately. But good though. The feeling is more like when you run a weedeater for about 2-3 hours, not super severe, but noticable.

Bob might be onto something, but I have been riding the KICKR indoors now for at least 5 6 weeks, and it just started affecting me a week ago..
But, as crazy as it might seem, I did an awful lot of work with a foam paint brush staining and putting 4 coats of poly on that roller platform, plus sanding in between coats - that might be it. I usually get some pretty bad numbing effects when operating a paintbrush for an extended period. If that is that case, then I guess I should wear my cycling gloves when wielding a paint brush!.

ratz

ManFromOz

ManFromOz sounds like a great handle; ignore the man behind the vendetta; old guys with mysterious powers and all that.

Jeremy S

Dude
Hi Larry, I used to get a

Hi Larry, I used to get a "numb thumb" on my Sofrider on ~20 mile rides. It was not cold out, nothing was obviously pinched, and there was no pain, just a numb spot near the tip of my thumb that took several hours to go away. Eventually I lowered my handlebars (and also moved them closer) and it stopped happening. I haven't had any occurrences of this on my Silvio.

BentAero

Great and Powerful

Great and Powerful Oz:

Definitely a pinched nerve. Stop painting immediately.

I get that same pinched nerve, along with fever, vomiting, hives, & blurred vision if I pick up a paint brush, rake, shovel, broom, vacuum, or attempt to wash dishes. I've learned to just avoid these things.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Good info, don't forget

Good info, don't forget mowing the lawn too, and when the Mother-in-law visits. Oops, did i say that
embarrassed_smile.gif
!

LarryOz

I rode with gloves today Bob

I rode with gloves today Bob - still go the numb finger.
I guess I just need to see if it calms down any since now painting any longer.
I may pay the Chiropracter a visit, but I really hate to go there much, which is what they seem to want to you to do.
I go to this one guy that uses an activator, instead of twisting and popping and yanking on my neck.
I think that is much better.
Yeah - mother-in-laws, in-laws, or even mothers came really pinch those nerves too.
(sorry mom, if you ever read this. You know I luv ya anyway, even if you pinch my nerve sometimes!)

ratz

For something like that you

For something like that you are probably better off seeing either and Osteopath or a Physical Therapist. I have far better luck with them when my Arthritis becomes unmanageable. I would start with an Osteopath look for one with a medical degree they can put (DO) after their name like a the (MD) your general practitioner can. Call your family doctor they can likely refer you to one in your same health plan.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Larry
Try this cure and let

Larry

Try this cure and let me know if it works.

Step 1. To help with this workout it's best to stand facing a mirror.

Step 2. While standing facing mirror extend arm towards mirror.

Step 4. Rotate hand so fingers are open with palm up.

Step 3. If you don't have a smile on your face, get one now.

Step 4. Close all fingers except for the one with the problem.

Step 4. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyway, sounds like a never may be getting pinched. Could be originating in wrist or shoulder. Next time you ride the Kickr, try just hanging that arm of the handlebar to your side, and let the shoulder become relaxed and dropped.

I hear you about the Chiropractors. I've been to many believe me. And yes it's like you said, some just want you to keep coming back and not getting to the core of the problem. However, not all are like that...it's just hard to find a good one. I've been trying to find a doctor that specializes in sports injuries...looks like I'm going to have to travel out of our area to find one.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Larry, I've had mild carpal

Larry, I've had mild carpal tunnel with both hands for years now but along with my social finger I would also get that feeling in my thumb and forefinger. I also started having problems with trigger finger with my social finger on both hands. My 24 hour Bike Sebring in February caused it to flare up where those three digits in both hands went almost totally numb, I think exacerbated by the cold temps over night where it got down to about 41F or so.

My hands stayed numb with only a small improvement until I went in to see my orthopedic hand surgeon and got shots in both wrists on Mar 6. They finally felt normal about 2 weeks after that. About 6 months after the shots they started bothering me again and they've gotten worse - so I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand about 5 days ago. I'll do the left once I feel comfortable with the recovery of my right hand.

So far I'm extremely pleased with the results although I'm still in a partial cast/wrap until Thursday.

In my case I also went and had some tests done to determine if it was indeed carpal tunnel or something else. The testing was quite interesting but involved getting zapped and poked with some electrical leads and some poking with a needle in the fleshy part of my thumb.

This all started off very slowly with just small indications and gradually got worse over the years. My sail boat racing years of working foredeck on a small 24 foot racing sloop working sheets and spinnakers and head sails and clinging on for dear life most of the time seemed to be what started it going. That and building a geodesic treedome (treehouse dome). Basically stuff where I was doing a lot of heavy gripping and twisting. My forearms would sometimes get really achy.

I do all kinds of computer related technical stuff for work and am on a keyboard a lot but that has never really bothered me.

-Eric

LarryOz

Rick - you are riot - I hope

Rick - you are riot - I hope we can meet up some day in person
Goes for you too Eric! (Hey get with the program (avatar/handle) program I mean) - If you don't someone will for you! haha :)

Thanks for the carpal tunnel description.
I have often though I had it. My mom had to have both hands done - and it worked out great for her.
I am programmer/IT person and have keyboarded now for almost 40 years. I do not seem to be bothered too much by that.
But I have also done a lot of "heavy lift and gripping" kind of jobs too.
I have remodeled many a house, worked on a ran a roofing crew for years, plus just basically rebuilt all the houses we have ever lived in. That is when it really flares up. Giving up the hammer for a air-gun was heaven, no pounding, but eventually the air-gun gets pretty heavy too.
I am going to try to systematically try and change things each day and really pay attention to the symptoms!
Take care

Tohopko

Late to the discussion

Larry, still having bouts of numbness? Is the finger tip pale and waxy, like it got too cold? If so, look up information on Raynaud's Syndrome. I have a pretty good case of it in my right hand (middle finger and thumb), but can usually avoid it if I wear good warm gloves and avoid grabbing cold objects in the palm of my hand. Raynaud's is usually nerve damage or irritation to a digital nerve in the palm of your hand--but can be a sign of arterial blockage issues (particularly in men over 50). One of these days I need to get mine checked for the actual cause.

Of course, it could also be a nerve issue. Bad cervical discs sometimes cause numbness or tingling in the extremities. At their worst, mine caused my thumb, index finger, and middle finger on my left hand to go into numb/tingling cycles for months. Luckily, PT and dealing with other shoulder issues relieved most of the problem.