NuVinci cogs

bret

This is a question. NuVinci hubs have a single cog, and the only reference I've found so far suggests the cog is sized to use 3/32 chain.

I'll be taking a wheel-building course later this month, and building with a NuVinci N380 hub (559 rim).

I'm talking with a fellow who is enthusiastic about Molten Speedwax, so much so he has a business supplying it and chains here in Oz: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/products-services/

If you look at his site, he sells a range of chains, all oriented towards performance, and he says only the 10, 11, 12 chains achieve very good quality.

The NuVinci specs on-line seem to say they are 9-spline - which I think means standard cassette? I'm wondering about using a 10 speed cog, and spacers, instead of the stock NuVinci cog. My Quest v1 currently has a single elliptic chainring, and I'm also thinking of replacing that with a Metropolis later on.

Any ideas about the possibility, about what to look for?

Thanks in advance,
Bret

DavidJL

If building a NuVinci wheel, be sure to follow instructions and use 2-cross rather than 3-cross spoking, as the hub is fairly large. On the QX100 and T50, the chainstay length changes with boom adjustment, so a tensioner or eccentric bottom bracket is needed. Standard single-speed sprockets work, and it looks like one could use a cassette cog, as there is a wider gap between two of the splines. Wouldn't a tensioner be mandatory with an elliptical chainring though?