ODRAM Cyclist Murderer Facing Trial in Michigan

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
This is, unfortunately, a very sad and unbelievable posting. The ODRAM (One Day Ride Across Michigan) this year suffered from the murder of a 50-year-old cyclist and nurse named Susan Cummings by a 26-year-old redneck in a pickup truck named Ronnie Jo Claflin. Ronnie Jo drove over Susan from behind, using his pickup truck as a weapon, and killed her during the cycling event, leaving witnesses, parts of his vehicle, and a dead cyclist at the scene of the crime. And yes, he fled the scene, which is a felony punishable by up to 15 years in state prison. Ronnie Jo paid $15,000 in cash to a bail bondsman and is out on bail. But Ronnie Jo is headed for trial. All of us who participated in this excellent cycling event are hoping Ronnie Jo will be permanently removed from society to prevent him from ever exercising his poor judgement in public again and to protect society from a serious menace. We all know that it could have been any one of us targeted by this murderer. The rest of us are just plain lucky we're still alive. If Ronnie Jo's intent was to teach cyclists a lesson, then he succeeded - but it was not the lesson he intended. The lesson we learned is that Ronnie Jo and others like him cannot be trusted to be free and productive citizens. This type of behavior must not be tolerated. The next time you see a pickup truck coming up in your mirrors, remember Ronnie Jo Claflin, cyclist murderer.

Here's the link to the story: http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/...run_death_case_of_woma.html#incart_river_home

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 7.08.17 PM.png
Cyclist Murderer Ronnie Jo Claflin

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
He's only charged with fleeing the scene, and not with some sort of vehicular manslaughter charge also? That is hard to fathom if that's the case. I hope a manslaughter charge can be successfully prosecuted as well.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
He's only charged with fleeing the scene, and not with some sort of vehicular manslaughter charge also? That is hard to fathom if that's the case. I hope a manslaughter charge can be successfully prosecuted as well.
This case has been highly secretive from the beginning. But it is being watched closely by many cyclists.

Here are some excerpts from other articles:

Excerpt:
Officers who responded to the scene said Cummings was dragged down the road for “quite some ways.” She did not survive.

Excerpt:
Deputies say that Cummings was struck from behind and was dragged down the road for “quite some ways.” The group had about 100 people riding.

Excerpt:
"She [Cumming's friend Nancy] told us that the truck swerved around her and hit my sister from behind," said Rea.

Excerpt:
Vehicle parts collected at the scene of the crash haven’t been much help in identifying the vehicle or driver. “The parts are mainly some trim work, so they’re not a real easy thing to trace,” Roesler said.

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Thank you all. I hope that I will be able to ride in traffic. I have ordered second mirror for my V and I will add some reflectors to frame and wheels.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My condolences to you and you family!!!

I hope the driver is imprisoned for a long time, but it will not bring your mother back, only possibly create more driver awareness.