Okay, I'm hooked and the planning has started

BadKarma

Andrew got me hooked on the brag board, so I moved over here to pick some brains and ask some more techie questions.

I had started a build on a 2003 Lemond Nevada City and parts are on the way.

2012 SRAM Apex 2x10 Compact Road Crankset & GXP BB - 175mm 50/34 will be here tomarrow. (that's an English BB)
Matching Front Derailleur is on the way also w/ clamp ring.
I'm planning on SRAM 1050 11-32 10spd cassette. This will give me a nice range of gears without having to go with a triple.

Can these work on a next MTB donar bike?

I want to stick with roadie parts because centuries and some touring are ultimate goals and I know more about them than MTB parts. And I'm planning on 26" wheels because I'm not the lightest guy around and a loaded bike on tour can be a bit heavy too.

Okay, the search for a donar begins. Anyone suggest likely victims?

BadKarma

Well, well, well. Lightening

Well, well, well. Lightening has struck. I just scored on the donor.

cruzbikedonor.jpg

It's an hour drive but the price is sweet.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Not a bad looking bike.

The top tube is lower than the top of the head tube and appears to be straight and relatively level. I am curious as to what the seat height is, however.

BadKarma

Yep, total bomb. The top of

Yep, total bomb. The top of the top tube to the ground is 27"!!!!! WAY too high.

Ended up being a 26" mens bike. NOT a boys bike.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Keep looking for a Tiara...

...my local Wal*Mart has 2 in stock and they do show up on Craig's now and then. As I am working with my conversion, I can't help but think that the V2K frameset is a better option though. I am more about doing just a custom paint job and not so much into fabrication and making things fit. If I could score one of those, I'd do it.

BadKarma

This is a quote from David on

This is a quote from David on seat hight:

You'll want your seat height about 3 inches shorter than your inseam - measure the top tube height about half-way down it's length and add 1.0 inches, and you'll get a fair estimation of seat pan height

If true, this donor can work. My inseam is 32" 27+1= 28 32-28=4

I'll keep looking for Tiaras and any others that might show themselves, but I hope David pipes up with an opinion.

May start looking at HardTails too. Tons of those bikes here.

BadKarma

This is what I

This is what I get:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXT-TiaraPro-24-Girls-Bike/14711878

and this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Womens-Tiara-All-Terrain-Bike/5412095?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Wal*Mart has phased out the

Wal*Mart has phased out the Tiara, but there are a few still lingering in stores. I'll keep an eye out for a used one; shipping would be cheap as you need only the frame, swingarm and seatpost. The rest (aside from the Shimano Revo Shifters) is boat anchor material.

BadKarma

Thanks. I'm gonna try

Thanks. I'm gonna try Springfield Saturday. Theres about 5 or 6 Wally's up there. I might get lucky.

But the hardtails are looking pretty tasty too.

BadKarma

Update:
I found 3 Tiaras on

Update:

I found 3 Tiaras on CL, but 2 are already gone and the third is 200 miles away and no replies to text or emails.

So I think if nothing pops up I'm gonna go ahead with the MTB above as a learning tool. If nothing else I'll learn while still getting a nice rails-to-trails bike and be seasoned when the roadie donor appears.

I have the crankset and FD at the house and the cassette is on the way. Ordering the conversion kit soon.