One heck of a ride

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Today's Ride was to ride as hard as I could for as long as I could.

When one tries some new experience, like riding the Vendetta flat out, the general sensation is one of fear. But if you can stay in the fear for long enough you either die of fright or get the wonderful feeling of elation.

The relationship with the Vendetta TT build is just that. It's just so insanely fast. Cycling for me is a social sport, I love riding with friends. The Vendetta is like a rearing Colt... and it roars off leaving everyone for dead. My friends have mountain bikes. So whenever I go out with them they have a taste of the road and I have the frustration of not unleashing the Power.

Today was different. My riding companion blew me out so I thought that I would choose a good challenging route using the Runtastic Road Bike Pro app that would take me on a 50km loop; up some 150m and then down to sea level.

The gearing of the Vendetta is not a comfortable setup for going up steep hills, but the speed downhill and on the flat is something else. It is such a beautiful aerodynamic shape that comes into its own at speed. When travelling above 30kph the helmet is lifting so perhaps something can be done, like a new helmet.
(If anyone can suggest a helmet of their choice, it would help?)

On the left crank arm, there is a magnet for the Runtastic Bluetooth cadence/speed sensor that is attached to the front wheel support. It helps but irritatingly it didn't seem to give me accurate stats today. I guess when I last cleaned it, the sensor got knocked or it needs recalibrating. It usually works very well.
IMG_8366.JPG

On the front, there is a 44t/54t Q-Ring setup. The gear set that is being used is the Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed. It works fine, if you buy the Shimano 11 spd wheelset to go with the frame.

At the back, there is a one litre hydration bag, which is filled up with isotonic drink solution 50/50. The neck support I wrapped with handlebar tape; it's not a bad first attempt but still think it could be better done.

So what do I like best about the ride? It's just such a unique ride, nothing quite like it, very exhilarating.

What can be done to better the ride? I ordered a Ventisit seat pad from Ventisit, there are two different types so I ordered the comfort. It arrived today so the next picture will be with the seat pad too. In Spain it gets red hot in the summer and today it got red hot for a different reason. The bike is the ultimate work out, it's designed to be ridden. The upper body work out going up 150M is quite an exercise. So the back got rather hot and damp. I am in the throes of selling the old Cruzbike conversion kit, when it sells, the reward will be some road shoes. I wear some old Shimano SHM-038; they are heavy shoes and not well vented but great for the mountain bike.

IMG_8370.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
David, great report!

David, great report! Fantastic picture too!

Yeah I would say, your gearing is steep, really big gears. I bet they are great for flat and especially fast down hills. You will like the Ventisit seat pad.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
David,
Love it.
I had the

David,
Love it.
I had the pleasure of visiting Madrid several times more than twenty years ago (also got to see Barcelona once in 2000) and your picture reminded me of the gritty, warm, smell of the air, lots of memories.

So...thanks for that! :)

Nice build, nice ride, great report.

Itripper

Good Helmet

The Gyro Reverb works well with the headrest, it has an elastic back band rather than knob. The helmet sits just right and does not interfere with resting neck/lower head on headrest. It has less airflow than many helmets, not as good choice for very hot climates, but works very well at high speeds on the Vendetta.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/GIRO-REVERB-Bike-Helmet/product.jsp?productId=13263422

DavidCH

Updates

The Ventisit seat pad is fabulous, so is the shimano ultegra 11/32t cassette that was fitted two weeks ago. The huge chainwheels are not so large after all. LOL!

Because i only have 11t difference with the gears on the chainwheel i am able to use the short gate on the rear derailleur (the SS) but I had to add two extra links to the chain. I put another two links in my bag with a chain link tool, just for emergencies.

The 11/32t cassette allows me to spin much more easily and even the hard climbs are ok.

I also am changing the positioning of my hands when cycling so no more white knuckles, i noticed that riding this recumbent gives a much better work out than an ordinary bike. Abdomen, cardio. I even fitted into a shirt that i have never been able to wear yesterday.

The helmet issues went away. I did some DIY on an old lid. Haaa Juani now has my helmet and I have taken hers. Hers was lighter than mine anyway. I took the adjuster off the back and glued it to my head size. I took some of the spongy velcro off inside and now have a helmet that is light and airy. I also took off the visor so now there is no drag at all. I have beaten my personal best time but still haven't been able to spin out using that 54t Q Ring.

Thanks and in total Gratitude

DavidCH

IMG_8611.jpg

Such is the desire to go fast that the handlebars have been moved further forward and down. The bike feels quite different than an easy rider position that I had. The new position is definitely more aero. I am going to have to change the tyres. I have found quite a number of loose things on the bike and its all down to vibration. At 30 mph its shake rattle and roll when you hit a rough patch. With the 700c rims I have, I would like to use 28mm tires, I have 30 mm clearance between the edge of the rim to the frame (both front and rear). Has anyone got any ideas of what tires would be best for rough dry roads? (Hey I love the new forum software... I haven't cursed once)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm running 700x25c with a 21mm wide rim tubeless at 95psi and that seems to soak up most things. Not as smooth as my Silvio but enough that I don't mind it. I think Rick or Robert mentioned running 28c. The new wider rims will get you get a bigger tire on. If the rim is 19mm wide then I suspect 25c will be the limit.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I will concur with ratz. A narrow rim really sets the limit at 25c otherwise the clearances are just way too tight (or not there at all)

Robert

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm running 24mm wide Spinergy Xaero Lite rims with a 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II in the rear and 25mm in front with Vittoria latex tubes at about 90 psi for rough roads.

It's not to bad on the worst road, but not as good as these Compass Chinook Pass 700C x 28 mm they are pricy but real smooth. I have several sets, but have never tried them with the latex tubes. Air pressure will make a lot of difference.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
24 inside or outside dimension?

Well, looking at the website and then taking an actual measurement of the outside rim on the brake faces, nether inside or outside.

The website says "24mm light semi-aero, machined brake surface, Clincher Only" which must NOT mean the rim width (I thought it did), because my measurement is 19.16mm outside brake face to brake face. can't find a width anywhere, but now know for sure it's not 24mm but 19mm.

So at this point, i can say the Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II and Compass Chinook Pass in 700C x 28 mm on 19mm wide rims will absolutely fit the rear of the Vendetta V2. And the Compass Chinook Pass in 700C x 28 mm on 19mm wide rims will work on both front and rear.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That's pretty darn good if you got those to fit. I bet it's about the tire and not the rim. I would also guess that 24mm in that case would be the vertical height of the rim from top of brake track to spoke flange. This stuff gets so confusing. The new fad is wide internal width with 19mm being replace with 21mm. The wider bead gives a wider tire profile making a 25c and 28c run like 23 and 25 respectively. So more deflection less rolling resistance and lower psi. All and all a more comfortable ride. Use to be the pros would ride 28c on the cobbles, now we are seeing them ride 25 and 28 on the smooth roads. Amazing what 2mm of width will buy you. Most new rims will state the inside with; 19mm is good 21mm is better (by the trends) and 17mm (the old standard) is almost non-exisitant on newly release models.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I bet it's about the tire and not the rim.
Yeah, I think you are correct. It's all going to depend on the tire make and model.

I seem to have a lot more clearance with the 28mm on the Vendetta than the Silvio. I had to grind a little off the front-under portion of the fork on the Silvio to get the the 28mm tire to fit with a nice clearance, where as the Vendetta needed no grinding.

My rims must be 17mm or less inside if outside is 19mm.