Original Sofrider bent chainring. Help!

Fergal Daly

I just bought a second hand 2010 Sofrider and after 50km, I'm really enjoying it but somehow I have a bent front chainring [1]. As far as I know, it's the original 44T with 152mm cranks but at this point, I'm already saying words that I just barely understand.

My local bike shop guys are happy to replace it for me but I have to find the replacement (combination of 44T 152mm and double-guard is out of their catalogues). Reading these forums, it seems the first thing I should do is try to bend it back into shape. I'll give that a go first but I'm not overly hopeful.

Looking around online, I can't see a chainring that looks like

https://goo.gl/photos/H5jSjDCrxim1torP6

Is it possible to replace just the chainring? Should I be looking to replace more than that?

I found what looks like an exact match with this

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclists-Choice-Ss6626-152Mm-Single/dp/B00TJB3RXI

Is that a good bet?

I'm not trying to add a second chainring (I'd consider it if doing so is straightforward but I live in Japan and communication with the bike shop is sometimes tricky, I don't want to push my luck).

Thanks.

1 - I don't know exactly what happened, I locked it to a fence, I went into a cafe, I came out about 20m later and it was bent and the guard was chipped. Best guess is that it fell over (it was a cable lock with plenty of slack) and was put upright again by someone. This doesn't quite make sense. It could also have been malicious but it's a busy street and that would be a rather odd thing to do in public in Tokyo.

1happyreader

zen/child method
A picture of your crank would make any answers more accurate.
Has the LBS (local bike shop) examined your bike's crank ?
I would GUESS you have a compact crank that has removable crank bolts and you can purchase a chainring and bashguard to replace your damaged equipment and keep your crank arms.

IF I am correct look for :
110 bcd 44t chainring (30 USD and up)(bcd is a size between the bolt holes)
110 bcd 44t bashguard (30 USD and up)
Labor @ your LBS.

If you do it yourself you will need to buy or borrow tools.
a crank arm puller
a wide screwdriver or chainring tool for the back of the bolts.

The Cyclists' Choice is inexpensive and probably NOT as good a quality as the crank that came on the cruzbike.

later,,,, bye

1happyreader

zen/child method
No , but it does give me time to suck on my toes before I remove my foot from my mouth.
Sorry .
later.... bye

Fergal Daly

Nicely fixed with just an adjustable wrench as demonstrated in

Got the itch to get myself a front derailleur and 2 rings at the front now but that's another story.