Our Three T50 Builds, and Maybe a Sofrider Retro-fit

NeaL

Guru
I just got word from FedEx that three packages from CruzBike have arrived, and will hopefully be waiting for me when I get home from work.

These should contain a black-on-black T50 frame set, a red & silver T50 frame set, and a whole bunch of accessories from the CruzBike website accessory page. We also have a blue & black T50 frame set on order, pending a February shipment.

So, I thought I'd mark the occasion by starting a new thread for charting their progress.

On one hand, I don't want the third child to feel left out, waiting for her bike to arrive while her siblings get started on theirs, but she might also learn from their mistakes or see other new opportunities as they progress on their two bikes.

While I'm getting parts for their three new bikes, I'll probably replace all of the drive train and shifters on my found-on-Craigslist Sofrider since it came with a bunch of mismatched, 2nd hand parts.

For now, the two frame sets are going to be hidden someplace until Christmas and the box of accessories opened, divided into three separate boxes to be gift wrapped, and put under the tree. So don't expect much in the way of any updates for the next 17 days, or so.

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It's an electric/acoustic, 5-string, size 16 viola, painted metallic blue, strung low-to-high CGDAE.

If it's strung from C to E, I'd call it both a violin and a viola. :D

Very cool! (My wife plays both violin and viola and the rest of us make noises on cello.)

NeaL

Guru
It's body is much bigger than a 4/4 violin. For most people who ask, they're content with just hearing that I call it a fiddle.
I've played a borrowed cello but that's the only member of that family of instruments I've never actually owned. I have a couple regular violins, a standard upright bass, and a 5-string upright, too.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Very nice cover conversation to disguise the topic of the conversation for this thread.

I wonder how many of us Cruzbike riders, regulars, wannabes, etc. are also musicians?

I play trumpet (2% professionally = I get paid for it and 98% amateur and volunteer = non-paid! ((Remembrance (Veterans) Day, various Lessons and Carols and Christmas Eve and several lent and Easter Sunday services and the rest is mostly volunteer at my church.)

nobrakes

Piano, Guitar, Bass and Keyboards. And I tinker on the low whistle but not very well.... Was signed to a record company for a couple of years but they went bust just as my debut album was coming out :( Mostly jazz funk but I started out on classical.

Now I play trad irish on the guitar occasionally, but my kids are going big style down the classical route.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Drums and percussion. Bang it, shake it, scrape it, that's me. I used to be in an Afro-Latin percussion group, all acoustic, no amps, all percussion. I also played in a gamelan. I played the drums on a jazz course. I play the snare drum in a sort-of marching-cum-New Orleans style band that play at demos in London. We are the Big Red Band.

One of the reasons I keep the Grasshopper is because it can carry the snare drum.

Robert O

I was once a very young pianist, then a low brass player (baritone, baritone bugle), and a guitarist. Although I'm badly rusty on all of the above.

NeaL

Guru
Getting back to the T50 builds...

The two black/black and red/silver frame sets arrived in time for Christmas, along with a bunch of add-ons, "Cruzbike" t-shirts & hats from the website's Accessories page. The 3rd frame set, a light-blue/black one, won't be arriving until hopefully sometime in February of this year.

I divided the accessories and grouped them into three boxes for the kids and gift-wrapped them.

Initially I was going to get three front & rear Cygolites for the kids but realized that, of all of the accessories these would be the only ones not bolted to the kids' bikes. The last thing I need is to have the three of them fighting over which light is whose, so I got only one of each light for me to try out and evaluate. I'll hook the kids up with their own lights later on as the time comes. Actually, I'll probably just get more of different brands & models for me to tinker with and loan them out to the kids on an as-needed basis for now.

Yesterday I stopped at the bike shop where I'll be sourcing my parts. Due to Lucia Parker's recommendation, I had them order me a 4-bike Saris 'Freedom' bike rack.
Funny thing, two of the guys working there were familiar with me and my odd bent for recumbent bikes but there was a 3rd guy working at the bike shop whom I hadn't met yet. He started to give me a sales pitch on a 4 bike Thule brand hitch rack they had in stock and I took one look at it and said, "This might be fine for diamond frame bikes, but I need one for four recumbents."
I don't think anyone had ever spoken to him in Recumbent before. He lost control of his English for a few seconds.
No worries, I'll get him caught up to speed.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Yes, I speak Recumbent. In a noticeable Cruzbikelandic dialect.

I know what you speak of. One rider was recently asking about my bike and in particular, if the front end moves with each pedal stroke. I began explaining to him the effect of pedal steer and how the upper body input counters. His eyes quickly glazed over.

NeaL

Guru
Breaking News!

Shocking development. In the course of my speaking Recumbent (Cruzbikelandic dialect), I seem to have picked up a robust Trike accent!

https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn....=59132769387bcb4064b2a4dcb07704b2&oe=5AB4ADF2

26240139_10215408260506843_706496174733966370_o.jpg

Greenspeed Magnum, I'm told that I'm now its 3rd owner.
Comes with...
1. SRAM dual drive DD3
2. Original rear wheel (complete) in case you wish to remove dual drive.
3. assist handles
4. front Fenders
5. Rear rack
6. Mirrors (both sides)
7. Head rest
8. Original seat mesh ( to change seat back to normal length)
9. two Water bottle holders.
10. TrikeTight stand
11. Three rings on the crank.

The guy I bought it from is 6'8" tall and it doesn't have a "chain gobbler" so I had to get it shortened.

Four Cruzbikes, now a Greenspeed, all in less than a year. These things are multiplying.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Breaking News!

Shocking development. In the course of my speaking Recumbent, I seem to have picked up a robust Trike accent!

https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn....=59132769387bcb4064b2a4dcb07704b2&oe=5AB4ADF2

26240139_10215408260506843_706496174733966370_o.jpg

Greenspeed Magnum, I'm told that I'm now its 3rd owner.
Comes with...
1. SRAM dual drive DD3
2. Original rear wheel (complete) in case you wish to remove dual drive.
3. assist handles
4. front Fenders
5. Rear rack
6. Mirrors (both sides)
7. Head rest
8. Original seat mesh ( to change seat back to normal length)
9. two Water bottle holders.
10. TrikeTight stand
11. Three rings on the crank.

The guy I bought it from is 6'8" tall and it didn't have a "chain gobbler" so I had to get it shortened.

Four Cruzbikes, now a Greenspeed, all in less than a year. These things are multiplying.

Great choose in a trike, that could climb a mountain with an effective 22T front chainring, AND without the increased chain tension using the SRAM Dual drive hub!!!