Outlaw Trail 100

Tom Roberts

Last Saturday (10/17) I rode my Sofrider V2 in the Outlaw Trail 100. The ride was northeast of Austin, TX through rolling hill farm country. I live in Irvine, CA so I had to ship the Sofrider to Austin. I had some issues getting the bike back together as the LBS in Irvine disassembled the bike further than it was when I received it from Cruzbke. I ended up taking it to a LBS in Austin for some assistance and everything turned out good. I am leaving the bike in Austin because I travel back and forth quite a bit, so I will use my Silvio in southern California and my Sofrider in central Texas.
This was only the second organized century I've done. (The first was on the Silvio.) For some reason I still like the Sofrider alot. Maybe because it was the one I learned to ride first. John, if you could build a Sofrider out of a lighter material and knock 10 or 15 lbs off I might buy another one. For one thing Iike the adjustable seat. I have it much more reclined than the Silvio.
To the ride: There were about 915 participants riding various distances. I was the only recumbent doing the century. The day was picture perfect. Not a cloud in the sky and about 68 degrees F. The landscape was beautiful. I actually ended up with 103.33 miles because I made a wrong turn and had to backtrack. My average speed was 15.7mph which I thought was pretty good for someone in the "masters" age group. I definitely want to do this ride again next year. Maybe there's another Cruzbiker who would like to do it as well. :)

Best to All,

Tom

Maria Parker

Administrator
Tom wrote: "For some reason I still like the Sofrider alot. Maybe because it was the one I learned to ride first."

Good ride Tom. We're glad you got the bike back together again. Jim and I were talking about why you enjoy the Sofrider so much. He was agreeing, saying the Sofrider is a rugged, comfortable bike. It has taken me some time, but I prefer my Silvio now. Perhaps because I have spent so many mile on it, it feels almost like an extension of my body. As John says, it wants to go fast. On the other hand, I can't carry anything on it - when I ride around town, I always jump on our Sofrider.