Painless in Flowood

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Painless in Flowood, Mississippi's first-ever recumbent rally, has drawn to a close, save for a handful of intrepid recumbenteers who are riding the Natchez Trace end to end this week, 444 miles from Natchez to Nashville.

Two-wheeled recumbents and tadpole trikes were well represented. There was plenty of variety among the two-wheelers: LWB, SWB, USS, OSS, high-racers, an Optima low-racer--and three Cruzbikers (ReklinedRider, Wannabe, and me)! A soon-to-be fourth Cruzbike owner (battleaxe0) was there also, with his wife, on their trikes. The tadpoles were mostly Greenspeed and Catrike, best I could tell. There were also three velomobiles, and at least one Hase Kettwiesel delta trike.

We had somewhere between 60 and 75 participants for the rides and discussions. Friday afternoon's first speaker was Janet Buckwalter, discussing touring for recumbents. About 50 riders went out afterward for a 15-mile loop of bike paths and bike lanes around Pelahatchie Bay, off the Ross Barnett Reservoir, enjoying the beautiful weather.

After the evening meal at the hotel, participants were treated to a presentation from Ian Sims on the design and evolution of Greenspeed's tadpole trikes.

Saturday morning featured two 7 a.m. rides leaving from the RideSouth shop--a rolling 30-mile multi-use trail out-and-back, or a metric century on the Natchez Trace--with the Ridgeland Natchez Trace Century as a third option. Most of the rally group chose one of the two RideSouth options, rather than mixing it up with the 600 DF riders.

The walkers and joggers on the trails near Flowood must surely be used to seeing a few recumbents; but not a parade of 25 of us, all bedecked with flashing front and rear lights! We cruised along, riding courteously and greeting the other trail users, and got many smiles and waves in return. (We passed two of my IT coworkers, who were doing their weekend long run. I'm sure they'll have plenty of questions for me on Monday morning. LOL.)

Box lunches were ready soon after we returned to the shop. We had plenty of time to relax and visit before the time trials at 3 p.m. I had taken my Silvio on both the rides, but had also brought the Q451 along for anyone who might want a test ride. Mrs. Axe came up to me, a bit hesitantly, to ask for a ride (apparently Mr. Axe's idea). So we walked the Q down to the end of the street, and started running through an abbreviated version of Ratz's learning checklist. After a couple of coastdowns with feet off the pedals, and one with feet on but not pedaling, Mrs. Axe wanted to try pedaling--and away she went! She even managed to circle the cul-de-sac without too much trouble.

Next, since battleaxe is getting his Silvio S30 soon, Wannabe and I twisted his arm (ha!) and got him to try the Q. Not quite as quick a learner as his Mrs. :D, but pretty soon, he had the hang of it well enough to switch over to Wannabe's Silvio while I let someone else try the Q.

The time trials were supposed to conclude at 4:20; but between the hilly course and the morning's exertions, everyone was toast by 3:30 (or too tired even to attempt the trials). The winning speed was just over 20 mph.

Saturday evening concluded with a discussion session at the hotel. Ian Sims spoke again briefly. We also heard from Mark Colliton of Bacchetta Bikes, and a local surgeon who rides recumbents discussed nutrition. The floor was then opened for questions, comments, and anecdotes.

Today (Sunday), the organizers took one group to the Longleaf Trace (42-mile rail trail) to ride from Prentiss to Hattiesburg, while a smaller group went to Vicksburg Military Park (serious hills, at least for this area).

I didn't get any pictures of the rides I went on, but hopefully RideSouth will post some of their many photos on their web site soon. The local newspaper did a front-page story about the rally, and posted a couple of video interviews, but no photo galleries yet. However, since pictures are a requirement here;), I did take a couple...Guys setting up bikes (smaller pic).jpg IMG_0200 crop.jpg

Saturday pics:
Nice weather, but chilly start
11190843_378965615624166_588687350_n.jpg

Trails ran right by the bay in places:
11190248_842999809099119_1168578426_n.jpg

Ridesouth's shop is one of the nicest bike shops I've seen - full parking lot for the rally plus overflow parking everywhere around it:
11201751_1577106855906204_839348305_n.jpg

Time Trials finish line and scoring table:
11192918_468368689988027_737249633_n.jpg

I hadn't even seen a Cruzbike in person til this weekend. I really appreciated Castlerobber and Wannabe letting Mrs. Axe and I give em a whirl.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Great write up, castlerobber! And good pics from you and battleaxeO

Hats off again to Jim & Lane Snider, and their shop RideSouth for a great event. RideSouth is one of the very best recumbent oriented shops in the US and probably world wide. Google it! Immediately! :)

After Saturday evening's forum, Wannabe and I were privileged to have an extended 'off the record' chat with the other Bacchetta principal in attendance. Very nice gentleman, very knowledgeable and informative. Since we agreed to 'off the record', suffice it to say that Bacchetta has no plans to develop a FWD/MBB bike anytime soon. Well, make that, not anytime, ever ;)

Wannabe

A great time was had by all. Driving home the euphoria of such a great weekend with great friends was Brought to a sudden halt, like hitting a brick wall, when my wife called and gave me the news. One weekend, on top of the world, next weekend, bike-less! :(

Not to worry. There is some one here that has a CB Quest that is thinking about selling. I could have the money for that in short order ( VERY SHORT ORDER) In the mean time, I will be saving up ( AGAIN) for a V or S.

I want to send a personal thanks to everyone here. It is as though I could feel the love and care from everyone. I am not going away. I will have at least a Quest ( if I can find used) to share stories about! :D

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
David, glad you were able to sell the Silvio quickly although still sorry you had to sell it at all. Here's hoping you quickly get back to a point where you can get another Silvio. Or a Vendetta!
Regards,
Kline

Wannabe

Yes Kline, thank you! I will not be on foot for long. A friend ( DF guy, does not get bents) found a CA2.0 that was in the Estate Settlement.
He bought it on a whim. I guess he does listen to me ramble. Since I keep his high dollar DF bikes in supreme running order, we have come to an agreement about the CA2.0.
When he is not riding it, I can. In fact it stays at my place. SO.... I took it on the weekend club ride just yesterday. Man!!!! THAT THING fly's!
I have never been able to ride so far so fast.... even back 25 years ago on my own trek 5200. I am not in shape at all. After the ride, my arms did not hurt, my legs were tired, but not bad. We only rode 30 miles. There were many times we were in the mid 20's. On several short down hills my fastest speed on the streamed-line GRR or Silvio was about 28.5 mph. I was able to get to 34.5 on the CA2.0. Recline is 28 degrees. Climbing hills was no harder than on the Silvio.
I am impressed. I see why the bike has set so many records. Yes the pilot is the determining factor. The CA2.0 allows one to extract power most efficiently. I am sure the vendetta is just as fast. At those speeds Aero trumps all! If I were to buy this in the future ( because my bud does not want it) it would be at less than 1/2 price of a V. That is good! Just 5 days ago, there was talk of a big layoff. At 62, it would be tough to find a job. Specially in light of the over 15,000 ( yes that is correct) people that have been laid off down here in the oil industry.
I called my boss, and he said ABSOLUTELY I would not be in the lay offs. For 4 days I was having panic attacks and not sleeping at night.
With this in mind, I can not see my self spending more than $1,500 for any bike. So that puts me out of any CB offerings. BUT HEY, this CA2.0 fills the need quite nicely.
At this time I only want to do those weekend rides and keep up with the strong ( but older) DF guys. Yesterday ( Saturday) , I arrived at the end a full minute before them. I have never been able to do that. YES I AM STOKED!