Phase I of VK/2 700c Conversion Kit: some pics and some questions...

BobD

I completed what I will call "Phase I" of my build.

I have been REALLY curious to see what it feels like sitting upon this frame with 700c wheels....it is really comfortable. I have a few questions, and hope you can offer some suggestions/experiences.

0-3.jpeg width: 221px; height: 166px;

I decided to use a used Rans handlebar that I picked up recently. I think it will work out well for the cockpit setup. Plan to use some Sram components I have that I have taken off of other bikes. The wheels came from an old Softride road bike that I passed on to others years ago. The crankset is an FSA with 52-39-24 rings that I took off of a 2002 P-38 that I am re-habbing.

0-5.jpeg width: 221px; height: 166px;

I hope you can see this "issue". The fork I found has a bunch of tabs for brakes on the fork itself. I did some surgery on some of them, but it looks like I will need to remove the fork and do some more surgery. It seems like the tabs will interfere with the chainline. Have others had this problem?

I used the fixed axle that was sent with the kit on the rear tire, although a QR worked as well. It seems more stable/safer with the paint, etc and the setup. Plan to get a front wheel fixed axle and do the same.

I am not happy with the width at the front dropouts. It somehow doesn't seem to fit the axle. I believe I was supposed to add washers to the bolt attaching the front dropouts....but it doesn't seem to help much. I am not being too clear here....sorry. It just seems that the front axle arrangement is not as "clean" as I would like. It is hard for me to believe that the drivetrain will run smoothly there.

0(2).jpeg width: 124px; height: 166px;

Will do some more experiementing and see.
I welcome all thoughts/suggestions....or references to other postings. Overall, I really like the comfort of the position......so...now I am really curious to see what it will handle like.

btw: A really interesting experience to move around such a forward-heavy bike.....requires an entirely differnt way of balancing it for "parking" w/o stand.

All in all...is a very enjoyable process....
Bob

0-1(1).jpeg width: 221px; height: 166px;

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice conversion

Hi Bob,

These bikes are really nice with the V2K frame and 700c wheels.

Your photos show up kinda small, so it's hard for me to see the issue with the tabs. My approach has been, "if it's in the way, grind it off!".

As for the front wheel fit, the adapter brackets were designed to expand a 100mm OLD to 135mm OLD. If you are using road wheels, they are 130mm OLD. This causes the QR to pull the brackets in 2.5mm on each side. Not a big deal, but it can cause slight mis-alignment of the derailluer, and things can end up looking kinda funky when you sight along the chainline. A thin washer on each side (or a spacer under the hub locknuts, depending on the hub design) can fix this.

Nice looking ride. I think you will enjoy it.

Cheers,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
You can place washers to a

You can place washers to a thickness of 2.5mm between each bracket and the fork dropout, to narrow the OLD for a 130 wheel.

BobD

Many thanks Doug and John!

Your comments are very helpful.
Similar to the fixed axle in the rear (non-QR) I have decided to do the same with the front wheel. If just "feels" more secure given the movement of the bracket and the presence of a layer of paint. Once I get that axle installed in the front wheel I will check out which of the above options seem to work best.

Plan to start playing around with brake selection and handlebar setup as well. Fortunately, I have a small collection of options saved from former bikes. Will be interesting to see if road components fit OK.....if not I have some V-brakes. I have some grip shifters that I plan to use....and a RD....all Sram.

Tis a blast!!
Thanks again,
Bob