Platform for recumbent on rollers

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have a set of Kreitler rollers with the headwind trainer (which basically allows you to put drag on the rotating cylinders, plus it blows air at you to help cool you down)
They are great for balance. I got very good at riding my DF on it many years ago. I eventually got to where I could with ride no hands.
I got on them the other day on my V. After about 10 minutes I was able to balance pretty well.
The only problem is that riding recumbent you do not really have a visual que of where you are in reference to the rollers, like you do on a diamond frame bike, so pretty easy to work you way to either side of the 16" drum and hop off.
Plus when you "fall off" of them, you drop about 6" straight down and your legs are up in the air and are a lot harder to get down without totally falling on the ground.
This led me to think of building a "platform" that would cover the rollers and allow for a "graceful" (or at least non-disastrous) dismount.
This seems to work pretty good. I have "rolled" off the back once when I fell off, so I think a nice addition will just be a small curb.
Probably should seal and paint it too to protect from any sweet that might fall while riding or falling. :)
Am also thinking of hanging a "trapeze bar" type gizmo within arms reach above my head that I could grab a hold of in an emergency. This would let me get my feet unclipped and get them down without falling over.
The only "issue" with this setup is that you basically have to remove the platform from the rollers when you are not using them so you can fold the rollers up. That is because there are the elastic bands that cannot remain stretched over the drums, as this would ruin them.
roller5s.jpg

I want to ride on rollers to help develop a finer sense of balance on my V, plus they are nice for fowl weather.
I mainly want to try out different aero handlebar layouts, and know from reading that the closer in your hands are the twitchy the steering is.
Riding this with the aero bars I think will help fine tune the balance issue with them.
Hopefully by springtime, I will be able to hold a line with the areo handlebar set I feel is the best one to run with at races.
roller4s.jpg

roller3s.jpg

roller2s.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Is there an optional mount to

Is there an optional mount to attach the mattress too so that when you crash you can keep from hitting the wall?

Ok just kidding that is brilliant.

mzweili

Guru
Silvio on rollers

This weekend I installed my Silvio 2 on Tacx Galaxy rollers. I set it close to a wall on the right side and for the moment I clip only my right foot in.
I have the same problem not seeing if I ride too close to the side of the rollers. I think I'm going to install a mirror in front of me to control my alignment. Initially it might be weird because of the mirrored image.

LarryOz

than

Gosh Mark, what a good idea - buying an extra mirror would have been vastly more simple than building this crazy platform.
But what would I have done that whole day after Thanksgiving!

WhiteSilvio

Rollers 2 Platform Location

Hi Larry,
I have a couple of questions regarding the platform which goes with your "set of Kreitler rollers with the headwind trainer".

How have you located/aligned the platform relative to the rollers and roller frame?

And is the platform resting on the roller frame, or do they both just sit on a level floor independent of each other?

I have been toying with the idea of building something like this for some considerable time and never actually got around to doing something about it.

Ta for now,
John.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
definately not a waste

Larry,

Not sure that was a waste; it certainly solves the foot down problem. I haven't considered rollers for that very problem: How the heck to get my foot to the ground without creating unintended entertainment for the kids.

LarryOz

funny to onlookers when you fall of rollers

John,
Layout:
I basically laid out the rollers on the ground and took exact measurements of it base. Then drew up the plans, showing cut-outs of the drums and the bands that had to be above the deck. Pretty simple approach, nothing exotic.
Yes the platform is totally independent of the rollers. It basically sits right over the top of them. I also built the frame underneath so it would "capture" the rubber feet of the roller frame. That was the roller could not move around once the frame was positioned.
To begin, I also sat on the rollers on my bike and had someone measure the distance the front wheel was off of the ground, then made the frame that height. Even with that, I somehow missed it by about 1/4". Since I glued and nailed little 3/4" blocks on the bottom of the frame to get the right height, I just decided to "hollow out" that extra 1/4" in the plywood by hand with my circular saw, between the 2 closest rollers. That was a job, and a lot of sawdust!

Bob,
Yes, and it is funny as heck for anybody watching when you "fall" off.
The worst fall I had on one was when I was just beside a wall, and I kind of got wedged in between the bike and wall.
lucky I had my helmet on. That is a good point! Resist the temptation to not where a helmet and gloves. Just DO IT!
I think I will build my littel trapeze too, just above my head. Then I can grab it and have time to get my feet out.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Roller Rumble Strip Idea

Someone should engineer adhesive rumble strips that can be placed on the outer edges of the rollers so that the rider gets immediate feedback when he or she is approaching the edge.

LarryOz

Great idea Andrew!!!

I might try some some 1/2" strips of thick Duck tape and see how that works out.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Someone should engineer

Someone should engineer adhesive rumble strips that can be placed on the outer edges of the rollers so that the rider gets immediate feedback when he or she is approaching the edge.

Or even trying to rough up the surface???

Jim Gerwing

Kreitler, the Kadilac of rollers

Nice set up, Larry.
I am partial to rollers. I am using a doorway in the basement for guidance. In my early recumbent roller stage, I put a mark on the wall directly in front of me and then taped two dots on a fork (not a real fork) along the boom that were set apart consistent with my pupil spread (one dot will not work if you ride with two eyes). After a couple of weeks I found that I had enough other sensory feedback to remove the 'sight'. No falls yet but every once in a while there are some close calls when I'm shifting gears or changing handholds or not paying attention.
I had a terrific fall early last winter. I was set up by the stairs down to the basement and went over the edge. I was pinned to the ground, laying on my right side and clipped in. My son heard the crash, came and asked if he could help. 'Just lift my left heel toward the ceiling,' I asked. Fortunately, no harm done to bike or body.
The trapeze is invaluable for dismounting. I step on the platform with my left foot, hold the bike with my left hand, grab the trap with my right and bring my right knee in toward my supporting left leg with my right foot up (like I'm about to kick a ball) clearing the headrest.
Stationary cycling is a sweaty affair and could be boring if not for some really good music.