platform pedals

jeebus

I went on my first silvio ride of the season a couple days ago and was really impressed with how nice its ergonomics and drivetrain are. I posted a short writeup over on brol, but basically the bike's ergonomics are just great for generating power and the transmission is of course super efficient for getting that power to the road.

But that's not why I'm starting this thread. I want to ask about platform pedals.

Every year I go through the same routine: start the season with knee pain, get frustrated with my old clipless pedals, throw them out and buy a new brand I haven't tried yet. Then I spend the first half of the season fiddling around trying to adjust them just right until mid-summer when I usually feel okay (because my knees are stronger by then, not because the pedals are adjusted so well). Then next season I repeat the whole cycle.

This year I'm considering going platform. I never would have even considered going platform on a recumbent if I hadn't tried it first out of curiosity on my stationary trainer. I found it wasn't nearly as different as I had imagined (no feet flying off the pedals, no extra muscles holding my legs up).

So for my first outdoor ride a couple days ago I tried it, and it really worked just fine. I don't think it reduced my control of the bike a bit. I won't claim it was a complete panacea for knee pain, but I think it compared favorably with clipless. Also my power generation on the hills was quite good I thought. My endurance was awful, but I doubt that's the platform pedal's fault.

So what are other folks' opinions on clipless vs platform pedals on the silvio? And what are some good platform pedals to consider?

This probably sounds silly to those of you who have been using platform pedals, but before trying it out I had all these ideas in my head... I was afraid my feet would go flying every time I hit a bump, and I wouldn't be able to get the cranks in position for take-off at every stoplight, and I'd be using twice the pedaling energy to hold my legs up. Then I tried it and it worked every bit as well as riding clipless did. Geez.

Mark

KenM

Hi Mark,
I've got a Sofrider but have been working on this issue from a slightly different position.
I really enjoy the "clipless" pedals for long, uninterrupted rides, but I'm increasingly finding that for city riding where there's lots of traffic lights, intersections, bicycle chicanes or very sharp low speed bends, that the platforms are much easier.

I had been using pedals that are "clipless" on one side and platform on the other but their weighting defaults to clipless side and it takes a bit of fiddle to actively turn them over to the platform side, which can be quite distracting when starting in the traffic. I have yet to organise sufficient weight (it seems to need much more than I anticipated) to get them to sit the other way reliably so I tend to change pedals as needed. Until I can get sufficient weight neatly attached to the pedals or some other "combo" pedals that balance how I want them to, I'll probably just continue to swap as required.

Fortunately I don't seem to have knee problems! :)
-Ken

Trevski

+1 for platform in an urban environment. But then, I've only been Cruzin' for just over a month, and used clipless twice. My attitude may change after I become more familiar with clipless.

Cheers,
Trev

Gromit

Guru
KenM wrote: Hi Mark,
I've got a Sofrider but have been working on this issue from a slightly different position.
I really enjoy the "clipless" pedals for long, uninterrupted rides, but I'm increasingly finding that for city riding where there's lots of traffic lights, intersections, bicycle chicanes or very sharp low speed bends, that the platforms are much easier.

I had been using pedals that are "clipless" on one side and platform on the other but their weighting defaults to clipless side and it takes a bit of fiddle to actively turn them over to the platform side, which can be quite distracting when starting in the traffic. I have yet to organise sufficient weight (it seems to need much more than I anticipated) to get them to sit the other way reliably so I tend to change pedals as needed. Until I can get sufficient weight neatly attached to the pedals or some other "combo" pedals that balance how I want them to, I'll probably just continue to swap as required.

Fortunately I don't seem to have knee problems! :)
-Ken
Ken
Perhaps the MKS Ezy removable pedals would be the answer? :)
I have the MM-Cube Ezy and XP Ezy pedals myself but as I usually only use my front-wheel drive recumbent on longer pleasure rides, I have switched to Shimano M324 clipless/platform pedals as I'm more usually clipped in.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
For sporty riding I like the shimano road pedals. I stay stopped with the right foot in and when I take off, on the second round of the left foot I usually find the click in. I'll often be on the road, sometimes the bike path, but never on the footpath with these.

For urban riding, I use an old loose set of shimano spd which come out real easy, and a shimano mtb shoe. If I don't get the click in, it doesn't matter much, and I just kind of step around with every pedal stroke till it comes in. Its harder to f ind the right spot with the spds but the easy out is the key.

' hate riding platforms now. I've learnt that pedals don't hardly have to be more than finger tight, and the pedals we use have a 6mm allen key on the inside, so its easy to swap them around.

When I take my son for ride (8 yo) I'm on the footpath and might have my daughter on the back (21mo). I use my shimano spds. Its just so relaxing to be clipped in. I'll be on the footpath a lot on these rides.

KenM

Hi Gromit,
Changing the pedals is not such a big hassle. My ideal solution would be pedals that are like those that came with my Giant Hybrid (which I swap with my Cruzbike) that can be used as platforms or with cleats depending on which side you use, however these pedals balance so that they present the cleat side by default. Its going to take a significant amount of weight to get them to hang the other way and default to the platforms. If I could find a set that hung the "right" way without weights I'd be be grinning. BTW Does anyone know the correct name for these dual function pedals?

And John,
I also definitely prefer riding with cleats - its just the starting, stopping and very tight manoeuvring that takes a bit extra time/effort/concentration (I know: more practice!) I might try loosening the mechanism a bit when I get a chance and see how much of a difference it makes. Having said that, I'm surprised how effective platforms are on the Cruzbike when compared to a conventional bike.
Cheers,
-Ken

currystomper

Hi

I've got half and half 'spuds on all my bikes (SPD one side and flat the other) general around town ridding I use the flats with cycling shoes that have no cleats. For any distance I have shoes with 'spuds. With the flat shoes you can ride on either side for short distances - when covenant you can swap to the other side of the pedal if needed just by lifting your foot off of the pedal for half a rev. I can do this without thinking now.

I've got half and half spuds on my conversation and they seem to work just as well with flat shoes. I notice that I pivot my feet when turning a corner - so I wonder if I've pop the spuds when I start using them. (I've not been on a long enough ride to use them yet).

that's my 2 pence!!

Currystomp

Dano

I've used clipless Speedplay Frogs for years on my Nazca and love them - in fact I wouldn't consider riding it without them. However, I can't seem to get comfortable with them on the Silvio, and they don't seem to provide me with as much benefit. Granted, I only have several hundred miles on it so far, but I am going to order a pair of Speedplay Drillium platforms to give them a try.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I have used Speed play frogs,Eggbeaters and Time ATAC +platform pedals on my Silvio. I prefer clip less for that extra power you get on the upstroke it really helps in starting and for that extra acceleration when needed. Jack

zivl3

I started with platforms when I got my Silvio but switched to clipless (Crank Bros. Candies) after the initial 10 miles. When I was just starting the learning process, the platforms were great for quick bailouts and I found that I could rotate my foot on the pedal when I was making sharp turns.
Swapping to the clipless was definitely a leap of faith but as soon as I was clipped in I felt much more in control of the bike. Even sharp turns felt better. Not being able to rotate my foot was actually a good thing because my legs would stay aligned better which helped with balance and handlebar clearance. Clipless also helped me with straight line riding, especially when my speeds increased. I'm not a masher and clippling in lets me use my natural pedal stroke and pull my foot around the bottom of the stroke. I found it takes a lot less handlebar input to hold a line; straight or curved.
For me, starts are still the sketchiest part of riding the bike, but that would be true regardless of the pedals. However, there is only one side to bailout on when I'm clipped in.

currystomper

zivl3 wrote: I found that I could rotate my foot on the pedal when I was making sharp turns.
Swapping to the clipless was definitely a leap of faith but as soon as I was clipped in I felt much more in control of the bike. Even sharp turns felt better. Not being able to rotate my foot was actually a good thing because my legs would stay aligned better which helped with balance and handlebar clearance.

That interesting, I noticed that I rotate my feet in the flat pedals and I wondered what would happen when I clipped in. (I'm not worried about clipping in - I just need to find some time to get on a long ride out of town now that I seem to be getting my 'cruz wings!!) - roll on summer time!!

KenM

I've got to unclip for slow, tight turns such as chicanes and U-turns on pedestrian/bike overpasses as I find that I have to rotate my feet a bit for these. If I don't unclip I tend to lose balance, on a couple of occasions with embarrassing results. I can't really see how its linked but when not clipped in I also move my back across the seat in tight manoeuvres as well, which I've never noticed when clipped in. I might have another go when I've got many more hours in the saddle, but until then I'll probably stick with platforms around town and use the cleats for touring.
-Ken

Dano

Riding the lowracer even in city traffic I stay clipped it and it is very comfortable. On the Silvio, I can't seem to find that total comfort zone when I'm clipped in and I'm not sure why. I've accidentally unclipped several times and the angle doesn't feel right. I may try experimenting with the cleat position to see if that helps. But since most of the riding on the Silvio will be in city traffic I will try the platforms and on longer trips clipless for sure.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
KenM wrote: I've got to unclip for slow, tight turns such as chicanes and U-turns on pedestrian/bike overpasses as I find that I have to rotate my feet a bit for these. If I don't unclip I tend to lose balance, on a couple of occasions with embarrassing results. I can't really see how its linked but when not clipped in I also move my back across the seat in tight manoeuvres as well, which I've never noticed when clipped in. I might have another go when I've got many more hours in the saddle, but until then I'll probably stick with platforms around town and use the cleats for touring.
-Ken

When making tight maneuvers, focus your energy into throwing your hips away from the turn and leaning into it. With the Cruzbike, most, if not all your steering input is controlled with the hips. These bikes will almost turn on a dime when you get the hang of it.

Mark

zivl3

currystomper wrote:
zivl3 wrote: I found that I could rotate my foot on the pedal when I was making sharp turns.
Swapping to the clipless was definitely a leap of faith but as soon as I was clipped in I felt much more in control of the bike. Even sharp turns felt better. Not being able to rotate my foot was actually a good thing because my legs would stay aligned better which helped with balance and handlebar clearance.

That interesting, I noticed that I rotate my feet in the flat pedals and I wondered what would happen when I clipped in. (I'm not worried about clipping in - I just need to find some time to get on a long ride out of town now that I seem to be getting my 'cruz wings!!) - roll on summer time!!

I should mention that I've found that it's a lot easier to turn if I keep pedalling. If I want to coast through a turn I still pedal but I spin the crank slowly so I'm still freewheeling. If I try to go through a turn without spinning the crank my feet fight my hands and it's harder to hold the line through the turn.

One of the reasons I bought the Cruzbike was that I need to negotiate some tight switchbacks and bike path bollards. This is one of the few bikes that can do that without worrying about heelstrike. I have a couple hundred miles on the Silvio now and I feel pretty confident threading it through some pretty tight spaces.