popping noise in bottom bracket or headset

I have a popping in bottom bracket or headset ,lean more towards bottom bracket. The bike taken to local shop and the ring clamp bolt on the none chain ring side was broke.This was replaced ,but still getting popping noise. They told me at shop this would probally happen again due to the stress this bolt is put under,hence they said poor design.Still cant figure what is causing the popping noise mainly under hard peddaling.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Try Stuff

-one thing at a time.

(I used to be an electronics field service engineer: "is it plugged in?")

Do you have a different set of pedals? Maybe the cheap platform pedals
that come standard?
Anyway, find some pedals that fit and try those.

You're doing this on the road, yes? Your trainer/bike stand may be creaking.

Try a different wheel: a spoke may be speaking.

Try pedaling with different shoes: those stiff bike shoes can develop noises.

Anyway, try one thing at a time and you will isolate the problem.
It will turn out to be the last thing you try....

A bolt broke?
That's unusual!

Good luck,
Steve

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
In addition to Steve's

In addition to Steve's suggestions, Do you have a trainer? Can you make the nose while riding on it? If so, can somebody else find the noise while you're riding?

(And it's always the last thing you try because after you find it, you stop looking!)

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
...also, is there noise while

...also, is there noise while spinning the crank and/or coasting? I'm thinking while coasting, if it's the BB or in crank, you should not hear the noise.

I'm still trying to figure out what bolt broke. The crank arm bolt or the Silvio BB clamp bolt?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Some of us (not many)

Some of us (not many) experienced a ring bolt shearing during assembly. It turned out that the bolt was slightly longer than the hole and would bottom out before tightening the ring. Yours might have been the same way. There was a simple solution and it has been problem free since then; a slightly shorter bolt. I have seen the bottom bracket blamed for popping sounds turn out to be the pedals or something else many times. Dont be afraid to swap out the BB to find out. It is a lot easier and faster than one might think.