Pork Chop

mauler

Here's my conversion.

Donor bike was a Porsche FS of 1996 vintage. It was rotting away in a dark corner of my home. I took a look at it and it looked like a perfect candidate for a resurrection job.

The original fork was never returned to me after I sent it to a LBS for a refurbishment before I stored it away.

Serendipitously, I found, literally, an unused Rock Shox SID fork in my home's storeroom. Apparently a friend of my brother's left an unassembled Specialized M5 hardtail frame, drivetrain, components, etc., at home for storage and never came back for it. Finders keepers.

SRAM X-0 9-speed grip shifts, X-0 rear derailleur, Shimano Dura-Ace front derailleur, SRAM Force 53/39 crank, Shimano XT front V-brake, Avid BB7 rear disc brake, Shimano BL-R780 brake levers (compatible for long- and short-pull brakes).

Not fully understanding some of the challenges of the conversion, I got down to it anyway. First, I had a hard time understanding the assembly instructions. Being dyslexic, I preferred pictures. After a while, I abandoned the written stuff, referring to them only when absolutely needed.

Rather than using the included adaptor for the front wheel, I used a spare rear wheel at the back, taking advantage of disc brakes because the Porsche's frame didn't have cantilever brake posts. The rear disc brake is attached to an adaptor made by a local bicycle fabrication master, the original being of a proprietary design.

I had some issues with the RD shifting to the lower gears until I figured that the chain was a few links too short. Added some links and the issue vapourised.

Another issue, which still is an issue, is the RD. When the thing is fully screwed into the FWD bracket, the other end of the screw protrudes and interferes with the chain on the highest gear. I circumvented the issue by using washers to space things out.

Other than some silly mistakes, the conversion went well.

The finished product is a bit on the high side but manageable.

Comments are welcome, please!

Here are some pictures:

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Well done!
If you aren't

Well done!

If you aren't riding off-road, slicks will make a MAJOR improvement in speed. If you are going off road, have fun! :D

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hmmm, I should build an

Hmmm, I should build an off-road conversion so I can go riding with Steamer. See this BentRider post.

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It would take some home

It would take some home engineering, but I'd love to see a fat-bike Cruzbike conversion. That could be a lot of fun in exactly where Steamer wants to take you riding (although I'm not convinced he wants you to come back out... :D ).

vonhazza

Nice Job Mauler,
Keep a light

Nice Job Mauler,

Keep a light touch on that rear disc brake, very light rear end make it easy to lock up, I would look for some handle Bars that sweep down may be more comfortable, the seat looks like to could go a bit further forward, helps with traction, just my opinion of course I have had my kit about 6 years now first build was similar to yours and did a couple of tours with it and was happy with the comfort have made a few changes over the years and now have the V2K frame.

The great thing about these kits is you have lots of scope to play around and make changes until you get what you want, have fun

mauler

Thanks, vonhazza!
Interesting

Thanks, vonhazza!

Interesting you should mention the seat pan. I actually moved it forward a little this afternoon. I can't move the seat pan holder anymore because the seat angle and height will make it impossible to mount the bike without some sort of step-up assistance.

I agree with the scope of play kits give.

So far, and I've only ridden the bike within my home's compound, the ride has been comfortable, and the riding position relaxed.

The front grip before I move the seat pan was about the same post-move. I moved it to get better clearance for my knees.

I agree about the hand position comfort, but I'll go with this for the time being.

Cheers!

vonhazza

Hi Mauler,
regarding seat

Hi Mauler,

regarding seat position as the top tube already slopes upward you may be able to reverse the seat pan bracket to bring the nose down, you may have done this already but I cannot tell by the photos,

mauler

I got a bit crazy and

I got a bit crazy and Di2'd my conversion. I also changed the flat bar with the stock handlebar that came with my Silvio kit.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg height:503px;

IMG_0016.jpg height:484px;

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Cool, a Cruzbike Di2 MTB but

Cool, a Cruzbike Di2 MTB but I betcha can't manage a dropper seat pan...

tongue_smile.gif

PS - I searched over on MTBR Forums for "Di2" in the drive train section and didn't get any results. Maybe you could start a new trend?

-Eric

mauler

I came across an MTB with an

I came across an MTB with an adapted 7970 Di2 system by K-Edge a couple of years ago while searching for electronic shifting in recumbents. I can't remember if the article was in Bike Radar or some other bike-related site. Here's K-Edge's site: http://www.ki2bike.com.

Their rear D had a custom cage that allowed the mechanism to clear the largest cog. K-Edge also hacked control buttons for flatbars.

That piqued my curiosity, which gave rise to a desire to Di2 my rides that didn't get sated until just last year. My first Di2 system was installed in a mini-velo, a Tyrell CSI. I got tired of that very quickly, which reminded me why I went 'bents in the first place - the comfort.

Anyway, I ripped the Di2 out of my CSI and installed that onto my then-just-acquired Velokraft VK2.

The standard cage wouldn't work with the 11-32 cassette at first. Googling the matter, I read somewhere that it was possible to swap out the original short cage with something from Shimano's MTB range. I got a used XTR derailleur and exchanged the cages. What got it to work, or nearly work, was the fact that the XTR cage held the pulley nearest the derailleur body a little lower than the road cage. Adjusting the B screw to the max allowed more clearance but not all the way. The pulley still rubbed on the largest cog. To clear that further, I added a nut better the screw and the screw stop. It's not a perfect nor elegant solution but it works. Mostly.

Other than the 11-speed system, designed to work with cassettes up to 32 teeth, my other three rides were similarly modded.

What may work beautifully other than doing up a custom cage is a custom derailleur hanger. That won't be possible with the conversion kit unless an adaptor is made for the derailleur. There's a local bike guru who does custom work. He customised some parts for my VK2 and Porsche frame, both to adapt disc brakes. I've spoke to him about longer derailleur hangers. I now need to show him what I mean.

Eric: What's a dropper seat pan? Something like a pneumatic seat post?

Charles: The system works nicely for me on roads. I've not taken the bike onto the trails yet but I have zero intention of using it on technical trails. I only want to use it on light dirt trails, grass trails. I am guessing that it'll work as nicely on those trails.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I was yanking your chain

I was yanking your chain mister. Dropper seat post - dropper seat pan.

devil_smile.gif

-Eric