Possible to mod for gates carbon drive and internal hub?

I'm very done with chains. Recently I had the pleasure of riding a bike (diamond frame) with a gates carbon drive and an internally geared hub.

I have a low racer. I want a Silvio, however I also want a gates carbon drive.

Since the Silvio already appears to have a triangle that comes apart, allowing for the insertion and removal of the belt, it seems the only modification needed is a mechanism to control belt tension so it can be installed/removed and also properly tensed for operation. I'm guessing internal geared hubs can also probably fit.

Are these basic facts correct?

If so, would it be possible to implement an adjustable chain stay extender for this purpose? (or a better idea of some type of tensioner)

Right now my dream bike is a gates carbon drive Silvio.

Gates%20Carbon%20Belt%20Drive%20Sprocket.jpg

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm a bit worried that front suspension might mess things up, so that might mean Vendetta or Quest. In both cases, because the front fork can be detached from the chainstay, you don't have that problem. You will have to figure out (1) how to make small adjustments in the wheel position to keep the belt tight and (2) how to get the right size belt.

But I don't think it's impossible...

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You will have to figure out (1) how to make small adjustments in the wheel position to keep the belt tight and (2) how to get the right size belt.
Yeah probably would need a Fixie style front fork with a dropout based fork. The problem with those belts is nobody has come up with the equivalent to a chain tensioner for the "conversion" industry. If that tensioner existed these things would probably pop up in more places.

Speaking of a fixie CB that might be interesting all though the odds of winding up in Unicyle position would be rather high.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
If you could get a new bottom boom part made with a tandem-sized BB that allowed for an eccentric BB, then it might work.

It wouldn't be impossble if you have a mechanic who can weld aluminum nearby (take your boom to be modified and get someone to make a modified carboyoke holder/derailleur stalk thingie (which scabinetguy may have done already?)

mzweili

Guru
Apart from being cleaner, I don't see a reason to replace the chain with a belt. Chains have proven to be one of the most efficient transmission elements. Regarding belt tension you could add sort of a spring-loaded idler pulley.

Here are some belt sizes:
CDX%20Red%20Belt%20Table.png

TEETH LENGTH(MM)
108 1188
111 1221
113 1243
115 1265
118 1298
120 1320
122 1342
125 1375
132 1452

Last edited:
Right here is what I'm talking about.
Why not take this piece:
OrthoCSExt.jpg

and make it extendable, telescopic.
Then it could be used to adjust belt tension.

Last edited:
This comes apart so a belt can go on and off right (in red)?
I think the suspension travel is going to be irrelevant because it won't change the length of the chainstay + extension/tensioner (green).
Cruzbike_Silvio_Front_Tri3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an example of a telescoping adjustable length item.
This is for automotive camber adjustment.
KTA135%20Adj%20Camber%20Arms%202.JPG

Although, I would prefer a simpler system that seems to be used on most of these carbon drive belts, the sliding bolt arrangement. It may be possible to incorporate this type of sliding tensioner into the chainstay or chainstay extension no?
Gates_Carbon_Belt_Drive_Sprocket2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'm very done with chains.
Fred, why are you done with chains?
I thought I was - mostly because I just hated all the grease - I briefly looked into belt-drive systems too, even had a totally belt-less internal gear system. Lost too much wattage. It was nice from the "clean" perspective, but they still wear and have to be replaced which is also more expensive than a chain and/or cassette.
So as an alternative:
I started waxing my chains this year, and boy is that nice! Quite, and they last longer.
And they are soooooo clean you would not believe it.
I use Molten Speed wax. Owner of the company is an elite Masters racer and his son's are pros. It is great stuff.
http://moltenspeedwax.com
I use it on my V's right now - 10 and 11 speed chains. Cleaning and preparing the chains is a little overwhelming at first. I did 5 so I made it a little harder on myself, but have some for a long time now.
When the wax "wears" off, you just re-dip the chain in the hot wax and you are good to go again for about 1000 miles or so.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The cool-factor of a belt-drive is undeniable.
Chains are more efficient.

The cool factor of shaft-drive is undeniable.
Chain drive is more efficient.

if you have to have a belt-drive on your bike, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

A dirty chain is your fault: You are either maintaining it wrong or you are pedaling around in a very dirty environment.
LarryOz is correct.
My experience with waxed chains goes all the way back to the dawn of o-ring sealed motorcycle chains.
All they ever needed was enough wax to keep the rust away and minimize wear on cog teeth.
Bike chains don't have o-rings and they don't transmit the power of a real internal combustion engine, either.
I'm lazier than LarryOz.
I use furniture polish -like Pledge- on all the bike parts, even the transmission.
Works just fine.

Do do the toothed belt thing... it's so cool.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm lazier than LarryOz.
I use furniture polish -like Pledge- on all the bike parts, even the transmission..
I'm lazier than both of you; WD40 by the gallon at homedepot $2.99.
Ride, Spray, wipe down with a rag; repeat.

Works just fine.
Ditto

For those that ride in the rain on purpose well you need a better solution or don't live in the northwest US.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Larry turned me on to waxing the chain, thanks Larry. Absolutely love it. No more chain tatts. I've got a few hundred miles on the chain now, can go out and wrap my hand around the chain...no grease, dirt, or scum. Best thing I've tried, other than Dark Chocolate :p

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
don't know.... Winhaven's Slated Honeywine Caramel is probably one up on Dark Chocolate. :D ride 100 miles then drink a nice glass of mead and have a nap.
Bob I got to admit Minnesota Honey Mead Wine defiantly ups the ante.
really need to organize like a 4-7 day tour through the California wine country;
I looked in all stores around and can't find any Minnesota Mead. So you might want to bring along a bottle or two!

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
nah, you want an eccentric bottom bracket, like I said before.
It is easier to deal with, and you still get the suspension, etc. of the carboyoke that is already there.