Power Grips on a Quest

bret

These are unknown here in Perth, but I knew of them from my previous life, so I had some sent up from the States.

They are an alternate to cleats or toe clips: http://www.powergrips.com/
I added them and went for a ride. They help quite a bit - I expect anything that holds my foot to the pedal would give benefit. I noticed I was tired trying to keep my foot on the pedal - I tended to push my feet further out so they would rest more on the pedal.

I also notice my shoes have some input too - my feet are loose inside the ones I wore, and so I didn't get the full benefit. I have the thought I will go shopping for comfortable and practical cycling shoes - even without the cleats, the firmer sole would likely help and I might later try cleats.

It's really easy to get out of them - the natural movement to put my feet down on a Cruzbike does the job.
20170716_PowerGrips(1).jpg

open

When I switched from a diamond frame to a recumbent I began having knee problems using SPD's. In order to allow my heel to pivot a bit while pedaling I tried Powergrips. They helped but I have since gone to Speedplay frogs (on one bike) and Crank Brothers on another bike. Both of those allow my heel to float and seem to deliver more power. Also, being "locked in" helps with the steering on my Quest. I can't yet ride with no hands, but the Crank Bro's have smoothed out the whole pedaling and steering process.

bret

Speedplay frogs (on one bike) and Crank Brothers on another bike
The Power Grips do what they say, but may be better on my upright Tern. Of the cleated pedals you mention, which would you recommend for me on my Quest?

Thanks.

Speedplay Frogs have the most float. They have so much that unclipping from them takes a while to get used to. Crank Bros have less float than the Frogs, but more than the SPD's. Both the Frogs and Crank Bro's make my left knee happy. SPD's have less float, but are absolutely reliable. All 3 have their proponents and it comes down to personal preference. I have Frogs on my Django and Crank Bro's on the Quest; I could reverse that and be happy. I will say the cleats on the Crank Bro's last longer (don't wear down as fast) as the Frogs. Any of these will make controlling your Quest easier, at least it did for me.

Tuloose

Guru
I have been using the old style mountain bike style, double sided SPD's (AKA "Spuds") ever since Shimano introduced them over 20 years ago.
As a testament to how well they hold up I still have the 1st pair I ever bought.
My wife uses them too and between the 2 of us we have about 6 pairs.
They are fairly easy to service - just unscrew the axle, push some grease down in the hole in the pedal where the axle goes and screw the axle back in.
The excess grease will smoosh out - wipe it off and you're done.
Every 4 or 5 years I change cleats. They wear out faster when riding in dirt but I gave up MTB'ing 15 years ago.
I had a pair of Looks once for my old road bike but I didn't like the huge plastic cleat and the single sided entry.