Power meter for Vendetta

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This

If you want to just ride, power meter is only expensive gadget.

The power meter has two purposes:
1) Training to be faster, stronger, longer. If you are not going to do structured training then it's waste.
2) If you are trying to optimize a bike for rolling resistance and air resistance; then it is a high value tool for that but you have to learn the science. That tuning / optimizing can be because you obsessively enjoy it; or in pursuit of #1

If you are focused on #2 you can get a lot more mileage out of trusting people you really trust to recommend better Wheels, Hubs, and Tires. After you address those properly then #2 becomes about measuring the finite small stuff and the meter then becomes the next logical expense.

This an $2.45us will get you 1 coffee; and raise your heart rate.

jond

Zen MBB Master
for me a power meter is invaluable and the best metric i have . totally agree with the reasons listed by ratz above. it is the training metric to get the most out of your training. it does however have great scope for the everyday cyclist.

"yes i know that i can sustain x amount of watts for 5 minutes or x for an hour before i need to dial back. very handy knowledge for staying past lycra clad bunches of df's. oops sorry testosterone vestige warning....

but also for me over long distances it most importantly takes the subjectivity out of cycling. for example. i am feeling good subjectively on the bike and i go to hard perhaps risking a dnf. or conversely i am feeling not so great and i ride to easy and slow cutting into valuable sleep time.

the powermeter lets me know exactly no if or buts what i am doing rain hail shine wind or coffee it does not mind.

"jon you are pushing 130 watts time to pick it up buddy." " hello buddy are you there jon." time to go lets go. :)

it has allowed me over time to establish known benchmarks for my chicken legged modest performance. i can tell for instance if i am starting to dehydrate and so temperature and hydration management become easier and accurate. on exceptionally hot days with high sweat rates i can decrease my effort by 10-15 watts to drop the sweat rate to manageable proportions for that hot period. i could not achieve that with heart rate and or by feel. no other metric to me is so invaluable. thanks to the power meter i have been able to complete some very tough brevet rides under variable conditions ( eg 14000m ascent 1200klm 85 hours elapsed time) through informed thoughtful knowledgeable cycling .

yes i like my powermeter for its simple honesty and for establishing my performance benchmarks modest as they are.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You certainly have a way with words Ratz! Inspiring as always!
You to Jon - If I didn't already have a power meter, I'd run right out and buy one after reading your post!

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Snilard - if these are your options - go with the Vendetta, and a 2.45us$ cup of coffee.
I will. I have got agreement with one guy who bought Vendetta only for Paris-Brest-Paris 2015. If it is still active I wil buy it after PBP. But I don't know its frame size. It was showroom bike so I hope that it is M sized.
Vendetta is expensive bike for me and It is getting more and more expensive as Czech National Bank lowers and lowers value of Czech crown. It was under 20 CZK per USD one year before, now it is ~26 CZK per USD. And for new frame you have to pay 4,7% duty and 20% VAT. I would be happy man If I don't know Cruzbike :)
I am sorry that I am so complaining.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
As you probably noted, Rotor introduced new relatively cheap BB axle power meter. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/rotor-inpower-meters.html
So there is simple question :) Does anyone know that Rotor 3D+ cracks are compatible with V or not? It seams from pictures that it should. But I don't know external diameter of their BB bearings.
What I really like on Rotor 3D+ is that it can be made in 160 mm length.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
This power meter looks like a good investment https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/limits-the-world-s-smartest-cycling-power-meter

Today my brother and I met for a little cycling around the uk. We are using some cheap real heavy steel DF bikes without clips. I am so use to spinning that I just seem to lack power. Without toe clips you have to really mash the pedals. Its all about technique and a power meter looks like a great way to increase the performance. I am interested in the analysis of the sensor data. What might be the best app that can present the cyclist with a better understanding of the current bio-visual feedback? With golfers and their swing everything happens so quickly. Its a similar problem shifting the load on a pedal. I guess the deadspots have the least load and the 30 degrees to the 120 degrees from the deadspot has the most load. Like a golf swing the cyclist still has to follow through with an amount of power. Then I have q-rings on the Vendetta so what sort of app is going to understand that?

(Tempted to buy a Quest after today's grunt)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Then I have q-rings on the Vendetta so what sort of app is going to understand that?

For Q-Rings you need a power meter that measures 1 time per revolution.
Stages will do that; and give you a consistent reading. But it will read about 4-5% high versus round rings. If you switch between bikes with round and q-rings then you have to account for that delta. If you only ride q-rings then it doesn't matter for you personal training only when comparing to others.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
For Q-Rings you need a power meter that measures 1 time per revolution.
Stages will do that; and give you a consistent reading. But it will read about 4-5% high versus round rings. If you switch between bikes with round and q-rings then you have to account for that delta. If you only ride q-rings then it doesn't matter for you personal training only when comparing to others.

Larry is using Q-rings isn't he? Is that the secret to his superhuman power levels? :)

Or are the rest of us just low powered slobs?

I use a Reflkt+, Garmin speed/cadence and a TickrX. Had to change the batteries in both the Tickr (easy) and the Rflkt (pain) once. The Reflkt has four microscopic screws and I had to buy a micro screwdriver set before I could change it.

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have to say that I don't like Limits power meter. Adding ~2 cm to Q-factor is not nice.