Power to the pedal

jphipps

Replaced my current flat pedals with Pedal Innovations Catalyst pedal. Noticeable difference on starts and climbs, can now keep up with upright bike buddies on climbs. The Catalyst pedal is designed to support ball and heel of the foot, other pedals only support the ball of foot, even the clip-in type do not support the foot heel, which is why a very stiff shoe is needed to compensate for the non-support. To use this pedal some adjustment is needed to assure the arch of the foot is placed over the pedal spindle, I shorted the boom length to the pedal, adjusted the elliptical chain wheel one notch, and put more air in the shock (to compensate for center of gravity shift to the rear). Overall speed did not change, but climbs are much more efficient and reduced need for spin. Check out some of the articles at Pedal Innovations web site that dispute the claims that clip-in pedals are more efficient and the need to pull-up on the pedal for maximum power transfer from the legs to the bike. Also, the new foot placement feels more natural vs using only the ball of foot to transfer power. Photo attached

Attachments

• DSCN1379.JPG
    DSCN1379.JPG
    825.5 KB · Views: 44

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I know that Kent Polk modified his shoe and put his clip-in cleat basically in the center of his foot. He climbs amazingly!
On my list to do is to design and build a special "recumbent" shoe that rounded on the bottom for better aerodynamics "and" has the ability to put the clip-in cleat anywhere from the ball of the foot to the heal.
Any takers? :p

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I kid you not...
image.png

https://www.backinaction.co.uk/mbt

It's a Masai shoe. I guess if you extended the middle out and put the cleat in the Centre then this would be more aero or why not use the existing shoe with a cover then if you need to walk you just remove the cover?