Presta with the Grizzlies

AbramClark

Woohoo! I did the Presta segment today with the Grizzly Peak cyclists. 80 miles and over 4500 feet of climbing. I've done harder rides on the Silvio, but not this year (I know I know I've been lazy :-|), and probably not this fast, and definitely not this hot. At around mile 50 on a nice downhill going 20-25 mph my front wheel blew out. I fortunately was not making a turn, and simply slowed down and got off the road, but then I started to realize how weird the front fork is on the original Silvio (first front flat on this bike).

Fortunately, I was second to last then, and the last rider caught up to the others and let them know I had a flat. Mark and Doug climbed all the way back up the hill and showed up 10 minutes later and immediately got their hands dirty helping me replace the tube. Once I removed the skewer, the entire front end just falls apart, with the chain stay popping off the fork and pivoting away, and the derailleur dangling on its cable. We ended up having one of us holding the derailleur, another holding the forks, and me squeezing the wheel in. Now that I know how it works, I could do it myself I guess, but I was damn happy to have their help. After a lot of wiggling and generous quantities of road grit distributed between the 3 of us, we finally squeezed everything back together and the three of us continued on at a comparatively leisurely pace (these Grizzly Peak Cyclists are machines on wheels, and the rest had continued on, presumably at their brutal pace).

At mile 60+, we hit the hill of doom on Redwood road. It wasn't even that big of a hill (700-800 feet or so over 6 miles), but I was really tired at that point, and it was about 95 degrees. Several times I really thought we made the summit, where I could see sky and down into the valley, and then it would switch back and keep climbing. I was literally pulling myself up with my chin (never done that before :p). But we were rewarded with a beautiful twisting downhill with decent road surface and hardly any traffic, with big redwoods growing right up against the asphalt, and madrone, bay laurel, and live oaks overhanging the road.

We made it back to the start point without further incident, and I was wiped. We chatted for a bit, then I jumped on the Bart back home. At home I, grabbed some things, swapped the Silvio for my electric Quest, and took the Bart into San Francisco to stay with my friend on Twin Peaks. He fed me a perfect recovery meal: chocolate stout, a cauliflower casserole, and cottage cheese with fruit and cashews, plus some chocolate I never got around to eating on the ride.

All-in-all I'm quite pleased with the ride. Having not done any serious rides all year, I managed alright. Some of the group was kinda laughing at me at the start (in a very friendly way), as I was the only recumbent (another bent rider with a Bacheta showed up later), I was the only one without clip-ins, and the only one not wearing spandex (in shorts and a button up plaid shirt :p). But I was never slowing down the group. The short times I was in the rear, I was drafting and saving up my energy. The rest of the time I was in the middle. And (with a lot of help) I repaired my first front flat on the side of the road :).

SC3ogTB.jpg

Last edited:

mzweili

Guru
Once I removed the skewer, the entire front end just falls apart,
To avoid that mess I carry a re-useable Ty-rap with me.
I turn the Silvio up-side-down, put the Ty-rap around the fork and the chain-stay, so that the derailleur hanger cannot fall out off its location.
This makes the whole operation much easier.
Unfortunately if you let the Ty-rap in place the chain will rub on it.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Exactly what I would expect from that Presta group riders of the Grizzly Peak cyclists. Mark and Mark who frequent that ride and one of which came back to help you are very stand up guys and frequently ride centuries, doubles and beyond. Sadly the one time I brought the Vendetta out to ride with them earlier this year both Mark's were absent and the Presta group who was only 4 riders strong was much slower then I could manage so I ended up losing them very early. Maybe I'll get out to ride the SSR ride with you before years end. These days I just ride the bike from Brentwood to the start and then ether ride back home after or catch as ride back with friends in a car.

I remember one SSR one of my fellow Brentwood riders horrendously bonked and one of the regulars showed us the longer but much flatter way back to the finish avoiding the climb over redwood rd.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The other Recumbent rider on the Bacheta could very well be the same guy who would show up from time to time several years ago. I remember him being very quick and my favorite rider to draft off of, sadly I don't recall his name.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That's part of the reason I ride 30+ miles to the ride then ride the ride. I leave just early enough that I have to hammer the pace the whole way out just to make the start on time then just chill and hang out with my friends. I burnt myself out so bad on Friday I just rode chill with my local group for like 70 miles at a pace that had my heart rate under 100bpm for most the ride.

I key is to match my active recovery riders with other people's epic efforts then we all have fun :lol

AbramClark

... key is to match my active recovery riders with other people's epic efforts then we all have fun :lol

Sounds great, I'd like to plan it out. LMK next time you plan on doing a recovery segment with a group and I'll try to join up. I can PM you my phone number for texting if you'd like.