Project Quickr

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well it's really really cold out now; probably 5 or 6 more potential riding days before it's just too stupid cold to bother.

So it's time for project Quickr, parts are arriving; leftovers from last winter's Silvio builds and this summer's upgrade have been dusted off; a few things need to be ordered yet; and couple part retrieved from storage. But it has begun; because idle hands....

Step 1 - dissemble; measure

QUICKR1.jpg

And reassemble from left overs

QUICKR2.jpg

Plot the possibilities the UPS guy delivered.

QUICKR3.jpg
QUICKR6.jpg

Stay tuned more fun is coming.

Rick you should probably stop reading here.... fair warning.

ratz

Good Bones

Frontal Attack

QUICKR9.jpg

Connective tissue.

QUICKR8.jpg

Good Bones. From a Version 1.

QUICKR7.jpg

Anesthesia, or liquid patience. depending on your perspective for the sanding and painting phase.

QUICKR10.jpg height:225px;

ratz

Day two - Tear down

Remove the bolts

QUICKR-ta1.jpg

Quarantine the rusted parts

QUICKRta2.jpg

Apply Rust Vaccine (perhaps it could cure Ebola too)

QUICKRta3.jpg

Fire up the crank puller

QUICKRta4.jpg

Open up the non drive side BB sleve

QUICKRta6.jpg

Borrow Dad's toys to remove the drive side... (Dad what do those words mean?)

QUICKRta7.jpg

All set for the the next step.

QUICKRta8.jpg

Tomorrow we call the powder coater to see if we are going to paint now while appart and ready for cleaning or whether that will wait until spring.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
How did the rusty parts turn

How did the rusty parts turn out? Any photos?

What colour is the Quest V1.0 going to end up as??
Vendetta Red? Or Vendetta Yellow?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Whichever colour you choose,

Whichever colour you choose, I hope it's not "Shocker Yellow"; I've already laid claim to that one. ;-)

Photo%20Oct%2011%2C%204%2034%2002%20PM.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Andrew, that looks a lot like

Andrew, that looks a lot like "Screaming Green"
regular_smile.gif
! However, that's a fantastic color for a Quest, or ...!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That's a stunning job,

That's a stunning job, especially on the large head stem bolt!
Thanks for the procedure!

SS

ratz

Them Bolts Them Bolts.

As requested here are the cleaned up bolts. Guess I didn't think people would be that interested in that detail.

For those that are It is:

1. 4 hours in Coke that eats up the grease and loosen the weak rust.
2. Rinse in hot water and dry
3. Place in old water bottle with lemon juice and a lot of salt.
4. Agitate bottle. Repeat every 30-40 minutes.
5. After 2-3 hours remove and clean.
6. Buff with a wet sanding sponge (purple in pic #1)
7. Large nickel plated surfaces that had a lot of rust; apply clear nail polish to protect.
EDIT (optional step I omitted): If they are really rusty depending on the metal add step 2a. Soak in vinegar and baking soda over night, in a seal bottle. That's particularly effective on small parts or the inside of screw heads that can't be wet sanded. I this case the Coke took care of this srew heads to my satisfaction that I didn't bother. Each of the three trick attacks a different part of the chemical process. The order of the steps does matter; Once you do lemon juice, then the vinegar is far less effective. I don't know why, I just know the order matters. Learned this from Grandpa; just like I learned to clean car headlight plastic with OFF! Mosquito repellant. Man was a car restoring magician.

Cleaning the bolts was only slightly less gross than opening the bottom bracket. The BB had really nasty smelling water in it. Same as the one I rehabbed last spring. Forgot about that until it squirted out all over the place just like last time.

QUICKR-Cln1.jpg
QUICKR-Cln2.jpg

Daughters into this boring green color now; so Andrew is safe. She wants PMS 3285.

Ivan

Guru
Ratz, great stuff about the

Ratz, great stuff about the rusty bolts! I learned something new! I will have to do this sometime on my Silvio -- never thought about applying nail varnish. Should have done that when new. Thanks!!

So Coke Zero > Coke Light > Coke regular ? :)

ratz

Diet, Zero, Sugar

Diet Coke, Best
Coke Zero, Good
Regular Coke, Ok

Pretty sure mythbusters did a special on all the things coke can clean.

For Nickel plated bolts once rusted and clean; the polish is a must or they re-rust in about a week because the steel is unprotected and compromised.

The nail polish is useful for a number of items including: Carbon Seat Pan Repair, Protecting Bolts, bonding shift/brake cable ends when you cut them. Nail polish can completely replace the little metal crimp on cable ends if you like, but I do both.

Oh and while we are at it; Window Cleaner (ammonia based) is the absolute only cleaner to use on Nylon carpet and upholstered furniture; but that another whole conversation.

Hopefully on Saturday/Sunday I'll have something interesting bike related to update on the project. Powder coat guy and I will finish our conversation tomorrow.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
O love that Screaming Green!

I think it would look great on a V!
Maybe V20 3.0?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
What? Diet Coke, if it can

What? Diet Coke, if it can clean rust from bolts, what can it clean from the stomach lining? I'm glad I don't drink the stuff!

Anyway, great job on refurbishing the bolts and pasts.

But, my votes in for the whatever color Andrew posted - "Slim Green"!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Colors

Not wanting to derail the thread...

Rob: It looks exactly like Catrike's Eon Green to me. Does Catrike do paint or powder? If it's powder, I'd say it's identical to my "Shocker Yellow".

Larry: I'd like to see the color on a Vendetta, but how about on a first-generation Silvio instead?

Ratz: [I assume that's your real name, right? ;-)] PMS 3285 is a great color; it could be jazzed up with a sparkle or pearl coat. What young girl won't approve of sparkles?

Finally, thank for the tips on rust removal. I've tried using naval jelly, deck cleaner, and electrolysis, but usually I just end up buying new hardware.

ratz

yeah I suppose it's time.

Yeah I suppose it's time I create a proper signature for here....

Too busy riding all summer.

ratz

I get that

I get that about that bikes too. Guess that will just force me to write longer posts to balance it out. Could use a website, but too busy to get the websites out of mothballs and updated. http://mylifeinrecline.com and http://biggreenbike.com some day. Perhaps those will come back in 2015 we lost 2 of our authors and the momentum; and now we have to expand the focus to include MBB. :)

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bob, I took a look at your

Bob, I took a look at your sites. I like the logo on the mylifeinrecline.com, and I like the format of the home page on biggreenbike.com. I think you have a lot of great biking info to offer up to us beginners. Content is king!

I'm starting to find time to get my personal website going - actually converting my business site to my personal website rickyoungblood.com, mostly into image galleries. And more detail into my custom seat builds and thoughts and comparisons with the different recumbents I've owned. And other personal fun junk. It will be like my junk drawer.

My fall project is adapting the Silvio with an adjustable rear bracket for the fun of it - go from 27 to 45 degrees. I'm interested to see what a Silvio 1.0-1.5 feels like with it's 45 degree seat angle.