Project Quickr

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Decals

https://doityourselflettering.com

Not mine, but an example of what you can create. It just take time playing with the font, styles, size, spacing,
landshark.jpg

Here's one I created that looks like it could be a logotype:
3203.gif

Here's a "Cruzbike" one in black and silver I've created for my Silvio (maybe):
i4319.gif

The only thing I'm not keen on is the kerning between the k and the e, but you can do a custom request and they can make adjustments like that. :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Putting the Ickr into Quickr.

The snow is here and so is the Quickr.

Time to back up here and stop being cute. The goal of this project here was obviously to go Quicker and it's really a three goal project. We have hit mile stone number 1 just in time for the snow.

Goal 1: Make the Quest a little lighter for pulling the trailer next season. The kids are not getting lighter and they will both be in the trailer again next year. The internal hub is great but it's heavy and the stock wheels aren't going to set any coast down records.

Goal 2. Get the last of the Quest frames into service because the boy will be big enough to ride one next year. So I need another frame in road condition.

Goal 3. Setup a trainer for both Mrs Ratz and I so we can be quicker in spring right out of the gate.

So where are we in the project?

I received the quote from the powder coating shop and it was pretty darn good for an 11 piece project at $400. The orange pieces of the Q1 frame will be emerald green with gloss and fleck; and the black pieces (sans seat post; and top slider) will be star-dust black (red and gold flecks in the black). I forgot to have the bash guard done might half to do that later. Parts will be back in about 2 weeks. Work included the baking off of the old paint; sanding and filling the gashes in the aluminum, powder coasting (base + clear). I still have to come up with some sort of decals for the Q1 post coating. Any ideas out there?

So with the Q1 at the coating ship it was time to move on to making the Q2 a touch lighter and potentially more nimble. It should be noted the Q1 is being re-coated because its paint job was destroyed. The Q2 on the other had is in great condition.

The first step was to swap a key part from the Q1 and the Q2. The Q1 shipped with a front derailleur so its boom has an advantage that the 2 and the 3 don't. It has a braze-on, on the under side of the boom for a cable pulley. I think it is a shame that has been dropped from the current frames; as bikes age they often get retooled and that braze-on really adds option.

So the Q2 boom went to the powder coating shop and the Q1 boom has found a home on the Q2 frame.

QUICKR-Rev2-1.jpg

Next up was pulling almost all the the components from the Q2. The Q2's wheels, brakes; and controls will all go on to the Q1 frame when it returnes. The disc bakes braze-ons will need a little filing to make the BB5's fit, but otherwise everything will transfer nicely. Pictures of the final Q1 will follow ones it's back and re-assembled.

So next up on the Q2 was to mount the double chainring on the frame. This is a 50/34 made from the SRAM rings that came off the Silvio's compact double. I ran at 52/36 on the Silvio, but you can't buy that combo so the 50/34 rings have been in a drawer since last spring. They mounted nicely on to the existing crank arms. In this case, the crank arms and bottom bracket are spares I ordered last spring to repair these Q1's. They are stock Cruzbike parts. For a simple square taper unit, the new bottom bracket is quite good. While the one I removed was really dragging from age, the fresh one spins and spins and spins.

I had to stop and make an adjustment to my parts at this point. I had mistakenly purchased the X5 front derailleur. I didn't check the spec closely. While it was not listed anywhere (other than deep inside the user manual) the X5 can only handle at 42 max chain ring. So a quick drive to the bike shopped produced a Braze-on SRAM Rival Front Derailleur. Fortunately the Q1 had an excellent aluminum front derailleur bracket which I re-used and saved a few bucks on the derailleur style. The clamp on model is 30$ more.

As a note here; the original Q1 and I assume the Softriders must have a special long cage front derailleur. The ones we got used had been upgrade to Shimano components, with a standard derailleur. The boom can't be made shorter than Position 4 with a normal cage length derailleur or the chain will rub on the cage due to the angle of attack on the chain. That caught me off guard; but this bike will only be set in the range of 6-8 so we'll be all good. Something to consider though if a short person where to do this.

Also of importance is the special boom clamp recovered from the Q1. Notice the cable stop for the front derailleur that is hanging down from the clamp. This allows the boom to move without the derailleur coming out of tune. Very important for Goal #3 of this project.

Lastly at the bottom is the X5 rear derailleur. I really like the way the MTB cable routing lines up on this nice little derailleur, versus a road unit. The x5 cage is a tad long for the 451 wheels. I adjusted for this by making the chain about 3 links shorter than normal; that was enough to move the arm to a more forward position and not so close to the ground. I still have full shifting range.

At this point we are using the original wheels from the Q1; in spring I'll have a nice pair of Velocity rims built; using Hope Evo hubs. That will drop a some weight and make the bike roll and roll and roll. I had similar wheels built for the Catrike700 and the difference with those MTB hubs is amazing. But that will be several months out. At this point, for setup and tuning the components, the Q1 wheels are fine.

QUICKR-Rev2-3.jpg

Next up was the shifters. I went with the XX twist shifters. The Original Q had twist shifters so I decided to stay with that versus trying to use triggers or thumbies. I read some review for the XX's and decided that I liked the reports that they shifted as quick and reliably as the highend brifters. Since I will eventually be pulling a heavy trailer with this bike while trying to keep up with Mrs Ratz; I wanted smooth shifting. Lessor shifters would have been fine, but I really like these, they are the one splurge on the project. A nice touch is the outer silver clamp which ensures these grips won't slide off the bars like the stock Dual drive ones always seem to do.

I've used the stock avid break levers; These are the ones from the Q2 frame. I will have to get new ones for the Q1 frame; the Q1 had really old Tektro ones that had seen far better days. Since I had to have brake levers on first, before mounting the XX's; there are the ones that got used adding them later would have been a pain. We don't actually need brakes for this phase of the project; but I didn't think I would want to pull the shifters later. The final build is going to get Mechanical TRP Spyres or Cable pull hydralic TRP Hy/Rd, I might go hydro just because with the tailer, kids, cargo and me, this baby will have a rolling weight close to 350-380 pounds.

But for now; no brakes are needed.

QUICKR-Rev2-2.jpg

So here's the resulting drive train; up in the bike stand so that I can tune it up. The Gear inches on this setup is 24.6 - 92.0, I can get that down to 21.5 with a wipfli cassette or 19.1 with an MTB 36T cassette. I picked the X5 because it could handle that many teeth but sill work within the diameter of the 451 wheel. As it is this compares favorably to the DD stock gear inches of 23.6-94.9

QUICKR-Rev2-4.jpg

Ok and finally we get to the first milestone of this project. We are in the process of getting 12-14 inches of snow as I compose this post, so it's just in time. (Notice the plastic on the windows (yeah I know I need to shrink it, ran out of tape))

I present to you the Quickr. Cruzbike Quest + Wahoo Kickr

?Indoor trainer for the winter. Adjustable so that both I and Mrs Ratz can ride it. The seat angle is currently 45 degrees but we can adjust that to match the Silvios seat angle; by moving the seat or raising the kickr. We'll probably adjust the seat; for the longer winter. Raising the Kickr would put unwelcome abnormal strain on the front fork at an oblique angle.

The next step is to learn to use the Kickr. Out of the box it's darn slick. I'll post some photos of the software in action once I get it figured out and working well.

I envision this Q2 frame living on this training all winter. During the summer it will spend week days in this configuration for rainy day training and fitness. (We had very little rain during the day this last year; that's abnormal, we usually loose 1/5 of our days to rain minimum. ) On the weekends when we do the full family rides she'll come off this rig and get a front wheel that's compatible and properly geared for pulling the trailer.

QUICKR-Rev2-5.jpg

Next Milestone will be the Q1 frame back from the shop; and reassembled (in complete stealth, for Daughter's Christmas Present); She knows about the above; but not where the other parts went, nor what I'm up to. I should have the parts back after Thanksgiving. Once assembled I'll get that posted. If it turns out as good as our last rehab the result should be pleasant.

Also need to find a bracket to mount an ipad on the handle bars for running the training software.

Till next time...

ratz

Perfect

Thanks Eric that's perfect and cheap. Parts ordered.

Since this thread is Project Quickr I was going to take yet another tangent and test software and report how it works

On the list is

Wahoo Fitness App (Manual Training)
Wahoo Segments (Ride old sides from the summer)

Trainer Road (Structured Training)
iMobileIntervals (Structured Training on the cheap)

KinoMapTraining (Virtual training with video for base miles )
CVT Mobile (Virtual training from cycleops)
FulGaz (Virtual training startup)

I started with just a little familiarization with a few of these

Segments is cool; riding a ride you know really well is surprisingly accurate. I appears if you don't ride the entire ride it doesn't save the work out data. Flaw is that it's only designed to ride segments which tend to be short. I have converted several rides into segments that would be appropriate for base mail training (see below).

KinoMap is very nice. They allow you to submit video and TCX files that they will convert to public virtual rides that other people can then ride. With the Rideye about to ship that has some very interesting possibilities.

Here's a list of segments I'm going to play with:

8492473 - 30 miles at the lake 5 laps counter clockwise rolling 500ft
8492471 - 30 miles at the lake 5 laps clockwise rolling 500ft
8492460 - 25 miles out and back medium hills
8492491 - 20 miles Flat ride below the lakes
8492411 - 20 miles Valley up, Valley down
8492430 - 18 miles base mile easy climb
8492446 - 15 mile recovery ride
8492483 - 13 mile recovery ride
1942129 - 12 mile fit test
8191478 - 11 miles rolling climb

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Another thought is to hook

Another thought is to hook into a large TV/home theater via your iPad or iPhone. Presumably with something like Apple TV or one of the streaming products. I'm not sure about the resulting quality and performance of either the graphics display or the videos.

I understand the videos can vary widely in quality and resolution so results may vary quite a bit.

-Eric

ratz

ATV will be tested

Across the room from me is a TV with an ATV on it (we cut the cable tv cord, 7 years ago).; But it's not in a good position to be the main bike display, but it's something I'll test and report on. The kids might have a fit if I put the trainer front and center in the play room. :)

KickR is down for 2 days. I got it from a bike shop and apparently it was on the shelf for a while; I appear to have one with a bad speed sensor. It now says that at 300w I am traveling 8 mph. So they are over nighting me a new sensor. I must say that over the years I have had random problem with wahoo's cutting edge stuff; but consistently their support is first class; it's always addressed with 24hr's, they are definitely a notch above most companies on that regard.

ratz

Meanwhile back in the Bike shop

So this arrived today.

QUICKR-Grn1.jpg

Star dust black

QUICKR-Grn2.jpg

QUICKR-Grn3.jpg

Emerald green with fleck and clear coat

QUICKR-Grn4.jpg

Different in the light versus the dark; looks great in the sun light.

QUICKR-Grn5.jpg

Off to the bike ship for a chase and face of the bottom bracket.

QUICKR-Grn6.jpg

of course the bike shop scratcedh the new paint... grrr but at least it is in a spot no one will be able to see.

So now I have to get those screws done so I can start to assemble it and then hide for Christmas.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Looks great! Is that a Q 1,

Looks great! Is that a Q 1, 2, or 3?

Very interesting sparkle black. Would like to see the color in person.

Looking forward to the finished project!

ratz

Sparkles Framesets

That is the Q1 from post #4. In the dark from the distance the bike will look black; up close it will look dark green and black; in the sun light it will look light green with black that sparkles the affect is pretty cool.

ratz

Edited to restore missing photos from forum upgrade.

Post Prep round 1

Time to pieces it back together.

GreenMachine1.jpg

New Drive Train

GreenMachine3.jpg

Avid Brakes and Ventisit Seat

GreenMachine4.jpg

Ready For new logos. Going to leave that task to the wife; she's the clever one for that stuff.

GreenMachine5.jpg

Gratuitous Glitter Fork.

GreenMachine6.jpg

Gripping the glitter

GreenMachine7.jpg

The green really looks like 3 different greens depending on the lighting but alas we have no sunslight right now

GreenMachine8.jpg

Cable wrap and of course one cable is too short.

GreenMachine9.jpg

One rusty clamp bolt that resists my efforts.

GreenMachine10.jpg

That's it for this one for a while. Time to stash it until we get the logos; and then to put a bow on it.

Attachments

• GreenMachine2.jpg
    GreenMachine2.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I am green with envy

That is a really, really nice looking Quest, Bob!

I really like the Ventisit seat pad and the cable wrap idea.

I've found the Ventisit on my velo is very comfortable and provides better air flow than the Cruzbike pads.

In lieu of your cable wrap I had used a small strip of velcro to bundle the cables together but it tended to slide down from the location that worked the best and I was frequently having to reposition it.

The other issue I had on my Quest loaner was the cables rubbed off some of the paint on the head tube where they curve around it. You might consider going for more slack there or put a protective strip of some sort there.

-Eric

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Classy Looking Bike

When I see that shade of green, it makes me think of a proper touring bike with a Brooks saddle and leather handlebar tape. However, this Cruzbike seat is a much nicer place to sit than a Brooks.

Speaking of seats, how do you affix the Ventisit pad to the seat pan?

ratz

Velcro is from Aliens

The the Ventisit comes with Velcro built into the pad down the center. You can see the seat pan piece attached in Post #20 of this thread. That big piece of wide velcro on the orange seat pan is what you use. Works really well. The pad in these photos was just for show so no Velcro to photograph. I still have to order the pad, for this bike when spring gets here; they take about a week to get here, but we really do prefer them for a dryer ride.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Actually, Velcro comes from downed weather balloons.

I wouldn't have thought Velcro was up to the task. Good to know!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
How many clear coats were

How many clear coats were installed as it looks DEEP!!!

With the light behind you the colour and metal flake jump out at you!!

What type of paint shop did you use, Car, Bike or Industrial?

ratz

Specialization Matters

The paint shop specializes in bikes and motorcycles. They where working on 3 bikes the day I arrived and had 2 in prep the day I picked up my finished parts.

This was their standard powder coating, but the stuff they use is formulated for this use; they have about 400 colors hanging on the wall; but about 30 of them are best for this function. They even have the exact Quest Orange.

So this one was three color green, a base plus two glitters and a clear. When it bakes, as far as I understand, the clear rises to the top; the base sticks to the metal, and the glitters float in the clear. Don't quote me that just how it was quickly explained to me. End result was pretty darn nice; I can assure you that it looks a lot better in person that it does in the photos. The black is pretty cool on it's own. I could see doing an entire bike in that black; it would look great and you'd never see the dirt on the frame.

jimbo3b

Time to get out the wallet

Every time I see a post on this website I see a new item that's going to cost me something! What a beautiful one-of-a-kind bike.

ratz

The details can get you

Jim,

Thanks I can't wait to photograph it in the sun light this spring.

The real trick is avoiding the one more thing sydrome; tonight I got sucked into looking at Green Chains from KMC, and green bar tape from Lizard Skins :) Which means I'll be able to resist that for about 6 months then we'll have to get it. (The 3 law)

Here's the cool part though; We have two Quests that started out as V1 that I picked up used; Both are up and running now only one was last summer. With some patience; hunting; luck; strategic new items; generous favors; and elbow grease; they are both now version 2's and the cost was just slightly higher that 1 new Quest. I still have one of them that needs powder coating; After all the work on all the quests are done; we'll have essentially have 4 quests, 1.5 of which was free. That's was the plan from the start but it is playing the long game over 2 years. I originally thought we'd wind up with 1 for free but I got some help along the way.

These Quests have great bones; if someone puts an old v1 or v2 up for sale I say pounce on it; even if it take you a year to finish the project you'll be glad you did. Oh and they are darn fun to ride.