Project Quickr

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
There's an app for that

So actual training has begun. Application evaluation is under way to find stuff that works. Stop reading now if this stuff bores you.

I'm not DCRainmaker and I don't play him on TV. I'm only documenting what I'm doing to help myself think through all the possibilities. See the pros for real reviews.

EDIT: So go figure... While I was doing this evaluation I completely miss DC's review of the same apps that came out in the middle of last week. The Review is very comprehensive and leads me to the same final conclusions I made, but with a heck of a lot less work. The comparison grid is really good too.

For me these evaluations are always painful. I collect a ton of possible apps, evaluated the costs, features and applicability to what I'm trying to do. Figure out which "purchase" ones are cancelable and those highly testable. It's time consuming, but ultimately I usually can get down to a set that works. The hard part is always dropping the apps that "almost" work, because they might get better.

So First background that affects my evaluations:

Gear: There are two bikes in the pain cage: The Quickr electronic power trainer from the beginning of this thread. The Vendetta with a power meter on the Kurt Kinetic trainer. The Quicker is the shared trainer in this house; while the Vendetta is so I can remain acclimated to the 20 degree recline and so I can learn to use the Di2 system on reflex before spring. I will be training on both.

Environment: I work from my home office so, in Winter here in MN; if I leave the house once a week to grocery shop that's probably the most walking I see. I'm not lazy, I just don't have anything that forces me to go into the sub zero weather. Because of that stationary existence winter training does not have many "zero" ride rest days. There will be requirement to do regular recovery rides on the trainer every day just to keep blood flowing thorough the legs. That means their may be boring days on the trainer to combat. However, I'd rather ride the trainer than go walking in the -15F weather that is soon to arrive. (Yes there are outdoor sports, but my youngest kids are still just a tad to little to do that safely below 20F.).

Training Buddies: Lastly I'm working with a small group of others that are also training, and many of them can "use" this tech but aren't inclined to research it; and many don't use power meters or power trainers; so I'm keeping alternatives for them in my mind as I figure this out. They help me with encouragement if I can help them with tools then that's a cool ecosystem.

So first off I have Eliminated the apps I'm not going to use; this part was done mostly reading and doing just some basic testing over the last 3 weeks.

Any Laptop only base apps - With the availability of Phone and Tablet based software; I have no desire to setup a laptop next to the bike/trainer on a clunky table or stand and sweat on it. The apps are cool, but I am more comfortable avoiding those options. (Note: two of my three prefered solutions have laptop versions for those that do like that approach)

Wahoo Fitness App (Manual Training) - Nothing wrong with the app; it's the one I use on the road to record rides. But for the power trainer it only offers manual control of the trainer and I'm not into doing "spin" videos that guide you through a manually controlled workout. I find that kind of training dreadfully boring and not productive because I will simply cheat. - Still free and useful for basic testing.

Wahoo Segments (Ride old sides from the summer) - This is cool, but it's flawed. Segments are typically two short to do any real training on. Entire rides can be made into segments but that causes you to collect false and useless KOMs. If you ride a 10 mile segment and stop at mile 9; the log of your training is discarded and can't be loaded into any tracking system. Nice concept; incomplete implementation. No reason for anyone to buy this.

iMobileIntervals (Structured Training on the cheap) - If you like DOS programs from years gone by; and are will to design and enter you interval training on a iPhone or iPad on a clunky interface then this program will work for you. I find nothing that this program can't do for interval training; but it's far to work to setup for my tastes; I can do it; I just don't want to spend the time on it. I find it to be a bit like like Cyclemeter; good at what it does but oh my far to many setting and features; and in some cases lacking in logical organization.

FulGaz (Virtual training startup) - Great looking startup; but they have been having some video delivery problems; and they require that you have a power trainer to use it. No support for power meter only mode. Nothing wrong with it per-say just better options, so I'm skipping it.

So that leaves me with the three apps I'm going to actively use.

CVT Mobile (Virtual training from cycleops)
Trainer Road (TrainerRoad.com)
KinoMap Training

Stay tuned for how and why.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Well done, Bob!
I like giving

Well done, Bob!

I like giving gifts like that. (Years ago I gave my sister and her husband DVDs as their present, before I gave them a DVD player - OK it was quite a bit ago...)

ratz

Wheels of a different sort

Ok it looks like Project Quickr is back in the queue because the fedex man brought gifts this morning

4x451 in fact.

1 Drive wheel; 1 rear wheel for Quickr
2 wheels for the Burley to make it go much faster; (when the burley retires these will upgrade other quests)

IMG_3982.JPG

A little DT SWISS in an A23 wrapper

IMG_3981.JPG

Now just need tubes, tires and disc brakes. I sense the onset of no-sleep season.
Also known as "oh crap I better get bikes finished season."

ratz

New Shoes

Got some good time in the bike shop this weekend; otherwise known as the wife was really sick so it was sleep on the couch or pull an allnighter working on bikes. yeah no contest there.

First up on got the Shoes onto the new 451 wheels for the Burley trailer. I simply love the older burley trailer from 2008 ish (easy to find on Craiglist) because they use a regular front wheel. So now I have a trailer rolling on DTSwiss 350. So mount the best 28x451 Duranos I had laying around

NewShoes.jpg

Dig the trailer out of the garage and poof

NewShoes1.jpg

The trailer is older and the tires had saged over time so that the were toe out at the bottom versus the top. This next photo is the clearance BEFORE I make adjustments to fix that. So even if it sages there should be enough clearance for the 451's Stock wheels for 406's but I want to eventually reuse these wheel on the other quests when the trailer is retired.

NewShoes2.jpg

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Nice. The TRP hybrids are

Nice. The TRP hybrids are awesome. WAY nicer from a bike mechanic standpoint than a full hydraulic setup.

Robert

ratz

Be sure you can slow down

Edit: bigger photos those where to hard to see.

Part two of the marathon session was to mount the ne TRP HY/RD disc brakes on to the modified Quest 451.

First off this setup was the first time I have used HY/RD's after researching the heck out of them. I was not disappointed. This was the easiest Disc brake to install and tune that I have yet to work with.

I got a 140mm for the rear and a 160mm for the front.

NewShoes%20(1).jpg

The brakes come with everything that is needed; brake, rotor and frame brackets. The mounting of the front of course used the "rear" adapter.

NewShoes4.jpg
NewShoes5.jpg

I happened to have a Quest with Avid BB5's on it in the next room and when I compare them the they are about the same size and take up the same space on the frame as the avids.

NewShoes6.jpg
NewShoes7.jpg
NewShoes8.jpg

Cabling and adjusting was supper simple:

1) screw in the lock-out bolt on the brake.

2) Insert the wire; pull wired "hand taunt" and screw down.

3) Unscrew the lock-out;

4) Squeeze brake hard 3 times.

5) Squeeze and hold brake handle and tighten the brake to the mounting arms.

6) Squeeze brakes 3 times and spin wheel; perfectly adjusted first try.

Simply amazing. This will be my disc brake of choice for any Cruzbike projects or upgrades going forward. Next round of winter funding is going to see this on all the other Quests; having a self adjust brake will save Dad the mechanic so much annoying work.

As I got more tired I forgot to take finished photos. I didn't have Duranos for the RIM so I I'll get another round of photos when the tires get here and get mounted.

ratz

Most Definately

Robert,

I'm still in shock how well they work. This is one of those hmmmm Cruzbike should lead the way and offer these as a standard upgrade option on the website for the Quest and the V20/S30 discbrake pre-builds. Obviously you have to clear up past inventory and all that stuff related to business etc etc; but unless the on the road performance sucks I can't see recommending anyone anything else. I probably wasted 2 extra hours just playing with them because they were so cool. Simulated changing the pads and it was too easy. Removed the wheel; never had to readjust. simply too cool. All the benefits of self-adjusting modulation without the hassle of new levers and hydraulic cables.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Love the brakes, if I ever do

Love the brakes, if I ever do disc again, those will be the way I go. I'm a big fan of hydraulic over mechanical, but not having to size, cut, bleed and the hoses, especially when they run through the frame. This et up make it a no-brainer.

Bob, when is your "FERD" (first expected ride date)
regular_smile.gif
?

ratz

It's 25F and sunny today;

It's 25F and sunny today; roads are dry it's almost time. Probably another 2-3 weeks before I can justify rolling outside versus indoors.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Oh good! 25F that's cold. I

Oh good! 25F that's cold. I can't imaging riding a bike in that, however, I have ridden ATV's in the teens, and even with goggles my eyelashes froze together.

Jeremy S

Dude
 That picture made my day,

teeth_smile.gif
That picture made my day, thank you Eric. I'm seeing some 1980's Batmobile in that windshield.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
My 25F bike

This one is pretty comfy in 25F:

Edit: I didn't mean to hijack Bob's thread. I just couldn't resist the opening Rick gave me... I'll put an entry in the community section to answer questions about my velomobile.

-Eric

ratz

First Ride..... First Flat

Finally got Quickr all finished up for the road season. Turned out pretty good. Of course it was warms so I had take it around the block and promptly forgot about a manhole and got a pinch flat and a minor ding in the new rims. *sigh*

Before the flat I was taken aback by how light and nibble the front end was in this configuration, at first because I'm use to a DualDrive on the nose, it was twitchy feeling. Power from the 50/34T - 11-28 seems to be just about right for hauling the trailer.

Now we just need get some warm weather........ an a new spare tube.

QuickrFin1.jpg
QuickrFin2.jpg
QuickrFin3.jpg
QuickrFin4.jpg
QuickrFin5.jpg
QuickrFin6.jpg
QuickrFin7.jpg

ratz

Quickr got one of the final planned upgrades today.

Swapped out the Apex Front Derailluer for a Force 22 YAW Derailleur; which then facilitated install the Longer Chain stay for the 26" version.

QuikrLonger1.jpg

The goal here was to raise the feet on this 20" Quest so that it would be similar to the foot height of the Silvio's. Since this one pinch hits on the trainer we figure that would get us better training of the muscle in. The longer chain line of the 26" stay dramatically changes the chain line for the better. After doing this; I can safely say that all the quests should should with this longer stay even with small wheel; and the short stay could probably just be a low inventory option for that that need the suitcase packing option.

So with the Derailleur based front Wheel; lighter A23 Rims, Road Tires and road Group set. We have a really nice Road bike with a 43 degree seat position adjust range is 56-37 without and real problems (imagine that :rolleyes:). The frame is outstandingly nimble now that it's been free'd of the weight of the Dual drive; Throw some 650c or 700c wheels on this and it would be a fair fight with a DF; with the 20" wheel it's just plan fun and great for hauling the trailer down the road.

For the record this has the XX twist shifers as show early with the yaw and the longer chain it shifts just Sick good; easily as crisp as the 10speed force setup on my Silvio. Not to bad for a bike born of parts from a used Q1 and Q2.

Project done; bring on the next one.

Attachments

• QuikrLonger2.jpg
    QuikrLonger2.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 6

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob, what was the RUBBER MALLET used for this time???

Does the 20" Durano Quest roll down a hill as well as a 26" Quest?

Do the TRP HY/RD hydraulic over cable disks give you more feel, than mechanical disks, when towing the family in the trailer?

ratz

Bob, what was the RUBBER MALLET used for this time???
That's becoming a bit like where's waldo. The Forks on that old frame are a bit warped where the chain stay goes on. Takes a little grease and a little persuading to get it install.

Does the 20" Durano Quest roll down a hill as well as a 26" Quest?
If find the 20" more stable. The 26" Quest is always a little squirrels for me but I don't ride that one very often.

Do the TRP HY/RD hydraulic over cable disks give you more feel, than mechanical disks, when towing the family in the trailer?

Much more dyanmic range. But they are "road" based so I had to swap out the mtb levers to flat board road levers to get that improvement.