PSA - This is why you don't ride during a thunderstorm

Lightning struck this tree and blew all of the bark and limbs off. Had anyone been under/near it at the time, they would have been shocked, deafened, blinded, then crushed by the limbs.

upload_2015-6-23_20-16-6.png

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Impressive!

There's a story on FB about a woman in Baton Rouge who, during that same storm, risked life and limb by going out in the midst of it to retrieve the American flag that had been blown down at her place of employment. Hats off to her, and to Baton Rouge.

Martinius Berg

Its good to know that the rubber tyres on a bicycle won't lead the power although a person can get hit by lightning when standing nearby a tree or out in a field easily. Chances this happens is very little but bad things happens :( . In our valley storms and lightning are one of the main causes animals like cows and horses get hurt and sometimes people to. The warm and cold weather clouds mixed give tremendous energy. A little cumulus nimbus water cloud careers 6 tons of water . a rather bigger one 120 ton and makes the same energy equal to an atomic bomb. Amazing and scary.

New american scientific reports made by people measured in a ballon that cruised all a long the coast of america.

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Meh, my chances of dying from a lightning strike are so remote in comparison to that of getting hit and killed.
I just bike through the T-Storms, unless it starts hailing, or I was dry before it started :)

Martinius Berg

I have to correct myself in telling you guys that lighting will not hit bikers when riding on rubber tyres. I just hit an article that says the opposite. It is in the contrary very dangerous to be near lightning storms with a bike and rubber tires can not prevent anyone to get hurt. So be careful if you live in a part of the US where lightning storms are common.

Martinius.