Puncture Proof Tyres on a Quest

I've cracked it after a run of punctures on my Quest and I'm looking into getting some Tannus flat free tyres. Being the sort who rides but isn't too technical I'm not sure whether they'd be suitable. So I come seeking the counsel of the forum gods.
I'm currently using Maxxis Detonator tyres that is 26" x 1". There is a Tannus tyre that is 26" x 1 & 3/8". Tannus also say that the rims need to be clincher rims. I think that they are clinchers, but I'm not sure. I took a photo in case anyone hear still has, or remembers, these rims.
Any and all advice will be much appreciated.rsz_001.jpg

ThomasW

Those are clincher rims. :)
Going from Maxxis Detonator to Tannus tyres means going from one extreme to the other. Choosing tyres means balancing out tyre weight vs. susceptibility to punctures.
Personally I am using Continental Sport Contact 42-559. They are not really sportive, but for me it's the perfect compromise. Maybe the Tannus ones are perfect for you. Please don't forget to post a review after using them for a while. I'm still considering them for my folding bike.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I've got Tannus tires on my commuter Cruzbike. They're slower than good tires by a fair bit, but they are puncture proof.

If you had two sets of rims, it would make the switch less crazy. You could switch back and forth.

Thanks Thomas and Charles.

I've struggled to find good tyres at a price I can afford in Australia. I've cycled through so many of the Maxxis, and I only dawdle about on my bike, so the Tannus seem like a no brainer.

Thomas, apparently Tannus are gold for folders that have a back wheel that is a fiddle to deal with. Yesterday I read as many reviews of the Tannus as I could find and most recommended them for single speeds and folders that are used for commuting. Not one review recommended them for racing.

Charles,
Have you had any problems with wheel damage?
The LBS said that the firmness of the tannus tyre means that the spokes and rims end up absorbing more of the road.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
B.t.w. unless I missed somthing, 26" x 1 & 3/8" does not fit on 26" x 1" rim becuase 26" x 1 & 3/8" uses ISO 590 rim , while 26" x 1" uses ISO 559 rim. Thought it important to note.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I believe the RIMar dc-17 wheels are 559s...and clinchers.

Looking at the Tannus site, it appears that they only offer the "City/All Terrain" tire in that specific size.

BrianA

When I owned a MK1 Quest I fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus wheelchair tyres (26" x 1" ). They are not cheap but virtually bulletproof. Before I purchased them I checked with Schwalbe Australia to ensure that they are safe to use on a bicycle and had no problems (or punctures) with them during my ownership and in fact sold the bike with the tyres still on it. They are a bit difficult to source but I believe Wheelchair Sales at Preston NSW stock them at $105.00 ea. Tel: 02 9607 2233 or email: info@wheelchairsales.com.au

Thanks trapdoor2 and BrianA,

The 559 Tannus Thoroki is 26" x 1.75". I think I'd need a new rim as it would probably be lack the width to bed the tyre. I also wonder whether that size tyre would allow for clearance for the fork. There is only a small gap there now with the 26" x 1". The more I think about it the more it seems that I'd need to move the 20" rims to set something up with the Tannus. The Schwalbe Maration Plus wheelchair looks the goods. I've got them on my cargo and df tourer and think that I've only ever had one puncture across both bikes.

Thanks again to everyone whose chipped in with advice.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Charles,
Have you had any problems with wheel damage?
The LBS said that the firmness of the tannus tyre means that the spokes and rims end up absorbing more of the road.

I haven't but I mine are are relatively new with low miles (I'm only putting on 20 miles a week).

The newer tires V2 are softer than the old ones (I've got V1) and will subject wheels to less damage.

I wouldn't put them on very expensive rims, but otherwise you're likely to be o.k.