Q-Rings, input please

Suz

After Jim wrote his article on his latest climbing setup, I've noticed quite a few people using Rotor Q-Rings. Are they really worth the money? What benefits have you found using the Q-rings?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I use them a could definitely tell a difference after I installed them. I did not have any power meter at the time to take scientific readings.
I do have a set of the newer XQL Q-rings and will hopefully be getting around to testing them against the "regular" version on different slopes. At that time, it would make sense to put my old rings back on so I have 3 distinct data points to compare.
Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath (sorry) - it will most likely be in May or June when I can get a round to it.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Suz, I think they are worth the money. I won't ride without them. I find that I can usually ride the next gear up using the same amount of energy. The folks with watt meters may have some numbers. I put them on all of my bikes. Once you get used to them, riding a round ring feels like it's egged shaped.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The best part of the Q-rings is that going up hill the ring feels smaller and going down hill it feel bigger. It just works so you get more range on your gearing. If you ask Mark Stonich of BikeSmithDesign he'll always tell you to get Q-ring to go with your custom shorter cranks.

I'm running 52/36 in front on both bikes paired with 12-28 on the back of the V and 11-32 on the Silvio. For Rick's/Robert's hills I'd probably want a 11-40 on the back. I usually like to have 1 more gear than I normally us. On the wife's bike she runs a 52/34 q-ring like Rick. Below 34T there some question as to the benefit because they are nearly round. This is sort of true of the 34T Q-Ring as well, but there is still enough ovoid on the ring that it makes cross chaining work better if both rings are Q's.

The least expensive way try it is to get just a big ring only, probably used from ebay. As far as new the best place that always seems to have inventory is http://www.twohubs.com they sell the weird combos we need on recumbents ie: 110BCD 52/34 as a set; so they are a good place to start to see what combinations are valid.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Key is proper setup. Once they are dialed in it is great and I use them any any bike I have set up for longer rides and/or performance.

It has been my experience that people who gave up on them right away just simply did not put in the miles to dial them in properly.

Robert

Suz

Thank you for the feedback. Sadly I bent the 48T chainring on my sofrider in a very very slow motion sideways tipover. First day with my clipless and a MBB. So, I thought since I need a new chainring anyway, I'd look into Q rings. However should I be changing from the 48/34 to a 52/34? I saw a 46/34 combo, but wasn't sure if there would be a big enough difference between 46 and 34 with the recumbent.
I live in Idaho, flat in the valley but I can definitely find hills.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have round ring 50/34's on a 20" quest and it goes like a bat out of...... So that should work on a soft rider; but to do that it requires a road capacity front dreailuer like a SRAM Force22 or a Rival. You also can't make the boom shorter than 2 or 3 with that big ring or you will get chain interference on the front derailluer due to the angle of attack to the wheel.

A 46T Q-ring has a big diameter that is like at 49 or 50 and a small that is 43 ish (sorry I don't have the chart handy but you get the idea). So so a Qring 46/34 would be great replacement for a 48/34 round ring if you like your current gearing.

Jeremy S

Dude
I've noticed quite a few people using Rotor Q-Rings. Are they really worth the money? What benefits have you found using the Q-rings?

Hi Suz, whether they're worth the money is of course subjective and depends on the person. But I do like mine (50/34 compact on my Silvio 2.0). The pedaling stroke just feels smoother, and after I put them on my Strava measured times on all the hill climbing segments of my rides improved (far from a scientific observation, but there it is).

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Wait wasn't that Bio-pace....
Yep, I got a set hanging up in the garage! They seem to be more square with rounded corners!

biopacefront.jpg

LarryOz

Nice Christmas ornaments now I guess! Get them gold plated and hang em up somewhere!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice Christmas ornaments now I guess! Get them gold plated and hang em up somewhere!
Actually believe it or not. They are on my wife's Tour Easy. Perry Butler (a well know recumbent personality from BentRider Online and also live in the same neck of the woods as Bob) set them up for his wife Terry when they toured Austria some years back. I purchased the TE and asked my wife Tc, if she wanted me to change them to round. She said no, "don't touch my bike". So there they stay forever. I'm allowed to fix her flats and tune her RD & FD, but can't do upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suz

LarryOz

You could still gold-plate them for her! :)
That would earn some serious brownie points - but better buy a stouter lock for her.