Q&V Disk Brakes, and other part commonality.

Psiberzerker

Okay, I got some money coming to me, and by my calculations it should be just about enough to order the Q3, and the S30 Frameset. The plan is to have 2 frames, for flatland training, and a Beater for daily driving so I don't wear down the Road Bike. It also helps that the components I want ship with the Q, the elyptical ring, geared hub, and most importantly Disk Brakes. Another reason for this project is I really like 24" "Cruiser" wheels for gearing. Big enough to handle the occasional 4" curb, but small enough that the turning circumference doesn't rob me at starts from a standing position. So anyway, neither frame is set up for this rim size, so I'm willing to spend a little to have a couple wheels built with Brake Disks.

Just 2, so I can swap them between both frames along with the drivetrain (I'll eventually also add cranksets, and chains) for different kinds of riding, but only if the Disk Brake mounts are common enough that I can bolt on the same calipers for the same disks on the wheels. So, the first question is will the same disks/brakes work on both frames? I'm really more concerned about the rear, so if the front triangles aren't common, I might be able to swap those into one frankenbike from the other. (Also, if I have 1 brake, I want it in the rrar to prevent crank-stands on emergency stops.) If anyone has some concerns about putting the Q3 drive components on the S30 triangles, for instance the Hub/derailleur, or E-ring, don't be shy.

While I'm at it, I'll just go ahead and ask if anyone has even heard of fitting 24" rims to either, or both bikes. If so, any experiences you can share on the difficulty of the conversions (I'll cut, and tap my own spokes if I have to) as well as the drive and handling characteristics of either result. (Just let me know which frame you're talking about.) I don't really mind replicating just about everything, when I'm ready to hit the road, I plan to tote a full set of spares, but the more common parts I have, the easier it will be to swap between the respective frames. I've lurked long enough to realize that the Company does pay attention to these forums, so I'll also request at least experimenting with 24" parts on the existing frames, if not developing alternate forks (Triangles, rear swing arm for the Q, preferably straight) in this size.

Thanks everyone in advance for your feedback.

billyk

Guru
rear brake not so useful

Re your comment "if I have 1 brake, I want it in the rear to prevent crank-stands on emergency stops".

Have you ridden a Cruzbike? I think you'll find that the rear brake is not so useful as it is VERY easy to lock the wheel. As the weight is thrown forward in braking, there is little traction in the rear and it will slide. On the other hand, the same physics means that the front brake becomes more effective.

I used to worry about "crank-stands", too, but after more than 5000 miles in urban traffic on my Quest, plenty of short stops, nothing even close to that has happened so I've stopped worrying. No doubt going over the handlebars would be a very bad day but in the real world it doesn't seem to happen any more than on an upright bike. Has anyone here gone over the handlebars?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Rear Brake

Billyk is absolutely correct.

Stoppies, the opposite of wheelies, is what I call it when the rear wheel lofts up
off of the road under braking.
When that happens, your rear brake is useless... because your rear wheel is no longer
in contact with the road.
This is why you need your front brake.

Stoppies are easier to induce when you are rolling down hill.
Stoppies are almost impossible when you are pedaling uphill.

Practice using your brakes down hill, when there are no obstacles/cars
around to distract you.
Make sure that your practice area is both level and straight: No curves.

No, I have never gone over the handlebars!
But I do have a lot of fun with intentional stoppies at stop signs.
...My rear tyre does have a few flat spots, from sliding on the road during heavy braking.

Have fun!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
There will be issues.

As the Q ships.......

1) The Internal gear hub is 451 or 559; Unfortunately hub will not work on the Silvio because it requires dropouts for the axle. You will have to convert the Q to a Traditional rear hub with a removable skewer to use the same drive wheel on the Silvio; there's no way to convert the Silvio; as the front triangle would be compromised. You could hack it together but you wouldn't be able to do a in the field wheel change.

2) The Q is 135mm the S30 is 132mm so you should be able to share the new wheel

3) The front crank on the Q is a 155mm single sided 110 BCD; if you drop the IGH you will need at least a double on the nose in most cases. You can use that crank as a double by removing the basguard, but you will be right shifted a fair amount. I have one converted that way to a 20 speed with out any real problems; It just requires fronts shifts to be with care, under load at that angle you are going to drop the chain. You will also need Clamp on Deraiaurs and a Clamp on Cable pully to turn the front derailuer cable.

4) If you drop the IGH on the Q you will need new shifters; the DD shifters aren't useful for non DD hubs, I used Sram X-series twisters.

5) The Q ships with BB5's if you want to move the wheels back and forth (140mm rotor on rear, and 160mm rotor on front) it will work but BB5's are hard to tune; you'd probably want to upgrade to TRP brakes and use them on both frames.

6) To get a 24" wheel to fit the Q you will need to order the 559 model; the 451 model has a chain stay that is too short to fit a 24" wheel.

See the Quickr thread for photos of the modified Crank.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The Q 451 is no longer in

The Q 451 is no longer in stock, so that would not be a purchase option at this time. That said, the 559 Q can fit every wheel size there is 700c and below, so if you are interested in wheel builds and what works or does not work there are options there if you want to contact me at Cruzbike directly.

My personal Q is equipped with a 406 setup and it rocks. It is my favorite "hop on and ride" bike hands down.

The points ratz makes above are accurate as well - the drivetrain components are not really swappable between the Q and the S30 for the most part. Maybe there is some swappability but that would entail so much work and hassle that it would not be worth it (speaking as a bike mechanic) and it is too easy to damage stuff moving it around. Really the bikes are completely different animals that share the similar FWD DNA but even then they handle and ride completely differently.

No matter what I am very sure that you will love both.

Robert