Q559

Gary

Last week I requested a test drive on the Q559. Now I don't see the 559 for sale on the website. Does anyone know what happened? I'm new to biking so I don't want to buy a $4000 bike until I know more about biking. I need a recumbent due to an ankle replacement gone wrong. The Q559 seemed like it might be the perfect bike for me.

bubbabent

I was seriously going to buy a Q559 and then it was gone. I ended up getting a used Silvio 1.5 from Kansas City/ Craigslist

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hasn't been an announcement but it does appear that the days for the internal gear hub Quest might be over.. If someone is seriously looking for one I have 2 in the garage that might be slated for replacement by Silvios. I'm guessing we will here something soon.

DavidJL

It sure seems hard to find much of any used Cruzbikes at all. If the Quest is discontinued, will there still be a QX100?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
If the Quest is discontinued, will there still be a QX100?
They only just brought out the QX100 last fall. I can't see it going away anytime soon. It's kind of a combination of the old Sofrider and the original Quest. CB knows they need an entry-level, commuter/utility bike. Going completely to the QX100 allows them to (1) drop the Dual Drive, which some riders think makes the front end too heavy; (2) drop their proprietary elliptical 42T chainring; (3) drop the claims of having a folding bike; (4) drop the Quest name altogether, which conflicts with a brand of velomobile and maybe some other recumbent model as well.

I like the Dual Drive, in part because having no front derailleur makes it so easy to adjust the front triangle for other riders (but mainly because I dislike shifting double cranksets so much). If I were going to buy a QX100, I'd ditch the FD in favor of a Patterson Metropolis two-speed crankset. I seriously considered it when I modded my Q451 with larger wheels last winter. Had I known at the time that larger chainrings were available to raise the gearing for the Patterson drive, I would have gone that route.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The Q559 is sold out and gone forever. I do have a few demo models that can be sold - so if you are interested in those get hold of me via PM. Otherwise the QX100 is now taking its place.

The QX100 is the same frame, so the real difference is in the gearing, and colors of course.

Robert

Gunnstein

(...) drop the Dual Drive, which some riders think makes the front end too heavy (...)

Maybe the DD is heavier than the double crankset, but the DD's weight is nearly in line with the steering axis, so it doesn't move about much. The chainring / front derailer weight is way out front where it affects the steering more, FWIW. It's nothing compared to the weight of my legs, of course.

Like you I discover I'm not a fan of the double. It means shifting up front more often than I'm used to. A triple can be set up so that the middle can be used for all but the steepest up/down hills. Since I'm replacing the wheelset anyway, my options are open: DualDrive, or the Sturmey Archer equivalent CS-RK3, or Patterson, Efneo, Schlumpf...

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Maybe the DD is heavier than the double crankset, but the DD's weight is nearly in line with the steering axis, so it doesn't move about much. The chainring / front derailer weight is way out front where it affects the steering more, FWIW. It's nothing compared to the weight of my legs, of course.

Like you I discover I'm not a fan of the double. It means shifting up front more often than I'm used to. A triple can be set up so that the middle can be used for all but the steepest up/down hills. Since I'm replacing the wheelset anyway, my options are open: DualDrive, or the Sturmey Archer equivalent CS-RK3, or Patterson, Efneo, Schlumpf...

IF going planetary; consider the Schlumpf mountain drive versus the speed and high speed drives. That would give you direct drive most of the time; and hence more efficient. The challenge is going to be not under-geared with any of the planters options. The Dual Drive is of course nice because it's essentially a triple. Not sure the Sturmey Archer is durable enough to use on the MBB; I've heard too my trikers complain bout them breaking. Patterson and Efneo we are still waiting for someone to report on.

Before abandoning the double you can try gearing like we use. The inner ring is a QXL 36 and the big ring is a Q52; pair with an 11-28T on the 451 wheels I can claimb a wall pulling the kids in a trailer. With the bigger wheels; an 11-36T cassette should accomplish the same type of ranges.

Also curious to try a SRAM 1x11 with the 10-42T cassette and the 34 Ring. I put that on my son's gravel bike and the range is wild; and it's really affordable due to the simplicity

rfneep

I have an original Q559 wheelset (with the SRAM Dual Drive) and all of the drivetrain except the elliptical crankset that I am preparing to put up for sale. It will effectively convert your QX100 to a Quest 559 but without the elliptical chainring. The wheels are in excellent shape and I just had them inspected and trued by a LBS. I hoping to getting around to post it soon, but if you are interested, give me a holler and we can discuss.

Ray

Gunnstein

Bob,
I think I have steeper walls to climb where I'm at, or it's a motor problem :) 53/34 cranks with 11-34 cassette on 406 wheels is close enough to the range I want. It's more a convenience thing - with a triple or a dualdrive I can stay in the middle most of the time, even when stopping.

I just checked Efneo, they seem to be limited to a 28t ring still. The 50t max equivalent is usable even with 406 wheels, but it's not so good that the direct drive is in 1st gear, which won't be used much.

The SRAM 1x11 and 1x12 is interesting and exists even in 10-50t now, but is rather expensive for parts that wear out in a few thousand kms. Also I hear there is some chain noise using the huge sprockets, the chain doesn't much like the angles and may derail if you pedal backwards a little.

Gunnstein

I have an original Q559 wheelset (with the SRAM Dual Drive) and all of the drivetrain except the elliptical crankset that I am preparing to put up for sale. It will effectively convert your QX100 to a Quest 559 but without the elliptical chainring. The wheels are in excellent shape and I just had them inspected and trued by a LBS. I hoping to getting around to post it soon, but if you are interested, give me a holler and we can discuss.

Ray

Thanks, but I need 406 wheels. The tires I want don't exist in 451. Also, I'll probably want wider rims with more spokes than the typical 451's.

quickbeam

CB knows they need an entry-level, commuter/utility bike.
A $1700 bike is not exactly entry-level. Sadly, for the recumbent world, it is the norm, but not for the biking community at large. I jumped on the V2K when it came out at reduced prices last winter and I've been happy with that. At some point I might buy a used Silvio, but not yet. I'm still getting used to the idea of spending 4 figures on a bike. My previous bike - a hybrid Trek that I bought for about $350 (+$100 in accessories) in 1995 is still working, my son rides that.

I have a co-worker who just bought a bike, I recommended the LBS, he went there, but the cheapest was $350, so he ended up getting a $120 bike from Walmart :( To be honest though, he doesn't ride or exercise, and just wanted a bike to keep up with a girl he apparently recently met. Targeting that audience is probably not worthwhile, but Tolhurst's original conversion kit was designed to introduce recumbents to people that weren't going to spend 4 figures on a bike of any kind.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
A $1700 bike is not exactly entry-level. Sadly, for the recumbent world, it is the norm, but not for the biking community at large. I jumped on the V2K when it came out at reduced prices last winter and I've been happy with that. At some point I might buy a used Silvio, but not yet. I'm still getting used to the idea of spending 4 figures on a bike. My previous bike - a hybrid Trek that I bought for about $350 (+$100 in accessories) in 1995 is still working, my son rides that.

For what it's worth Trek, and Cannondale both sold recumbents back in the day with 4 figure prices.

"Significantly, though, Trek is the first major company to take a step into the recumbent market with the $1500 Trek R200." -- BicycleUSA Volume 35, 1999

6056014082_010faf17c1_b.jpg
bicycles-010.jpg

Last edited:

DavidJL

Three cross spoking did not work out on NuVinci hub, so I installed the original 48 tooth chainring with the original 9-speed 11-34 cassette. Gears are much wider spaced, but am going to stick with this setup. It will be much easier to let others try the bike without the front derailleur restricting the boom. The ultimate one-by setup would be the 12-speed 10-50 SRAM cassette.
Not sure if there is any way to get recumbent usage high enough to get the prices more in line with those of upright bikes.