QR skewer is fixed???!

bret

I tried to remove the front QR skewer this morning, and discovered it does not come out. I would like to build new wheels (probably NuVinci hub) for my Quest v1, and I need to know if this is some requirement, and why, so I can choose the correct parts:
20170720_front_qr_small.jpg
I stopped trying to pull the skewer out while I await some replies. I think that little set screw might be holding it, but maybe that's something else.

Do I need this - and very importantly - why?

Thanks in advance.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Maybe a good idea to hit it with something. I envisage something a bit like a hammer, but with a head made of some sort of black bendy stuff. Maybe ratz knows the technical term.

bret

The threaded end of the skewer was bent. It's out now.

I'm going into a bike shop tomorrow, hopefully to buy a QR skewer that lets me use the stationary trainer I picked up, and also one for the road, if not the same one.

bret

Did you use a rubber mallet to move it???
I don't have one.

My dad was a Panel Beater, and I worked for him summers. I screwed the collar most of the way in and hit that to shift it.

It's replaced now with a skewer that lets me use the trainer I picked up from the verge the other night:
20170721_on_trainer.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Is the trainer fluid or magnetic resistance?

If fluid the propeller is designed to flow in One Direction creating a set resistance. If you have it rotating the other direction the prop is going the other direction this possibly giving you a different level of resistance. Id imagine is should work still but question if premature wear would be a concern.

If it's magnetic I personally can't see why it would matter and also I'd sell it and get a cheap fluid trainer instead :p

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Given the replies in this thread, tell me if you're serious, and if you are please tell me why it matters.
What makes you think they aren't serious about needing a rubber mallet? :D It does turn out to be quite useful for gently persuading two pieces to line up.

Yes, they're serious about the direction of the trainer. On an upright, you'd have that resistance wheel on the back side of the drive wheel; it should be the same for our bikes. Unless you're planning to pedal backwards. ;)

What Jason said about the intended direction of travel of the resistance makes sense. I can think of a couple other possible reasons, but I'd only be speculating.

ETA--I did find something on Art's Cyclery about setting up a trainer. "Step 3: Place your bike into the trainer, making sure to match the skewer lever on the non-drive side to the appropriate slots in the axle clamp."

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What they said, plus you burn through tires a lot faster in that orientation (even if you have a trainer that doesn't care). How do I know? I had our kinetic mounted that way and has ummmmm.... issues that requires $$$ to fix. You in good company in not noticing; it's not obvious; and then it is.

bret

Is the resistance adjustable?
20170807_trainer_sm.jpg
Yes, it is adjustable. In the picture, you can see a black cable coming forward, and then it is laid around and heads backwards off view up to the handlebar. It has several detents, and the effort varies notably with the setting.

The black knob at bottom right center (of the stand) adjusts the pressure of the roller against the wheel, and the grey shaft heading to the right from just above that knob pulls out to let the entire assembly rotate between stops for 26, 27, 28 tires.

The stand contacts the QR skewer with simple cylinder/cups - no slots. So, I replaced the skewer I had, as the original lever was centered and there was no good surface presented for the stand ends to push against. Now, the skewer is conical on the screw side, and a rounded cylinder on the lever side, and the lever is not at the tip, but partway down the head, leaving the crown free for the cup on the shaft of the stand to contact. You can see the chrome skewer lever on the near side pointing upwards.

There are no electrics anywhere in this stand - it seems all mechanical. That said, I have no idea if it's magnetic or fluid, or otherwise. It doesn't sound like any mechanical friction, though.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
99% sure it's magnetic resistance then in which would potentially be the least problematic if mounted backwards but still it's just as easy to mount it the correct way.