Quest on AIR

lalbander

I see the A5-RR1 on ebay but

I see the A5-RR1 on ebay but not the A5-RE. the only difference seems to be that the RR1 has a "air top out chamber and valve"
Does anyone here know what difference that will make?
Thanks
Geoff

BTW I tried to stiffen up the existing spring shock but only seemed to succeed in winding it up and down.
turning it doesnt seem to make much difference. How do I stiffen it up?

jphipps

air shock

The A5-RE is a single chamber so the ride may not be adjusted to your exact preference. The A5-RR1 has a negative air chamber plus the main chamber. I have used both and can say that the A5-RR1 will give you a nicer ride. I also changed the length of the shock about 30 mm. to 150 mm. and the resulting ride is more tuned to my style of riding. With the longer shock I feel a little elevated, but not to high.

Later,
Jphipps

Psiberzerker

The power loss of the rear

The power loss of the rear shock is because the front wheel has to pull you forward, but there's a little give from the back wheel lagging, with each surge of power. (More consistent stroke should minimize this, and the E-ring is probably part of that.) Keep in mind, this is an order of deformity on the order of low pressure fatty tires flattening to cause more Rolling Resistance. How much depends on how much play you have in the suspension (It's basically centered between the wheels) so your adjustment to right about the load in the seat (Rider weight) is a good place to start before dialing out the remaining energy from surging. Also, gear down and spin, as always while climbing, and acellerating. (A bright guy by the name of Einstein said that Gravity, and Acceleration are indistinguishable, so Inerta is like a hill that slowly flattens out as you gain Momentum.) I'll probably experiment with adjustability in my rear shock when I get my Q3. Right now I have little more than Theory, and a good understanding of the Engineering.

jphipps

Chain Wheel

I started having some back pain after installing my new A5-RR1 150mm shock, the quest seemed harder to ride on starts and uphill. So I did some research online and discovered that the elliptical bump is "retarded" 90 degrees for upright bikes vs recumbent bikes. Since my Quest is now slightly higher and the push angle has changed, I "retarded " my elliptical ring one hole. Problem solved, what a comfortable ride and easier to climb and start. Thank you John for including that adjustment in the elliptical chain ring. Of course other things changed when the seat height went up, the kick-stand no longer worked, actually it never worked very well unless the front wheel was supported. I made a new kick stand as can be seen in the picture.

Later,

The Retard