Questing Oahu...

jwitten

Hello all,

I brought the Quest along with me on my Oahu airline layover today. Our hotel is located in the Ala Moana district of downtown HonoluIu. I road the Quest through Waikiki, around Diamond Head, and cruz'd by the multi-million dollar beachfront homes in Kahala. The return trip was around the opposite side of Diamond Head and back through Waikiki.

The city has an incredible amount of traffic, and is not the friendliest biking town, but I was able to ride along the sidewalks, and the Ala Wai Canal path for a good portion of the ride to get out of the city. Dodging pedestrians was a bit of a challenge as well, with so many tourists being out and about. Speed was definitely not the objective today, but the terms safety and survival come to mind. After clearing town, the ride was much more relaxed as I proceeded around the south of Diamond Head and over to the less congested Kahala community. I stopped at a few beachfront parks and took in the scenery before returning around the opposite side of Diamond Head. I had intended to ride into the Diamond Head crater, and perhaps even lock up the bike for a climb to the top, but the tunnel has no margin, and no sidewalk, so I decided not to tempt fate!

Anyway, here are a few photos...

Q2.JPG

View of downtown Honolulu from Ala Moana Park

Q1a.jpg

Ala Wai Canal with Outrigger Canoe. The 6 foot drop into the canal was a bit unnerving at times while dodging pedestrians along the path.

Q6.JPG

Diamond Head Crater (hiking path starts from inside the Crater and ends at the lookout on the peak)

Q3.JPG

Kahala neighborhood in foreground. Koko Head in the distance on left, Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve on right. I had intended to ride out to Koko Head, but the 3 lanes of heavy traffic with intense road noise, and the smallish margin just weren't to my liking. Lots more fun just cruising the quiet residential streets near the water!

On this ride, I sorta wish I had wider tires for the many diversions off into the grass and dirt while dodging people. I'll continue with the stock tires for a few months, but I can see the advantages of having 2" Big Apples on a standard 20" tire for ventures off the paved roads and pathways.

I have another trip back to Oahu next week, so maybe I'll try an alternate route. The following week I'll be in Maui, which is much less congested. I'll also have a full day to pedal around Oakland, California in a few weeks. The cities around the San Farnsisco Bay, including Oakland, are working on a 200 mile continuous path around the Bay. It isn't complete yet, but a good portion of the path in Oakland is, with only a few short diversions onto the streets before joining up with the next section.

I guess that's about it.

Take Care,

Jeff

chrisblessing

Sweet

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I'm envious of those who have such gorgeous scenery to accompany them on their rides. Keep enjoying your Quest.